computer music production

toddy

Platinum Member
i was wondering if there are many people on the forum that make music via software/synths? be it dubstep, dnb, trance, bassline, pop, chiptune, anything. commercial or for fun. interested to hear peoples creations!

http://soundcloud.com/itstoddy/somalian-pirates-wii

[only linking one of my random tunes in the hope other people will be like "dude you suck i'm way better" and post their stuff :D]

sweet dude i'm going to put it on in the background whilst i edit a site, already sounds sweet! what VST's were you using?

edit: first song sounds like it should be the theme for an american TV show.

well I have to say I really enjoyed the album, some of those songs would work really well along with other media!

I must admit I'm quite pleased with it considering how long ago I did it, I was a lot newer to music production at the time.

I was using Cubase SL3 at the time, and almost all the VSTs are interesting freeware ones.
I'll see what I can remember...

Subduer and Chimera by Majken, which are a basic 3-oscillator subtractive synth and a really interesting synth that uses white noise generators instead of oscillators, and has band-pass and notch filters after that to define the notes. There's one called Iblit which is a monophonic synth that's great for bass sounds...something called Crystal which I used on 'Who Knows', bit complicated but good for atmospheric sounds...that might be it, besides A1 that was bundled with Cubase 3. The drum samples are all free from Future Music magazine. It was a very cheap album to make, all in all!

Your track is the interesting kind of mad, I like the sounds and rhythms very much! What are you using? And are all your levels in the red, by any chance?

Will comment on the postings later when I've had a chance to listen. Just listening to You're a Wizard, Harry ... the crazy hig pitched keys are very cool.

I did a cassette album in the late 80s, using a Tamaha CX5, an ESQ1, with a bit of DX100 played live and some overdubs by the guitarist I'd played with regularly. Drum machine was a 707. It was recorded to cassette on a 4 track Portastudio. Soon afterwards another guitarist I'd played with borrowed most of my gear, went interstate with it (without asking me), went off the rails and pawned it. That hurt, although it's all very primitive compared with what's available today.

Anyway, a couple of the tracks that sound pretty old compared with you young 'uns :)

Bazo Gonda: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4HXNNLuR7s

Under the Sea (MP3 - live electric piano solo by the guitarist - the good one): http://www.sangrea.net/rijidij/mp3/Grea-14-Under_the_sea(reprise).mp3

Recently I did a thing using a drum track (in 23/8) made with Reason, bowed cymbals, snippets of an ambient tune I'd made for the cassette album, plus some random voices from band rehearsal recordings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NatiJMZ_L4

Now listening to Red Guard ... very atmospheric.

I must admit I'm quite pleased with it considering how long ago I did it, I was a lot newer to music production at the time.

I was using Cubase SL3 at the time, and almost all the VSTs are interesting freeware ones.
I'll see what I can remember...

ahhh thanks for listing them i'll try some of them out! and yes you should be, i really like the songs! not even taking into account how old they are, they're just well put together in general.

i use battery to load up the main kick & claps, & i record some live drums or with my e-kit in superior drummer, if needed, and sometimes record some cymbals. the rest of the stuff consists of various synths (massive, albino, absynth). i clipped some of the synths on purpose to make them a bit gnarly. i actually have the same song but at 140bpm, a little more chilled, with vocals. it sounds quite a bit different! haha

polly that afro-electronica song is sweet. there's a festival on my island that often has some of this sort of stuff, really nice to listen to in the sun! as for the "under the sea" song I was expecting a little mermaid cover, but this is much better ;)

I've just completed a degree, a lot of which was actually computer music production. If you want to know more, feel free to PM me. I have to warn you that what I've been doing is deeply avant-garde and is in no way conventionally musical. I could go into depth over my work here, but I don't think it's necessary or productive!

Back