Finding Certain Heads For A 16" Bass Drum

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I set out on the net last night to buy a PS3 Smooth White batter and a Fiberskin Diplomat reso head for the 16 inch bass drum on my Sonor Safari.
I found that they were out of stock on every site.
I finally found the heads on http://www.drumsonsale.com/
I guess that the 16 inch bass craze is really taking off.
I don't think that the head manufacturers were ready for this.
Evans and Aquarian still don't really make dedicated 16 inch bass drum heads.
Remo has the market cornered at present.
I wonder if the trend toward 16 inch bass drums will continue?
I love mine and I have no intention of giving it up anytime soon.

It was my first time on the "drumsonsale" site and I found it to be good.
I even made a mistake and I paid them twice for my order with Pay Pal.
I emailed them ant they fixed it quickly! Nice folks. Thanks Chris!

They even had memory locks for my Sonor bass drum spurs!

Last edited:
The Sonor bass never came with Memory locks.
I only got one lock for the tom mount with my kit.
Are they supposed to come with locks for the spurs?

If you're not kidding it looks like I have to send zZounds and Sonor an email or letter.

Last edited:
I received the Remo heads today.
I have officially turned the Safari into a full member jazz kit. I had already put new heads on the toms a while back.
The bass sounds better than great with the PS3 coated batter and the Fiberskin Diplomat reso.
I tuned both heads at about 1/2 turn from claw contact with the hoop.
Not to tight and not to loose. I didn't have to add any muffling. I have just the right amount of boom and sustain for Jazz.

All is right with my world!
I am using Aquarian on my snare, Evans on my toms, and Remo on the bass.

Hey Guys,

I know this is an old thread.... but I was hoping you could help with some advice. I just received my Sonor Safari kit today, and I was curious if you were able to order memory locks for the floor tom legs and bass drum spurs? My kit came with only one memory lock, for the tom.

I was also thinking of changing the bass drum head to a PS3 or PS4. I assume that it has to be an actual bass drum head, and not a tom head..... is that correct?

Thanks,
Charlie

Hey Guys,

I was also thinking of changing the bass drum head to a PS3 or PS4. I assume that it has to be an actual bass drum head, and not a tom head..... is that correct?

Thanks,
Charlie

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just got a Ludwig Breakbeats kit and I was considering what heads I could try on the bass drum (16").

Just for fun I tried a 16" tom head on the front and it seemed to fit OK. Maybe I'm missing something, but it tuned up just fine. So maybe there's a wider choice of heads than I initially thought...

Anyone else tried this? Did it work for you?

Back