The name of the kit is influencing me!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So I got a Ludwig Breakbeats kit for Christmas and today I'm finally getting to spend some quality time with it after tuning it and spiffing it up for how I play. Funny thing is, the name of the kit is influencing me at the moment as everything I'm playing is hip-hoppish!

I'm sure my neighbors are digging it but you know me, it's such a style I'm known for ;)

I need some DJ friends with baggy pants.

Attachments

• Drum-room-web.jpg
    Drum-room-web.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,387
Sounds like someone needs an intervention! Step away from the hips and hops!

"So I got a Ludwig Breakbeats kit for Christmas"
Im sure that the last thing that anyone in your family would do is give you another drum kit.
Somehow I think that your statement should read like this;
"So I bought myself a Ludwig Breakbeats kit for Christmas" :)

i beens seeing them at GC stacked for some weeks now. only last week did they set them on the floor and i got a chance for a test ride. its a pretty cool little kit with alot of foundation to learn fundamentals! :)

OK this looks like it's gonna be fun, I'm getting some popcorn, anyone want any?

I'm wondering how much of a surprise this is. Bo you are a constant source of wonderment for me. As in, I wonder what Bo is gonna do next.

But congratulations man. Nice present.

"So I got a Ludwig Breakbeats kit for Christmas"
Im sure that the last thing that anyone in your family would do is give you another drum kit.
Somehow I think that your statement should read like this;
"So I bought myself a Ludwig Breakbeats kit for Christmas" :)

Well, Bob, you're partially correct. However, the wife pushed me in to this one as I just got offered to play for a big dance studio run by a former show director and choreographer for my employer, and she just didn't see me hauling the big Ludwigs out of the house twice a week to play for tap and jazz classes three hours at a time. So we were at the local Sam Ash and she saw them and said "these will be perfect" while reminding me I shoulda' kept the Safaris I had. And she was right and willing to pay for them. What a great wife ;)

Funny thing, they actually sound good with the stock Chinese heads. But I do want to put wooden hoops on the bass drum. Bass drums just feel better with wooden hoops.

I don't think he got it for Christmas, I think he got it for December. I'm waiting for January to see what he gets.

I'm just chortling at the barbs he was throwing at me last year about my 12" snare and 13" hats.

My two kits total 42 inches of kick... yours top out at 40! so there! (Your Rogers doesn't get to count)

Well, Bob, you're partially correct. However, the wife pushed me in to this one as I just got offered to play for a big dance studio run by a former show director and choreographer for my employer, and she just didn't see me hauling the big Ludwigs out of the house twice a week to play for tap and jazz classes three hours at a time. So we were at the local Sam Ash and she saw them and said "these will be perfect" while reminding me I shoulda' kept the Safaris I had. And she was right and willing to pay for them. What a great wife ;)

Funny thing, they actually sound good with the stock Chinese heads. But I do want to put wooden hoops on the bass drum. Bass drums just feel better with wooden hoops.
See you should have kept the Sonor Safari! Did she say, "I TOLD YOU SO!"? :)

Yes - she did say "I told you so", but she understands my love of the Ludwig mojo. And I still make fun of 12" snares and 13" hi-hats - as I'm still using a 14" snare and 15" hi-hats. I do have to make do with the 14x16 bass drum, but this is forced by practicality. I did a test the other day and I can get the whole kit in the cab of my truck (I have a Ford F-150 without an extra cab). So the bass drum and snare are stacked on the passenger seat, and the two toms fit behind me, along with the hardware and a couple of cymbals. It's rockin'!

I love my 13 1/4" K Zildjian Hybrid Hi-Hats :)
They work really well on my 6 piece Lud Classic with the 12" and 13" toms on the left of my BD. That extra inch in space savings means a lot.

That Breakbeats looks like a fun little set. I saw one stacked up recently, but it wasn't set up to play. I'd like to give it a spin sometime.

Going to give the thread a little a little detour here - ha ha. Sorry Bo.

I love my 13 1/4" K Zildjian Hybrid Hi-Hats :)
They work really well on my 6 piece Lud Classic with the 12" and 13" toms on the left of my BD. That extra inch in space savings means a lot.

A while ago, I picked up a used cracked 14" K Custom Dark hi hat top. I cut it down and polished the bell on it. When I finished trimming out the cracked area, I ended up with 13 1/4".
Fast forward to recently. I finally ran across a used 13 1/4" K Hybrid bottom and snatched it up right away.
What a fantastic pairing - I'm wowed every time I play them. And using them in conjunction with a 13" snare, everything sits nice and snug.
As much as I like my 14" hats and snares, I think I'm a 13" convert.
Here's a fuzzy pic for y'all - ha ha: EDIT - replaced fuzzy pic

And now - back to Bo's Breakbeat thread. Sorry for the derail Bo.

Last edited:
Aww, what a cute little set! Appropriately sized too!

I don't think he got it for Christmas, I think he got it for December. I'm waiting for January to see what he gets.

I think this is exactly right on. My money says that whatever it is, it will say Ludwig and be set up backwards.

Aww, what a cute little set! Appropriately sized too!...

We need a pic of those two sets side by side, with Bo standing between them.

The Breakbeats kit probably can't be beat when you've got to fit into really small spaces, but the one I saw in the store looked just a little too small.

That's pretty small, but the Sonor Martini kit is even smaller, with a 14" bass drum:

http://www.sonor.com/instruments/drums/special-edition-series/martini-se/

sse-martini-turquois-galaxy-sparkle-fb.jpg

I broke down today and called the guys at Pro Drum on the off-chance they might have 16" maple bass drum hoops. And of course, they did! So I ran out to Hollywood and picked them up - I'm waiting for the paint to dry - I hate metal bass drum hoops, especially when they don't allow the provided pedal riser to really lock on to it.

I broke down today and called the guys at Pro Drum on the off-chance they might have 16" maple bass drum hoops. And of course, they did! So I ran out to Hollywood and picked them up - I'm waiting for the paint to dry - I hate metal bass drum hoops, especially when they don't allow the provided pedal riser to really lock on to it.

Ha ha - the things we do for our drums.

You're sure about that Bo? I think the stock hoops look pretty good on there. Might be best to hang onto them, so you can put them back on if you decide to sell the kit.

The moral of this story is, Never Sell Anything!
I always have things for sale and I am happy when they don't sell.
I revisit drums from time to time.

Ha ha - the things we do for our drums.

You're sure about that Bo? I think the stock hoops look pretty good on there. Might be best to hang onto them, so you can put them back on if you decide to sell the kit.

I still have them. I just find it funny that you would be provided with a bass drum lift that fits and holds better on a straight hoop made out of wood, yet they give you metal ones that have this recessed channel in the middle. Maybe if they did the bass drum pedal lift like Sonor did with the Safari, then it wouldn't matter what the hoops were - you could go with regular triple-flanged hoops in that case and really lighten the drum up. But I'll take wood ones for this purpose.

And I agree, the Sonor Martini is just silly. I mean, a 14" bass drum? Come on.

Back