Pomdemski's snare method!

ecpietscheck

What a great book!
All exercises are awesome, some are interesting and hard to get through thoroughly...
Has any of you got over this book or are practicing it?

I went about half-way through this book when I was about 12 (years ago). I think I still have it somewhere. It's a very good book. The only thing I didn't like was the way Podemski wrote in his abbreviated style certain patterns. No one else did that in their books, so I was always deciphering what he wrote as opposed to what I'd see in other places.

His beginning tympani section in the book was extremely helpful to me when I got to high school and college. Ah, the good ol' days!

I went about half-way through this book when I was about 12 (years ago). I think I still have it somewhere. It's a very good book. The only thing I didn't like was the way Podemski wrote in his abbreviated style certain patterns. No one else did that in their books, so I was always deciphering what he wrote as opposed to what I'd see in other places.
!

I use it but I wish when Cirone went through it he would have gotten rid of those damn abbreviations, although I have seen them elsewhere. The are a pain in the bum. :)

I own it. It's a good book, but not on the level of Stone's books though.

If I may politely say that I'm not sure what you mean. Stone wrote technique books and Podemski wrote a reading/concert snare book. Yes, the Podemski book has rudiments in the beginning, but pretty much all books did back then.

It's like comparing The Art of Bop Drumming to Great Hands for a Lifetime and saying one is better than the other.

Jeff

If I may politely say that I'm not sure what you mean. Stone wrote technique books and Podemski wrote a reading/concert snare book. Yes, the Podemski book has rudiments in the beginning, but pretty much all books did back then.

It's like comparing The Art of Bop Drumming to Great Hands for a Lifetime and saying one is better than the other.

Jeff
That's true, Podemski's book is more of a reading book. I originally bought it as an alternative to Stick Control, but I found myself doing a lot of reading in the later exercises. And then I discovered Accents & Rebounds, and the Podemski book got put away. I still play it sometimes, but it's not a daily thing like Stone's books are. Good point.

That's true, Podemski's book is more of a reading book. I originally bought it as an alternative to Stick Control, but I found myself doing a lot of reading in the later exercises. And then I discovered Accents & Rebounds, and the Podemski book got put away. I still play it sometimes, but it's not a daily thing like Stone's books are. Good point.

Yes, many books from that era start with the rudiments and then move on to other topics. That's why at first glance it can look like a technique book.

Jeff

Back