Ludwig drum heads

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Does anybody here go out of their way to use the Ludwig Weathermaster heads?
Their snare sides are always clear, I don't think they make hazy snare reso's. I'm not sure but I think they impart a slightly brighter sound than your ambassador snare reso.
Another thing I'd like to know from the Ludwig die hards..Do you think a BB snare drum still has the classic BB tone with other than Ludwig heads, or are the Ludwig heads a vital part of the tone?

I go out of my way to remove them as soon as possible and replace them with something that doesn't sound terrible.

I know that sounds harsh and it's all subjective...but IMO their heads are just terrible. The tom heads aren't *as* bad as the bass heads...but still don't stack up to your major manufacturers (Remo, Evans, Aquarian, etc.)

The bass drum heads are a complete waste of time, however. I just cannot get them to sound good at all.

I play a BB w/ a coated Ambassador over a hazy and it's absolutely beautiful. ;)

I tried a set of their coated medium single plys...I think they are thinner than ambassadors, and dented way too easily. Their snare reso's are OK, if you like a brighter sound than ambassadors.

I always like the Ludwig Rockers Clear with silver Dot. I don't think that they are made any more.

I like the Ludwig med coated on toms.
They are thinner than Ambassadors, but the coating is thicker, so it's probably "close" to 10mil.
They sound good to me. With the lower collar, you can't tune them like a Remo or Evans. They need less "turns of the key" to sound nice. Too tight, and they can sound thin and bad.
The Heavies are to plastic-y sounding to me.

The coated bass head is a nice one IMO, BUT, I haven't used it on anything other than a 26 or 28, so on a smaller drum they might be stinky.
My 16x26 has a Lud heavy coated and the 16x28 has the heavy Coated front and back, and both drums sound pretty dang cool.

I like the PLAIN smooth white Ludwig for the front. It has a little brighter tone than a Remo SWA. I do kinda lean toward the Remo, but the Lud sounds good too.

Not a fan of pre-muffled heads, so I don't know about Ludwigs "PS3 type" heads at all.

The Ludwig SS head is pretty bright and articulate.

Remo makes a no collar SS (like the Ludwig SS) that's clear film also, but it has a fatter tone than the Ludwig.
The model # of the Remo is SA-0314-TD. It's a great head and durable too.
It's really listed as a "marching" head, but it's for any snare.
I've used it for years.

On my BB's I've used a ton of different heads and they've always sounded great.
You can pretty much use any head you want on a BB, and if it's not tuned out of wack, it'll sound good (IMO).

I'm "currently" (*I reserve the right to change my mind anytime I want*) running Coated Emps on top, and 1 Brass BB has a Ludwig SS, and the other Brass BB has that Remo SS head (both have 42 strand wires, with the blue Puresound snare wire).
They both sound killer, but the one with the Ludwig SS has a brighter tone, so I can pick which one to use depending on the room.

the only change i've ever made to the black beauty is replacing the batter side head with a remo coated ambassador and tightening the snares just a tad. it's the best snare drum my ears have ever heard.

I used to like the silver dot heads, but I have not used any for many years (at least twenty). Peace and goodwill.

Back