Gibraltar Self Aligning Bass Drum Beater

newoldie

Silver Member
Has anyone tried/used this Gibraltar beater: SC-DSAB Dual Surface Self Aligning Beater? It's been around for a few years, but I can't find any reviews on it.

For my 16" Sonor Safari bass drum, the beater heads strike the batter head forward of 90 degrees (not flat) due to the riser placement that pushes back the pedal from the hoop, which yields a less than complete strike.

Gilbraltar's YouTube video says the beater head pivots up and down to self-align which allows it to hit flat no matter what angle the beater rod is at. http://youtu.be/RKQfW9Q-c8o?t=2m4s

If anyone can confirm this has worked for them, I would try it out right away.

Has anyone tried/used this Gibraltar beater: SC-DSAB Dual Surface Self Aligning Beater? It's been around for a few years, but I can't find any reviews on it.

For my 16" Sonor Safari bass drum, the beater heads strike the batter head forward of 90 degrees (not flat) due to the riser placement that pushes back the pedal from the hoop, which yields a less than complete strike.

Gilbraltar's YouTube video says the beater head pivots up and down to self-align which allows it to hit flat no matter what angle the beater rod is at. http://youtu.be/RKQfW9Q-c8o?t=2m4s

If anyone can confirm this has worked for them, I would try it out right away.

Get one, they work, but don't be too surprised if you happen to like the sound of your old beater (that doesn't strike flat) better.

thanks, Les.
It sounds like you're saying the larger weighted beater(s) I have might produce a fuller sound than the pivoting one. If the pivoting one can't be set but always moves, that could also produce a variable sound.

thanks, Les.
It sounds like you're saying the larger weighted beater(s) I have might produce a fuller sound than the pivoting one. If the pivoting one can't be set but always moves, that could also produce a variable sound.

Lots of variables. Just b/c a beater strikes flat-face, doesn't mean it'll produce the most pleasing sound.

Same as beater striking in the center, most don't. Maybe more positive on a 16" BD, on say a 20" BD the center may not be the best striking position for the most pleasing sound.

So BD lifts and self aligning beaters are great in theory/on paper, tho its not always the case when the pedal hits the plastic.

Lots of variables. Just b/c a beater strikes flat-face, doesn't mean it'll produce the most pleasing sound.

Same as beater striking in the center, most don't. Maybe more positive on a 16" BD, on say a 20" BD the center may not be the best striking position for the most pleasing sound.

So BD lifts and self aligning beaters are great in theory/on paper, tho its not always the case when the pedal hits the plastic.
Good point re the 16. Was your experience with a 20?

20's don't use lifts 99.999% of the time, unless someone's experimenting.

18" is the start of lift'dom, eighteen and below, most ppl use a lift, to get the bass drum beater to strike in thee center of the head.

20's usually have beaters hitting with the the most height over center. Figure 10 inches being center, and the bass pedals shaft is already at 7.5", no one has their beater up only 2.5"... so 20's have the most height over center.

Put a lift on a 20" and center doesn't sound that much diff from off center IMO. 18" sounds better in the center and of course 16 will too. The sweet spot shrinks as the drum gets smaller.

Sorry, I wasn't clearer.
I was asking you if your experience with the Gibraltar beater (not a riser) was with a 20" bass drum.
Which drums have you tried the Gibraltar on?

I have a 16 Safari and a 20 Club Date SE; contemplating whether to try the Gibraltar on my 16, but you've stated perhaps even on a 16 bass drum (such as my Safari), the feeling of this particular pivoting beater might not be as full as my regular DW5000 beater, correct?

Sorry, I wasn't clearer.
I was asking you if your experience with the Gibraltar beater (not a riser) was with a 20" bass drum.
Which drums have you tried the Gibraltar on?

I have a 16 Safari and a 20 Club Date SE; contemplating whether to try the Gibraltar on my 16, but you've stated perhaps even on a 16 bass drum (such as my Safari), the feeling of this particular pivoting beater might not be as full as my regular DW5000 beater, correct?

It won't be the same feel, no two beaters have the same feel, self aligning or not.

Some beaters sound better to me when just their edge digs into the BD head as opposed to when they hit flat face. I don't know the weight diff between the two, but honestly I would just stick with the DW beater, unless you're hunting for less volume.

I'm currently using a Sound Percussion "standard felt beater." It feels like this one is a bit heftier and has more thump (without being heavier) than my 5000 stock beater. I didn't use the plastic side of the stock for the 16 bass drum.
Your comment about the 'edge digging into the BD' seems particularly relevant now that I consider that perspective-- I'd say the SP beater does just that and generates a pretty good sound even if it's not flat. Perhaps I had more concern about how the beater hit angle wise, vs. how and what it generated on impact.
I think I'll save a few bucks for now and put the aligning beater on back burner...

Back