Bands you're embarrased to say you like...

Another Linkin Park fan here. Huge into them when they first came on the scene; they put on a great live show. Wasn't embarrassed to like them until their Minutes to Midnight album. I have all their albums, but I've stopped going to concerts and at this point I don't think I'll buy another album until I've listened to it all the way through first. Still listen to their older stuff.

I liked Avenged Sevenfold for a while (I have three of their albums) but not so much anymore. Didn't pick up this last one. A lot of their stuff is metal music written like a song in a musical, which is fun for a while. I'll defend them when people bash them, but I'll also take 'em down a peg when people praise them. A lot of people seem to like their A7X.

The Used is another one I don't listen to a lot anymore, but I do own three of their albums.

I'm far more embarrassed of some CDs in my collection than bands I like. Blink 182, Marilyn Manson, Sum 41, Cypress Hill, Five Finger Death Punch, Hoobastank, Skillet, Evanescence... the list goes on. Of course there are a few of those where I knew they were bad purchases immediately, others took a few years.

I like the Monkees and I don't care who knows it. Early Jackson 5 too. Sugar sweet pop songs grabbed me as a kid and...I'm gonna shut up now.

HAHA. I'm in your same boat.. Although, I do NOT have the entire discography of those artists, I definitely like them. I do feel alittle embarrested when I catch myself singing Katey Perry's Firework drunk at a party....

Haha, well, it's even worse if you aren't drunk.

And "whole discographies" sounds like a lot, but in fact it's 3 albums each. (I still don't have Ms. Lavigne's last album, haha). :p

Well, I did once have a drum teacher tell me it's a good idea to listen to popular modern pop music so when you get hired for a session, you can reference the music that is selling. So you'll be familiar the drum beats, sounds and be able to keep up if the producer says "I want to make this sound like...."

Although I have to say, I've never been able to follow that advise very well. heh.

Well, unfortunately some of those mainstream pop songs' drumtracks are clearly made by computer and that sucks. Some others have real drummers in them, and let me tell you, to gig and record with multi-million selling artists like these... well, you bet you've gotta be REALLY good. ;)

Man, imagine the money those guys are making... while playing drums... and watching Katy Perry jump around them all night long on those tiny skirts... Oh boy... *(drools over keyboard)*

Cheers

In the circles that I run with, I guess it's not such a hip thing to listen to:

Bread

Ahhh.. IF..one of the most beautiful songs ever :) And I have to say I've always loved Guitar Man...wait, have I admitted too much?

Neil Diamond is probably my most embarassing guilty pleasure.

I'm leaving now...

Crunchy Granola Suite is a great track ... that riff! :)

Mary O said:
Ahhh.. IF..one of the most beautiful songs ever :)

I like that one too. I can admit this one easily with my girlfriends, though. One of the most beautiful songs I've heard is Jimmy Seals's Kissed by a Rose. Love it love it love it!! Such a sexy voice :)

I also like various songs by Madonna, Cindi Lauper, Supertramp, Anastacia, 10CC, The B52s, Carly Simon, Meat Loaf (yes, even old Meat), Nellie Furtado, Sade, Simply Red, Seals and Crofts etc etc.

Okay *sigh* it's been nice knowing y'all ...

A few more have come to mind after reading all the replies.

Nickelback. People are hard on them a lot, but I think some of their stuff is really good.

Carole King and James Taylor. Generally not a popular band among teenagers my age :p

AFI and Three Days Grace. For the goth in me :p. Although neither of these are really that embarrassing, both of their most recent albums are great.

Lamb of God. Once again not a metal-head, but I think Chris Adler is a beast, and the guitars riffs are awesome too. Listen to the intro for redneck, and you'll know what I mean. Not a fan of the screaming vocals though.

Billy Idol. Once again people are hard on him a lot. I think he's got outstanding talent though.

Fall Out Boy. Most people either like em or hate em. I think lots of their stuff is really good.

The last one is a song by another metal band, In Flames. I only have one song by them, called crawl through knives (not the most pleasant title, i know.). That intro riff, oh man. One of the sickest guitar riffs I've ever heard. Chorus is good too. If you're a fan of awesome guitar riffs, you won't be disappointed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhE_UUeDNLw

I've always had a few bands that I think are awesome, but seem a little bit embarassing to share.

Here are 4 that come to mind for me.

Avenged Sevenfold. Now I'm normally not a metal head, but I think A7X is just awesome (with the exception of their first 2 albums). Probably get made fun of by all you jazz-heads :p (although i love jazz just as much!)

?

wtf are you talking about .. a7xs's 1st 2 albums are the only ones worth listening to they turned to shit after that..

my guilty pleasure is the scorpions ... and queensryche ... it's totally uncool to have a singer in your band that doesn't sound like he shoved a pound of cotton up his nose and a broomstick up his ass (greenday, nfg, blink 182, nickleback, ... etc ... can your singer possibly sound any more like a person with a sinus infection???)

Okay, I'll just go ahead and say it, Adam Ant and Goody Two Shoes. One of my all time guilty pleasures. It just makes me get up and dance and sing along every time. What can I say, I'm a child of the 80's.

I'm going to hide in my room right now and listen to it...lol.

wtf are you talking about .. a7xs's 1st 2 albums are the only ones worth listening to they turned to shit

I have the complete opposite opinion lol. 99% of the time I hate screaming vocals, which is why i dont like the first two albums. I do like unholy confessions and chapter 4 though, those 2 are good.

I have the complete opposite opinion lol. 99% of the time I hate screaming vocals, which is why i dont like the first two albums. I do like unholy confessions and chapter 4 though, those 2 are good.

The only AX7 album I really like is "City of Evil." To me it was the perfect blend of traditional and modern metal.

The rest of their catalog seems like just very typical metal albums. There are really good songs here and there, but as whole albums, I have a hard time listening to them all the way through.

Not that it's really a "band", per se, but I dig on Enya. Yup, I know...

i not ashamed of any of the bands i listen to. i figure if i like the song it must speak to my soul in one way or another, so why be ashamed?

my guilty pleasure is the scorpions ... and queensryche ...
Two of the greatest rock bands that ever lived.

Hurricane, Big City Nights and Walk In The Shadows are superb songs.

greenday, nfg, blink 182, nickleback, ... etc ... can your singer possibly sound any more like a person with a sinus infection???)
Chad Croeger and Mark Hoppus don't sound like that.

In certain circles I hang with on occasion, Or what you wont hear playing on my motorcycle cd player : )

The Bee Gee's
Michael Jackson
Alanis Morrisette
Pink
The presidents of the united states of america
Susan Tedeschi
Elton John

The only AX7 album I really like is "City of Evil." To me it was the perfect blend of traditional and modern metal.

The rest of their catalog seems like just very typical metal albums. There are really good songs here and there, but as whole albums, I have a hard time listening to them all the way through.

My favorite is their self titled album, (the white one) with City of Evil in a close second.

There is not one track on their self titled album that I think is out of place, my favorites are critical acclaim (because of the lyrics, lol), Brompton Cocktail (another sick guitar riff), Lost, and Dear God.

Back