Bumble Bee Bop Sound File

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Finally got some new tom heads and thought I would post a sound file of my refurbed Bumble Bee Bop set. Lots of trouble getting use to the bass drum pedal on a small drum but it will come with time. Only a sound check and not a Paul McCartney audition. Drums are 18 x 16, 12 x 9, and 13 x 10 floor tom. Snare is 5.5 x 14

Attachments

• CIMG0852.JPG
    CIMG0852.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 490
  • CIMG0853.JPG
    CIMG0853.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 487
  • STE-000 2.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 310
It sounds great!
The bass drum has a real nice clean deep tone.
The toms also sound great. They have real nice separation.

What is happening with the bass pedal that you have to get used to?

First, I am use to burying the pedal. On this small drum it kills all of the sound if I bury it. Second, even with a riser the length of the beater arm is shorter and gets there quicker. I just need to play it more. As for the toms, 13 and 12 inch, I tuned one about as low as possible and one as high so there would be some separation. Thanks.

First, I am use to burying the pedal. On this small drum it kills all of the sound if I bury it. Second, even with a riser the length of the beater arm is shorter and gets there quicker.
Thats what I thought that you were going to say.
When I first started playing my 14 x18 bass drum I was a fish out of water for a few days.
I did get used to it but a non ported head just isn't for me.
I finally ported my reso. I only burry the beater for accents and I do let it bounce most of the time, but after playing a ported bass for so many years I just couldn't like a non ported
head.
I was fine with timing because I have also played a 20" bass for many years. With the 2" riser on the 18" bass, I didn't have to make any adjustments to the beater shaft.

I can't believe how low you were able to tune that 13" floor tom!
It is lower than my 12 x 14 floor.

the heads on the toms are Evans G2 clear batters and Evans G1 clear resos. The 13 floor is just above wrinkle.

That makes sense, I use single ply coated on my toms.

I find that my large, heavy, old fashioned felt beater works the best on my 18" bass.
That's the one that I always use with it.

Thats what I had on my pedal and took it off for a lighter weight 2 sided plastic/felt beater

Yeah the spring slowed with the smaller weight. I just need to play it more. I just have no room in the inn.

Sounds great, GD. good job. Can you do a close up of the riser and the foot- pedal attachment? I think the smaller drum will choke easier without a vent. Any vent in the Bass shell?

The pedal does have a small vent hole. It may be at the bottom of the drum but it's off of the ground by almost 4 inches.

Attachments

• CIMG0854.JPG
    CIMG0854.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 428
  • CIMG0855.JPG
    CIMG0855.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 426
  • CIMG0856.JPG
    CIMG0856.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 415
.. So, the beater hit is off -center on the BD head, right? It would be a little below center.

( In which case I think it might help to have a port hole in your reso. It will give you a more natural feel, more like what you are used to with your Gretsch, and might sound nicer too. I know its cooler to have that jazzier boing with unported heads, but some small bass drums just dont work that way. You could consider coated batter heads too )

I may port the reso and see what happens. The beater is about 1 inch below center. Thanks for looking.

You can raise the beater up a bit. I keep my beater about on inch above center on my 20" and 18" bass drums. Even on my 22" bass drum my beater is just slightly high of center.
Give it a try and see.

Oh no. I'm just a music room warrior.

I never quite understood how one can call themself a musician and not interact with other musicians. That's the whole point of playing music, to interact with others and to have people hear you play. My dad use to tell me when I was banging away in my bedroom. "what good is it if you play by yourself and no one hears you?" Although I do like practicing on my own, if I didn't play with other musicians and perform in public, I would feel very unfullfilled.

I never quite understood how one can call themself a musician and not interact with other musicians. That's the whole point of playing music, to interact with others and to have people hear you play. My dad use to tell me when I was banging away in my bedroom. "what good is it if you play by yourself and no one hears you?" Although I do like practicing on my own, if I didn't play with other musicians and perform in public, I would feel very unfullfilled.
I can relate to Grunt!
Different strokes for different folks.
I enjoy playing for myself just as much as I do with others.
I have recently been wondering why I do play with others at all! LOL!

I would love to play with others but after a 32 year break and the fact that I'm 62, a lot of people aren't knocking on my door. I never said I was a musician only that I love music and love playing the drums to music. I don't agree with your definition but it's all good.

mu·si·cian   [myoo-zish-uhn] Show IPA
–noun
a person who makes music a profession, esp. as a performer of music.
any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

Back