Pearl MCX Masters Floor Tom

PeteN

Silver Member
Hey everyone, I have a new Masters MCX kit that I'm slowly putting new heads on and I wanted to get some feedback from you guys in regards to tuning on my 14" floor tom. I am using Aquarian Super 2 with StudioX ring on batter and Aquarian Classic Clear for reso. I just got back into drumming a few years ago after a 10 year break but have been playing mostly on my Yamaha DTXPress E-Kit and just wanted to know what you guys think of my tuning because I'm usually ok except with floor toms but I think I like the way this sounds.

Here's the link and feel free to critique my tuning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKJI-3sn2-0

Thanks

Last edited:
Do you think it sounds good? Do you think it sounds good with the rest of your kit? If so, great, you got your sound!

To me, it's way too dead. But that is my opinion, what really matters is what you think!

LOL....thanks Mr.L for your reply and your honesty and I liked it at first yet was also on the fence about it being to too dead as well so I swapped out the Aquarian Super2 batter with studio ring with a normal coated Super2 without studio ring the other day and it does have more life to it now. I think I'm done with any type of extra dampened heads, seems like you can always add moongel or even some gaffers tape if you don't have the time to tune out harshness in a pinch but cannot remove built in dampening.

Thanks again for your reply

Yes, I agree that such a nice drum is too muffled. Most modern drummers do not muffle the toms at all. I like Evans EC2 tops over EC Resonant bottoms. G2 tops are good too. The Aquarian two-ply without the "ring" attached should be much better. Good luck.

Back