can you identify this slingerland snare

Manningluck

more snare questions.....yeah they'll stop eventually.....

3M73J13l35Ee5Kb5U5ccc46aaf348ac77143c.jpg

It's advertised as a 14x6 but I think they meant 6.5 (looks like a 5 in that pic though)
They're not sure the model but the age is 1950s

Curious if this is a radio king? Any of you vintage cats know?

We would have to see more than just this pic to determine what model it is. It's obviously a 3-ply drum, because it has a mahogany veneer on it, so it's not a Radio King or an Artist. Given the lug casing spacing, it appears to be an 8-lug drum. It's probably a Hollywood Ace model, but I'd have to see the strainer to confirm. The badge dates it from 1959 to 1962. Also, to verify original hoops, see if a magnet sticks to them or not. If not, the hoops are COB and probably original. If a magnet sticks, somebody probably bought it and swapped out the hoops (I've seen it happen plenty of times...)

We would have to see more than just this pic to determine what model it is. It's obviously a 3-ply drum, because it has a mahogany veneer on it, so it's not a Radio King or an Artist. Given the lug casing spacing, it appears to be an 8-lug drum. It's probably a Hollywood Ace model, but I'd have to see the strainer to confirm. The badge dates it from 1959 to 1962. Also, to verify original hoops, see if a magnet sticks to them or not. If not, the hoops are COB and probably original. If a magnet sticks, somebody probably bought it and swapped out the hoops (I've seen it happen plenty of times...)

Good info, thanks Hopefully I will find out more.

With a replaced throw off, it's lost its collector's value. I just noticed that first pic you showed was "fisheyed". I can't really tell if it's 6 or 8 lug. I don't see the holes around the new throw off for the 3-point strainer. I don't quite know what to make of it. The second pic makes it look like it might be a student model, with 6 lugs, but I can't be sure...

I believe it's a 5" drum. Slingerland had some of the best plating in their hardware, so pittinng like that shows me the drum has probabaly had the wrap pulled off and refinished. The badge is from the late 60's or early 70's.

This drum is probabaly worth very little as a collector's item. I bet the badge shows signs of being replaced. It pesn't even have the original strainer. I wouldn't trust anything about this drum.

If you can actually play it and it soumds good, then it would be worth a small offer.

I'm thinking a student model.Slingerland only made 5.5" deep drums with wood shells,and not 5".No such thing as a 6" drum either,so the seller is measuring the height of the hoops also,and not the true bearing edge to bearing edge measurement.The rims are also non original,and should be stick savers..It should have the rapid strainer(not a clutch) which was Slingerlands version of the Ludwig P-83,so the the hole spacing should be the same,and the drum could be restored to original.

Count the lugs.

Steve B

This is a student model, 6 lug, 3 ply mahogany. The hoops are not original. Slinglerland flanged hoops bent in at the top, not out. These look like Luddies. The Ludwig strainer is actually a better piece than the original was. No collector value for this drum, but if the shell is reasonably round it probably plays and sounds pretty good. Slings back then always sounded good in my opinion. Guys like Krupa and Rich thought so too.

Back