Vocal Mic for drummer

jim_gregory

I use an SM58. It seems to act too much like an overhead and when I swing it left to get it out of my face when I dont need it, it picks up the hats too much. At least I think it does. I don't know much about this sort of thing but are there mic's that may be better suited to this sort of thing?
Low cost is good!

Maybe get one with a switch. Or alternatively if you have a sound guy he could pot your mic down when you are not using it.

I would try a Shure SM57. With its hypercardioid pattern, you shouldn't have much bleed from your drums. I know it has a reputation as an instrument mic but I've also seen it used for vocals. It's a great, inexpensive all around mic.

Last edited:
I would try a Shure SM57. With its hypercardioic pattern, you shouldn't have much bleed from your drums. I know it has a reputation as an instrument mic but I've also seen it used for vocals. It's a great, inexpensive all around mic.

Actually the Shure SM57 has a cardioid pattern not hypercardioid, just like it's brother the SM58. They use the same dynamic element. Just so nobody buys it because they believe it's hypercardioid. It is a great microphone for many different applications although for voice, the SM58 has a much better internal pop filter/wind screen. They're both about $90 USD.

Dennis

Actually the Shure SM57 has a cardioid pattern not hypercardioid, just like it's brother the SM58. They use the same dynamic element. Just so nobody buys it because they believe it's hypercardioid. It is a great microphone for many different applications although for voice, the SM58 has a much better internal pop filter/wind screen. They're both about $90 USD.

Dennis

I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

Whatever you do, don't get a headset mic. Trust me on this one.

Well I use a Crown cm-311 and it works well. Soundmen seem to not have issues with it picking up hihats and cymbals and you can play much better not having to hold your head still. The only downside is if you smack your hand or something and use profanity into the mic! Fairly cheap at $250

Thanks for the "feedback". I had to say that. So after a bit of study it's between the Beta 58 and the OM5.
Both 159 bucks. The audix has some folks crying about reliability. Any other choices in that price range?
I can't wear a headset because I am always yelling at the bass player.

2nd on the SM58 with an on/off switch...been using one for years. Only caveat is to make sure you remember to turn it back on when you need it. Great mic, takes a beating (unintentional) and the switch can save some embarrassing moments for sure!

Thanks for the "feedback". I had to say that. So after a bit of study it's between the Beta 58 and the OM5.
Both 159 bucks. The audix has some folks crying about reliability. Any other choices in that price range?

Me too yelling at bass player! Let me guess "Slow down FFS!!" I bet we're not the only ones........lol!

I don't remember the model numbers, I can check at some point, but I strongly recommend Sennheisers. I use them, and in the last few years have noticed them popping up in a LOT of professional studios, on stage at a lot of concerts, and also as the mics used at events like the Grammy's, Emmy's, etc. I have had my Sennheisers for over a decade without a single problem with any of them. You can find models that are comparable to an SM-58 for a similar price, or slightly less.

I used too use a sm58 for years but now I use a Shure 87a it's a condenser mic if that's an issue.

I got this mic for the same reasons because my hi-hat,snare,etc. was bleeding through the pa.

check it out,
Bonzolead

I got a Beta 58A. Seems better but I will know tommorow night. Was going to get an OM5 but the guy at GC was such a jerk I had to go elsewhere and they didnt have the OM5. Definately more gain with less feedback then the SM though.

Back