Cars/trucks for gigging. Which ones do you use?

I went through buying a car a year ago..I Wound up with a Toyota Matrix.
I can fit a 5 piece kit, 2 subs, a monitor, mixer, All with having the front seat free. It's up almost all the way though.

If I didn't need the subs I probably would have gotten a Honda fit or Nissan Versa as they are better on gas.. Even a Yaris or Ford Fiesta would probably fit a kit if it was just a kit.

It depends on if you would need the extra room or not..For me the Matrix wound up being the est size vs gas mileage I could find..

I've heard the Chevy HHR is great, I've heard it has a chip mod that gets you 50 miles to the gallon.. I don't know if that's real or not though, but if it is and you are buying used.. that could be a good way to go..

Chevy Avalanche. The reason I bought it was because you can turn it from an suv to a full-size truck in a couple of minutes. It has tonneau covers so you don't have to worry about people looking inside, making it stealthy.

I was able to fit my kit into my dad's Honda Fit. I have one of those SKB rolling trap cases for my hardware which is bulky as it is. I'd say any 5-door hatch would be enough.

I look now and kinda wish I had a Honda Fit cuz gas prices are just terrible.

I can actually get my "regular" kit -- snare, rack tom, floor tom, kick -- into my Mini Cooper. Stands, too, and my Target bin full of pedals, sticks, etc. No room for anyone else though! :) And I can relate to the Rubik's Cube thing, but now that I've figured out a way to pack my kit into the Cooper, I can do so more or less unconsciously (like at 2 am in the rain :)

I use a Mini Van, but when needed, I was able to get my kit into our Focus wagon
(16x26, one up, 2 down, snare case, hardware not in the case). I didn't use the hardcases, but bags would fine for this vehicle.

I have a Kia Soul now, and it's seats fold all the way down totally flat which is really nice.
It gets pretty nice mileage (30+ city), and would have enough room for a (normal) kit and hardware. A hardware bag could fit under the folded down back seats.
I haven't tried, but I could probably get at least what I got in the Focus in the Kia.

Good luck!

Back