Custom Molded Ear Filters? Anyone use them?

petey

I'm sick of the muffled Hearos Ear Plugs. Anyone use these? Been using them for 20 years haha

I see the custom molded ones you can get that are "Filters" not "Plugs" for 185 bucks to
200 bucks But I wonder if they are worth the money.

I think I could benefit from these too because I'd be able to hear myself and not hit as hard as I usually do to be able to hear my fills, kick, etc etc

Yeah, I have a couple pairs - some Westone in-ears and another pair done by whoever does Ultimate Ears. (Can't remember what they're called). They're 100% my go-to. They're unbeaten in comfort and clarity... though when I saw AC/DC I still went with Hearos, because sometimes you want a really aggressive roll-off of the highs. :)

You can play harder; if you get them made without being fully sunk, you can replace the filters on the Westones - so I have a pair of solid blanks (~-29db non-flat), -9, -15 and -25db flat filters. -9 and -15 are good for practice and most gigs; -25 usually when I'm seeing a concert or someone else. I definitely find I can lay back and things sound more natural.

Careful, though, it's a gateway drug: I got custom-molded IEMs not long after it.

Just make sure to go to an audiologist who knows they're for musician's plugs. The whole process doesn't take more than 15 minutes - they check you out, squirt some goop in your ears, let it cure and then you're done!

http://www.sensaphonics.com/er-series-musician-earplugs-custom

Got them in the last year. Love them. Should have gotten them years ago....

+1 I had Westones and they didn't sound right. Weren't all the comfortable either. I was taking them out every break. When I got the Sensaphonics it was like a revaluation. The sound is still not perfectly accurate, it sounds harsher with them out. Or maybe that's just the overloading of my ears. For the most part my hearing isn't that bad, but I do have tinnitus so I have to protect my ears. But unlike the Westones, the Sensaphonics don't take the body out of the snare of throw off the sound of the kit in a way that would make you play differently.

I've tried various things like Hearoos and such. The only thing that comes close is the Earasers. They don't cut the bottom as much so if you're around stuff with a lot of low end there's not as much protection. For that matter, any plug won't keep the really low stuff at bay. I've played in some clubs were the subs for the DJ (kind of place where it goes back and forth between a live band and a DJ) are so loud my PA was nearly pegging if I left it on. For some strange reason, the managers of such places don't restrict the DJ volume but will jump all over a band that's within 12 dB of their house music. Different rant.

By all means, find a Sensaphonics audiologist and get fitted. You will thank us in your later years. You only get one pair of ears.

Yep, got mine about 6 months ago and will never, ever play without them again. Mine are called ReSound and I have the 15 and 25 db cut. Like was previously stated I usually only use the 15's for my shows.

What amazed me was playing with them in and then taking them out and playing. It's amazing what you can get used to, but man, it is painful to play without plugs. Like some woman screaming at the top of her lungs a foot away from your ear.

These things are the best thing I have ever purchased in my 26 year drumming career.

I've got custom moulded IEMs now but before that I used to use the ubiquitous ER-20s for hearing protection, and they've always been fine.

I use both custom molded IEMs and musicians plugs. Well worth the money just for the comfort alone.

F

I've been thinking of saving up for some custom plugs.

I've been using plugs with filters for a few years now (playing and going to gigs) and they have been great, they definitely make me more aware of how painfully loud things are when I don't wear them.

I don't know if it's the shape or the material but they have always felt a bit temporary so I like the idea of a snug custom fit plug.

Like Chonson I have the custom plugs from Ultimate Ears, actually made by MicroSonics. I think they're great.

I use Ultimate Ears custom in-ear monitors.
They are like magic, as if a unicorn crapped glitter into my ears! LOL.

I'll never go back to floor monitors again.

However, if your not looking for monitors and you just want molded plugs then check out these: http://www.bigbangdist.com/ahead_custom_molded_earplugs.htm

You mold them yourself and they work great, plus I think they sell at music stores for like $20-$25 tops.

If you play in medium to loud situations you should buy some. I have been using custom moulded Elacin with the db15 filter since 2005, saved my hearing. Best drumming purchase ever, don't buy that cymbal get your hearing protected. Initially things will sound a little less exciting but just bear with it, you will find you don't get what I call ear fatigue after playing long sets.

In high volume situations your playing will actually improve because you can hear what is going on.

I'm sick of the muffled Hearos Ear Plugs. Anyone use these? Been using them for 20 years haha

I see the custom molded ones you can get that are "Filters" not "Plugs" for 185 bucks to
200 bucks But I wonder if they are worth the money.

I think I could benefit from these too because I'd be able to hear myself and not hit as hard as I usually do to be able to hear my fills, kick, etc etc

They are absolutely worth the money. Foam plugs stop a lot more high end than low and the sound you hear is a muffled mess.

The filters from the audiologist reduce all frequencies by a much more even amount so the you can still hear highs in balance with the rest. Having the volume dropped 25-30 db means you actually hear better than with nothing because your years aren't being bombarded causing the ringing and other issues

Back