Help! Which head

LedFoot65

Head Questions with no end...
Hi gang I have a Tama Starclassic Performer all birch kit 10,12,13,14,16 and 22 kick.I have tried Remo and Evans and I love the sound of both. I've always played Remo for 30+ yrs. Should I stay with Remo or go with Evans? I'm not afraid of change can you guy's help me decide with your experience with these two companies pros and cons wich one I should go with.I'm not crazy just can't decide.I play classic/prog rock.Thanks for the help.

All of the big three make excellent heads.
Relax, chill out, and decide.
Heads aren't forever. You can change them again.
basically a two ply over a single ply is an all around fav for Rock.
I use single ply coated on top also.
I like mild ring control also.
I do sometimes go with no ring control.
You can remove, save, and reuse heads that are good.
I have all kinds of heads in my collection that I swap out sometimes for a change.

Just a few things to consider about the Evans side of things:
  • Higher quality/greater consistency
  • Less expensive
  • Great customer service (I'm always willing to help out as is our customer service team)
  • We have a wide variety of options unmatched by anyone else

Just a few things to consider about the Evans side of things:
  • Higher quality/greater consistency
  • Less expensive
  • Great customer service (I'm always willing to help out as is our customer service team)
  • We have a wide variety of options unmatched by anyone else

Hey ES, I had a question about evans tom heads.

I like a really deep tom sound. I'm currently using EC2 Clears, and I have to tune those pretty low to get the pitch I want. So my question is are there any tom heads even deeper than the EC2 Clears? I'm not interested in Hydraulic, so that's out. I've played Onyx's, didn't really like em too much, so that's out too I guess. That just leaves EC2's Coated and G2 Coated

My two questions about these...
Are G2 Coated as deep or deeper than EC2's?
Is the EC2 coated going to be that much different from the clear? It's got that translucent finish, and it almost looks like a clear. Just makes me wonder if there will be that big of a difference.

Thanks.

Hey ES, I had a question about evans tom heads.

I like a really deep tom sound. I'm currently using EC2 Clears, and I have to tune those pretty low to get the pitch I want. So my question is are there any tom heads even deeper than the EC2 Clears? I'm not interested in Hydraulic, so that's out. I've played Onyx's, didn't really like em too much, so that's out too I guess. That just leaves EC2's Coated and G2 Coated

My two questions about these...
Are G2 Coated as deep or deeper than EC2's?
Is the EC2 coated going to be that much different from the clear? It's got that translucent finish, and it almost looks like a clear. Just makes me wonder if there will be that big of a difference.

Thanks.
The EC2's or Power Centers are going to be the best heads for the lowest possible tuning. G2's can go pretty deep but not necessarily as far as EC2's.

As a side note, I should add that you can now preview a sound sample of each of our drum set heads through our Player Profile tool. Click on the profile and then compare heads.

Hi gang I have a Tama Starclassic Performer all birch kit 10,12,13,14,16 and 22 kick.I have tried Remo and Evans and I love the sound of both. I've always played Remo for 30+ yrs. Should I stay with Remo or go with Evans? I'm not afraid of change can you guy's help me decide with your experience with these two companies pros and cons wich one I should go with.I'm not crazy just can't decide.I play classic/prog rock.Thanks for the help.

Change is scary! Avoid it!

But seriously: Both Remo and Evans make quality products and I have happily and proudly played both for some years - first Remo, and now Evans. There's also no issue with mixing the two - I played Evans tom batter heads mixed with Remo resos and a coated Ambassador on the snare for most of last year, and nothing blew up. It basically comes down to which you like the sound and feel of better (there are slight differences that I can sense but couldn't possibly put into words for you).

My advice is to try a new snare batter or maybe try reheading your favorite/easiest-to-tune tom. Don't blow the whole $60-$120 all at once. If you like what you hear, maybe then it's time to change out the other drums.

I also like to check out what other drummers are playing and get their opinions. If you have a very good drum store in your area, you could also check out what the staff has to say. (I am blessed beyond words to live a couple of hours from Donn Bennett's, which is like living 50 feet down the mountain from the Dalai Lama.)

Guitarists try out new strings, new pickups, new pedals and amps all the time; it changes the tone, the sound, the feel, even the look, but it doesn't change the player. Neither will a head switch change what's you, and that should come through no matter what the ink on the head says! Good luck!

I quit playing Remo during the 90s due to defective Pinstripes. So I went to Evans: easier to install and stay in tune better. But two years ago, I went to Remo CS (black dot) batter heads. A couple of months ago, I decided to go all the way back to Evans. Some of my drums will have Remo heads for a while, but in twleve to fifteen months, all will have Evans, batter and resonant.

Evans heads are more consistant, install easier, and stay in tune better. The Evans website is way cool too: lots of great videos.

Peace and goodwill.

The EC2's or Power Centers are going to be the best heads for the lowest possible tuning. G2's can go pretty deep but not necessarily as far as EC2's.

As a side note, I should add that you can now preview a sound sample of each of our drum set heads through our Player Profile tool. Click on the profile and then compare heads.

Sweet that helps a lot. I assume these are all with the same drums and mics?

Back