Does anyone use the Regal Tip (by Calato) sticks?

Not a big fan of the Regal Tip sticks. Tried the 5A, 9A, 5AX and Q3000 and all of them slipped right out of my hand. They should be called "Regal Slip" in my opinion. Didnt last very long either, and some pairs were warped. Cheers.

I just got some Regal Tip NYLONS, and the finish on them is not as sticky as the wooden tips. I would assume there should be no difference.

What sticks do you use now, and what do you like about them?

I've been useing Regal 5B's for 30yrs. Everytime I try another brand I always go back to Regal because of the way they feel, there so comfortable in my hands. I've tried other brand because I'm a heavy hitter and I wanted to see if another brand would last longer.I never found out because not one brand has felt as comfortable as Regal for me.

I've been useing Regal 5B's for 30yrs. Everytime I try another brand I always go back to Regal because of the way they feel, there so comfortable in my hands. I've tried other brand because I'm a heavy hitter and I wanted to see if another brand would last longer.I never found out because not one brand has felt as comfortable as Regal for me.

Have you tried the Regal 5B Nylon tip? Do they have the same texture as the wooden tip?

I'm asking because the Nylon tips I have are not as "sticky" as the texture on the wooden tip (which is what I prefer). I ordered them from Sam Ash so I couldn't try them first.

Have you tried the Regal 5B Nylon tip? Do they have the same texture as the wooden tip?

I'm asking because the Nylon tips I have are not as "sticky" as the texture on the wooden tip (which is what I prefer). I ordered them from Sam Ash so I couldn't try them first.

They make all the sticks the same way... probably just a pair that didn't get coated enough...

So, I worked at Artist Relations Manager for 3 years for Calato 2004-2007... I would be happy to answer any questions you guys have about the company.

The finish on the sticks is a special lacquer that they have been using for over 50 years. Back in the day all stick companies used this kind of finish, but around the 80's-90's Vic and Pro Mark stopped doing this, and most companies soon fallowed, but Regal kept it.

The finish works as a fantastic grip for those of you who do not have sweaty hands when you play. For me it's the only brand of sticks I can use without grip tape.
For those players who sweat a lot more when you play, the finish does get real slippery and difficult to hold. This is why most models of Regal Tip sticks are available unfinished. Like the Vater Nude series.

The E-Tip...
This came out a few years ago. Joe Calato invented the Nylon Tip around 1958. A feature that is available from all modern drumstick companies. The purpose of the Nylon tip was to increase the life of your drumstick, a side effect of this was a brighter sound on cymbals, mostly the Ride. Not all players liked this... so Joe, the originator, went back to work and came up with the E-Tip. A slotted Nylon tip that still gives you all the added durability of a regular Nylon tip, but with a Darker-closer to wood tone.
We did an audio test for Regal's website while I still worked there. Not sure if it's still online or not, but I took 3 pairs of sticks, all the same model, 1 wood tip, one nylon and one E-series. I played all of them on a real thick Ride and recorded it. The E-Series and Wood Tip sounded virtually the same, while the nylon of course sounded brighter. We used no studio tricks or effects when recorded to make sure it was as natural sounding as we could get.

Hope this Helps, feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

I love Regal-Tip's especially the 7a's & jazz sizes..IMO no other stick makes sweeter rim-clicks than Regal-Tip i'm not sure if it's the thinner taper by the tip all i know is that they're sweeeeet..lol

keep swattin'
Bonzolead

They make all the sticks the same way... probably just a pair that didn't get coated enough...

So, I worked at Artist Relations Manager for 3 years for Calato 2004-2007... I would be happy to answer any questions you guys have about the company.

The finish on the sticks is a special lacquer that they have been using for over 50 years. Back in the day all stick companies used this kind of finish, but around the 80's-90's Vic and Pro Mark stopped doing this, and most companies soon fallowed, but Regal kept it.

The finish works as a fantastic grip for those of you who do not have sweaty hands when you play. For me it's the only brand of sticks I can use without grip tape.
For those players who sweat a lot more when you play, the finish does get real slippery and difficult to hold. This is why most models of Regal Tip sticks are available unfinished. Like the Vater Nude series.

The E-Tip...
This came out a few years ago. Joe Calato invented the Nylon Tip around 1958. A feature that is available from all modern drumstick companies. The purpose of the Nylon tip was to increase the life of your drumstick, a side effect of this was a brighter sound on cymbals, mostly the Ride. Not all players liked this... so Joe, the originator, went back to work and came up with the E-Tip. A slotted Nylon tip that still gives you all the added durability of a regular Nylon tip, but with a Darker-closer to wood tone.
We did an audio test for Regal's website while I still worked there. Not sure if it's still online or not, but I took 3 pairs of sticks, all the same model, 1 wood tip, one nylon and one E-series. I played all of them on a real thick Ride and recorded it. The E-Series and Wood Tip sounded virtually the same, while the nylon of course sounded brighter. We used no studio tricks or effects when recorded to make sure it was as natural sounding as we could get.

Hope this Helps, feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

Yeah, these Regals are the best! All my other sticks just kept slipping...
Since you offerred - here goes:

-Wouldn't those slotted tips break just as easy - being slotted AND nylon?

-Are the regular nylon tip and slotted nylon (5B) the same dimensions as the wooden tip?

Thanks!

I also used to work for Calato, before you Nick and at the Niagara falls On distribution house. Joe taught me how to pick out a good stick, unfortunately he taught me, (unknowingly) how to get the most out of the $2 bargain bin in a matter of seconds, so I have not spent the coin on grade A stick since then. Thanks Joe!

Question:

If everyone loves Regal Tips so much, why are they in so much trouble and hard to find?

Regal 5B nylon tip is different then the wood tip. The shaft is thinner and breaks much faster.

Question:

If everyone loves Regal Tips so much, why are they in so much trouble and hard to find?

Didn't know they were in trouble...what sort?

True - they don't carry them in the MF's or GC's so you have to know what you're getting. I order mine from them or Sam Ash.

Didn't know they were in trouble...what sort?

True - they don't carry them in the MF's or GC's so you have to know what you're getting. I order mine from them or Sam Ash.

I have heard from more than one store that they were in trouble and may not be in business too much longer. Has anyone else heard this? I know that no stores in this area carry their sticks.

I have heard from more than one store that they were in trouble and may not be in business too much longer. Has anyone else heard this? I know that no stores in this area carry their sticks.

That would be important to know, especially since I just discovered their amazing sticks.

Do we need to start a new post inquiring about the company status?

Whenever I've ordered them, they've had them in stock and have made no comments about this.

The drum shop manager at a large music store told me that he thinks Regal Tip is in trouble. He is running low on inventory and has had their sticks backordered for months. Places like Sam Ash ect. might have some in stock, but I'm not sure if they are ordering that often.

I've used the Rock, Jazz, and 8A Maple models. They've always been durable and consistent for me. For those who are having problems finding them, check Interstate Music.com or Memphis Drum Shop. They always have them in stock.

The drum shop manager at a large music store told me that he thinks Regal Tip is in trouble. He is running low on inventory and has had their sticks backordered for months. Places like Sam Ash ect. might have some in stock, but I'm not sure if they are ordering that often.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Either Regal Tip has excess demand and can't produce enough, or they lack funding to purchase material and pay staff. Interesting...

Ok - standby for a new post regarding alternative sticks in the future!
Must be same texture or close...

Yeah, these Regals are the best! All my other sticks just kept slipping...
Since you offerred - here goes:

-Wouldn't those slotted tips break just as easy - being slotted AND nylon?

-Are the regular nylon tip and slotted nylon (5B) the same dimensions as the wooden tip?

Thanks!

The E-Tip has the same durability as any other nylon tip. Shouldn't break easy at all...

The dimensions of some of the sticks is where things get hard....

The standard 7A, 5A, 5B and JAZZ are the same in both wood and nylon tip, BUT the nylon tip sticks have a thinner neck on them for more rebound.
A few years ago, around the time I left the company, we started to produce these same 4 models in nylon tip versions that had much thicker necks to better match the wood tip versions, these are called "Wide" so a 5A wood and a 5A "wide" nylon are exactly the same....

With the E-Series tip you can get them in both wide and regular sizes. So if you like the traditional thin neck, of a nylon tip 5B or you like the thicker version, you have options.

Hope that's not too confusing.

And to address the "in trouble" status of the company, well I don't have any first hand knowledge from the last 4 years or so, but I can tell you that at the 2011 NAMM show they had TWO booths set up for the first time... one for Regal Tip and one in another location for Direct Music Supply (the distribution company Calato owns). Plus in the last few years they have expanded Direct Music Supply in large ways. In addition that company is one of only two distribution centers for all Remo Products in the USA, and and exclusive dealer with Canada.

If Calato was in any kind of trouble then why would business expanded in such ways?

The E-Tip has the same durability as any other nylon tip. Shouldn't break easy at all...

The dimensions of some of the sticks is where things get hard....

The standard 7A, 5A, 5B and JAZZ are the same in both wood and nylon tip, BUT the nylon tip sticks have a thinner neck on them for more rebound.
A few years ago, around the time I left the company, we started to produce these same 4 models in nylon tip versions that had much thicker necks to better match the wood tip versions, these are called "Wide" so a 5A wood and a 5A "wide" nylon are exactly the same....

With the E-Series tip you can get them in both wide and regular sizes. So if you like the traditional thin neck, of a nylon tip 5B or you like the thicker version, you have options.

Hope that's not too confusing.

And to address the "in trouble" status of the company, well I don't have any first hand knowledge from the last 4 years or so, but I can tell you that at the 2011 NAMM show they had TWO booths set up for the first time... one for Regal Tip and one in another location for Direct Music Supply (the distribution company Calato owns). Plus in the last few years they have expanded Direct Music Supply in large ways. In addition that company is one of only two distribution centers for all Remo Products in the USA, and and exclusive dealer with Canada.

If Calato was in any kind of trouble then why would business expanded in such ways?

Thanks masonni,

Yeah, I usually throw those questions out there for feedback just in case - regarding Regal Tip's business strength. I called them the other day and their 800 number is fine and working. Staff was cool and knowledgable as well.

I'll probably check out the Wide "E" Series. Thanks for the info...easy to understand.
However...I just started wrapping my sticks (with Tennis grip/wrap) and it works just grand.

So I could be looking for other quality 5B alternatives since the grip is what attracted me to Regal Tip. Plus they're hard to find in your local music shop.

Back