Black Panther: Black Lacquered Maple or Walnut??

bradmapex

I like both snares, and i'm lookin at them in 14x6.5. I'm wondering which one would have a better crack, and could be used in bothe loud and quiet scenarios. They compare up pretty good, but the maple had a 5.1mm shell, while the Walnut has an 8.1mm, Both have diecast hoops, low contact lugs, and both look amazing, but the walnut has 42 strand wires, while the maple has 20. Does anyone have feedback on either, if so can you please help me and give me your oppinion. Thanks
b r a d .

The maples is pretty versatile, but walnut has this dark deep sound.

First thing that it popped into my head was go to the black panther snare site and give them a listen. The sound files r pretty accurate.

The maples is pretty versatile, but walnut has this dark deep sound.

First thing that it popped into my head was go to the black panther snare site and give them a listen. The sound files r pretty accurate.

Ya i've already been there, and that how i narrowed it down to those two, but thanks

Not sure if theres much difference but I have the Black Panther Birdseye Maple. I've got a Remo Emperor-X head cranked up on that and I was told by the sound tech of a gig I did a few weeks ago it was the most aggressive snare he'd ever heard. Properly cuts through the mix, that said...I put a bit of moongel on there and its perfectly usable for quieter stuff. Drum rolls like a dream. I had a play on about 6 different BP's when I bought my current one including the walnut and I honestly thought this was the best sounding one of the lot. And thats before I chucked a different head and tuning on it.

On the other hand I think that any Black Panther snares are lovely and I do love the look of the walnut. Also at the end of the day its still almost a £300 snare like my Maple one so its never going to sound rubbish. I think you have a sound bet with any of them to be honest mate!

Would anyone mind explaining to me why the sound samples on the Black Panther snare drums website sound pretty much the same for each drum (except of course for the reverb vs. dry samples), while the recordings of each snare with a complete drum kit sound much deeper and more powerful? I don't understand this. The same thing goes for the rest of the snares. Is it because of the different mic setups for complete kits versus those for just the snare?

Back