DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 04-16-2018, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

Default New Ride!

Well, this is drumming related because if I can't get anywhere, I'm certainly not out playing....

But it's dangerous for a guy like me to walk into a car dealership. I stopped in to a Dodge dealership near my house and two hours later drove home a new RAM 1500 truck! They said apparently my credit was so good and they gave me enough for my former car (a Ford Flex), that is was no problem agreeing to all my numbers that I just blurted out.

I still think they could make the buying process easier though - like going to McDonalds and ordering something, you know? But two hours wasn't bad. I bought other cars that took up to 8 hours to complete the deal.

New is nice - this is the first time I experienced bluetooth in a car. They no longer have stereos with CD players - it's all USB and bluetooth these days and Sirius XM radio. Even the gear shifter on the steering wheel column is gone. It's now been replaced by a little dial on the dashboard labeled "P R D N"

I do have to get used to filling a 26-gallon tank though, but I'm digging it and can go to my next gig with confidence! And my entire Super Classic kit fits in the backseat of the cab. So I'm not even using the bed. The bed gets the PA!

I am adding the tubular running boards next week. These new trucks seem about six inches taller than my old '03 truck, and being 5 feet tall I know it'll be a great help just to get in to the cab!
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2018, 06:28 AM

Excellent! I love my Silverado!

I thought this was gonna be about a cymbal...

My kit's an Epiphone!
Old 04-16-2018, 06:55 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: New Ride!

The typical American monster that we don't understand here ;-)
It's big, large and, I guess, very thirsty, but I sincerely don't get it, since you don't have anything to cover and lock the back storage space ? I may not have used the correct term sorry.

Just for the fun, 10 years ago, I did travel my seven piece and quite big Tama kit in a car that was literally the third of this one ! :-D
Old 04-16-2018, 07:01 AM

You said it...

You don't get it.

My kit's an Epiphone!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

But Bo, my intergoogling tells me that's a V6.

A V6? Isn't that just a starter motor.

Whatever happened to the V10 Ram?

You ain't got no ram, that ain't nothin' but a lamb!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:40 AM
Gold Member

For 14 years my 1957 Morris Minor was my gigging car. Engine just under 1 litre, approx. 30 horsepower. No Bluetooth of course. Or CD player, or aircon, etc... Did the job though.

I also don't 'get' these big trucks/pickups. But that's OK, I don't live in California. Looks like it will be great for you though. Handy that the drums fit inside - better for weather and for security.

Enjoy!
Old 04-16-2018, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisman View Post
For 14 years my 1957 Morris Minor was my gigging car. Engine just under 1 litre, approx. 30 horsepower. No Bluetooth of course. Or CD player, or aircon, etc... Did the job though.

I also don't 'get' these big trucks/pickups. But that's OK, I don't live in California. Looks like it will be great for you though. Handy that the drums fit inside - better for weather and for security.

Enjoy!
It's a European thing I guess, to manage a drum kit in a car of less than 4 meters long :-D !
I did very well with the CitroŽn C3, but I'm amazed you managed the kit in a Minor, it's very very small and you forgot to mention in the "no" list the word suspension !
- I used to be an Austin Mini driver (we like brit stuffs in the family), but not for drums transportation though.

Still, Bo, I hope you'll explain us - small european car users - how you carry your stuff in a giant trunk without anything to protect it (from rain, sun or robbers !)

Last edited by Tamaefx; 04-16-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:58 PM

What's wrong with big trucks???
Attached Images

My kit's an Epiphone!
Old 04-16-2018, 03:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaefx View Post
It's a European thing I guess, to manage a drum kit in a car of less than 4 meters long :-D !
I did very well with the CitroŽn C3, but I'm amazed you managed the kit in a Minor, it's very very small and you forgot to mention in the "no" list the word suspension !
- I used to be an Austin Mini driver (we like brit stuffs in the family), but not for drums transportation though.
In the minor: The hardware and cymbals went in the tiny boot in soft cases, and all the drums went on the back seat, also in soft cases. Bass drum was 20". I managed to squeeze a 22" bass in the back door once, but I prefer 20's and 18's anyway.
Front seat was free for a passenger or a foldback speaker if needed.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:30 PM
Silver Member

For a second there, I thought you were using the "it's dangerous for me to walk into a car dealership" as an introduction to a story about how you walked into a drum shop and bought a new ride cymbal.

I can't imagine you playing anything other than your K Light Ride, so that was pretty shocking. Once I saw that this was about actually buying a truck I was relieved.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:31 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Don't get a new crash to go with that OK Bo?
Old 04-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Love your new truck Bo. Yes I loaded drums in a Honda Fit too (Jazz for Europeans) but why bother when you have a truck. I've always had a truck (even when I had a car) till the last 8 years (there is always a need and plenty of friends have borrowed mine too)-last year Volkswagon bought my diesel station wagon (because of their fraud) so I bought a used truck and couldn't be happier. It just doesn't pay to give me a nice vehicle cause I'm going to bang it up inside and out-I'm rough on everything-clothes, furniture, vehicles, etc. Not trying to be-just am. Put me in a new suit and in a sanitized white room I'll somehow walk out with grease spots, then outside I'll magically have burn holes (well not too magical LOL).
Old 04-16-2018, 05:31 PM
Silver Member

Your drums are gonna need a lid on that truck bed. =)
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2018, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

I get the European attitude that the car is just a tool to move from place-to-place. In fact, I was surprised to be in northern Italy, and seeing Ferrari and Maserati car dealerships, but not see any on the roads. They literally donít really fit in a lot of places. Florence and Rome were inundated with those tiny Smart Cars and Fiat 500s. The car I rented was a tiny Skoda!

But here in the States, since everything else is so big, itís safer with a bigger ride. We have so many large cars, coupled with so many accidents in California, that little vehicles donít stand a chance if youíre struck by some kid texting on his phone while driving the family SUV.

Other than my last experiment with a regular car, Iíve always had a truck. Just as I get older, they get bigger. I like being able to just throw stuff in the bed without having to worry about the interior of a car.

Never went bigger than a V6 though - I like the 25 mpg as opposed to the 12 mpg my V8 friends have to deal with. I donít tow anything or use my personal truck for heavy construction (as these trucks are depicted in TV commercials) so a V8 is overkill (just like having the 4x4 version is, since nobody actually has time to go off-roading because youíre too busy working to pay for it).

But if I do load the drums in the back, Iíve owned hard cases for years and have worked like that for as long as I remember. Having the quad cab and the ability to get the whole kit in it is a new plus for me.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:26 PM
Administrator

4 doors, V6, plenty of room for drums without the bed, good idea. As for big, when getting hit big is a better match. I saw a crash test of a Smart car, at a 45 degree angle, at 40MPH and it was demolished. Might as well be on a bicycle. Congrats
Old 04-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
4 doors, V6, plenty of room for drums
Oh hail yea!!!

_____
Attached Images

My kit's an Epiphone!
Old 04-16-2018, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

I've always been in the minivan camp for musicians..... Perhaps it's cause I live in the northeast and it gets cold sleeping in the bed of a truck.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
I've always been in the minivan camp for musicians..... Perhaps it's cause I live in the northeast and it gets cold sleeping in the bed of a truck.
Lots of musicians do that out here too - I had considered like an Astro van or something similar back in the 80s - but dad got me a Toyota pick up when I was 20 and Iíve been hooked on trucks ever since. Another plus to having the big truck bed is that I donít have to break down the Rock n Roller R10 cart I use! That saves a good 10 minutes on the load-in and load-outs ;)
Old 04-16-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Don't get a new crash to go with that OK Bo?
Yea and to keep ur minimalist cymbal setup, avoid puddles...
Old 04-16-2018, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats on the new truck.

After driving sedans for the past 25+ years, I finally switched to a crossover this past December. The main factor in making the switch was hauling my drums around. I just got tired of lifting stuff in and out of a trunk and needing to load half my gear in the back seat, trudging dirt and snow in along the way.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Lots of musicians do that out here too - I had considered like an Astro van or something similar back in the 80s - but dad got me a Toyota pick up when I was 20 and Iíve been hooked on trucks ever since. Another plus to having the big truck bed is that I donít have to break down the Rock n Roller R10 cart I use! That saves a good 10 minutes on the load-in and load-outs ;)
We had an Astro back in the mid 90's. Ran well. Put >200k miles on it.

AWD was awesome in the snow but ate tyes at a ridiculous rate.
All of the door handles broke off repeatedly.
Slept 4 teenagers comfortably.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
We had an Astro back in the mid 90's. Ran well. Put >200k miles on it.

AWD was awesome in the snow but ate tyes at a ridiculous rate.
All of the door handles broke off repeatedly.
Slept 4 teenagers comfortably.
Wow. Door handles broke off? WTH? A musician friend of mine had the Safari from the late 80s, and he'd just leave his stuff in it and park in the garage. He never had anything break from normal wear and tear. I can't imagine that.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats.

Do yourself a favour and invest in a quality set of running bars. When I bought my 2015 Toyota Tundra Platinum, I invested in a set of Rolling Big Power Stainless Marine Grade Step Bars.

You pay through the nose for them but they don't rust, peel, or look cheap.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
Congrats.

Do yourself a favour and invest in a quality set of running bars. When I bought my 2015 Toyota Tundra Platinum, I invested in a set of Rolling Big Power Stainless Marine Grade Step Bars.

You pay through the nose for them but they don't rust, peel, or look cheap.

I do have a set on order. I should be getting them tomorrow via FedEx. They're not those, but they'll be a nice addition.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I do have a set on order. I should be getting them tomorrow via FedEx. They're not those, but they'll be a nice addition.
Great stuff. Nothing like the smell of a brand new ride.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow. Door handles broke off? WTH? A musician friend of mine had the Safari from the late 80s, and he'd just leave his stuff in it and park in the garage. He never had anything break from normal wear and tear. I can't imagine that.
Twas Vermont. 100 in the summer. -25 in the winter. Makes plastic do funny things.

Like most GM's I've owned, the engine and transmission last forever, but everything else begins to self destruct after the 5th year.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:45 AM
Pioneer Member

Very cool! You going to get a Rhio Liner or Linex spray in liner for the bed?
Old 04-17-2018, 04:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The typical American monster that we don't understand here ;-)
It's big, large and, I guess, very thirsty, but I sincerely don't get it, since you don't have anything to cover and lock the back storage space ? I may not have used the correct term sorry.

Just for the fun, 10 years ago, I did travel my seven piece and quite big Tama kit in a car that was literally the third of this one ! :-D

It's got a 26 gallon tank, so he should be able to go at least 26 miles on it.

LOL

I had trucks for a lot of years, but have an SUV now.
It's still got 4 wheel drive for the boat ramps and snow storms though.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Very cool! You going to get a Rhio Liner or Linex spray in liner for the bed?
It came with a normal plastic liner installed. Iím ok with that.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I get the European attitude that the car is just a tool to move from place-to-place. In fact, I was surprised to be in northern Italy, and seeing Ferrari and Maserati car dealerships, but not see any on the roads. They literally don’t really fit in a lot of places. Florence and Rome were inundated with those tiny Smart Cars and Fiat 500s. The car I rented was a tiny Skoda!

But if I do load the drums in the back, I’ve owned hard cases for years and have worked like that for as long as I remember. Having the quad cab and the ability to get the whole kit in it is a new plus for me.
Bo, My questioning was true about the fact that I didn't understand the pickup thing, shlepping drums in an uncovered bed unprotected from sun rain and robbers, there wasn't any kind of mockery ;-)

Still I can't let you say that for Europeans, car is just a tool ! We love beautiful cars !
Small car means also small price, small gasoline consumption; that's all. And for big city : easy parking. Parking is a hell.
I guess the Italians you came across would have prefered a Maserati to a bloody Smart - they just can't afford :-)

But, we do see in Paris many Porsche Cayenne or Lexus, Jeep Cherokee, Bmw, Mercedes and all. I used to drive a nice - small 5 doors - Alfa Romeo, my brother drives a 90's V8 Bentley. We love cars. I now drive a Peugeot Suv, not the nicest, but I couldn't handle a higher gas consumption. To convert, with a 15.8 tank I can go for a 560 miles drive. It's also a matter of government: taxes are high (I mean HIgh) on gas.

Last edited by Tamaefx; 04-17-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bo, My questioning was true about the fact that I didn't understand the pickup thing, shlepping drums in an uncovered bed unprotected from sun rain and robbers, there wasn't any kind of mockery ;-)

Still I can't let you say that for Europeans, car is just a tool ! We love beautiful cars !
Small car means also small price, small gasoline consumption; that's all. And for big city : easy parking. Parking is a hell.
I guess the Italians you came across would have prefered a Maserati to a bloody Smart - they just can't afford :-)

But, we do see in Paris many Porsche Cayenne or Lexus, Jeep Cherokee, Bmw, Mercedes and all. I used to drive a nice - small 5 doors - Alfa Romeo, my brother drives a 90's V8 Bentley. We love cars. I now drive a Peugeot Suv, not the nicest, but I couldn't handle a higher gas consumption. To convert, with a 15.8 tank I can go for a 560 miles drive. It's also a matter of government: taxes are high (I mean HIgh) on gas.
I hear you - owning and operating any kind of car, at least in Italy, must be super expensive! In the US we do spend a lot less on fuel (even here in California), so I understand you when you say how expensive it is. I was shocked at the prices for petrol by the liter in Rome. Imagine owning a huge truck with a gas guzzling V8 engine that only gets 12 miles per gallon? It was funny that we actually met up with fellow tourists from California while waiting for a tour of the Colliseum, and we were both talking about owning a big truck in Rome - that would be insane!
Old 04-17-2018, 08:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I hear you - owning and operating any kind of car, at least in Italy, must be super expensive! In the US we do spend a lot less on fuel (even here in California), so I understand you when you say how expensive it is. I was shocked at the prices for petrol by the liter in Rome. Imagine owning a huge truck with a gas guzzling V8 engine that only gets 12 miles per gallon? It was funny that we actually met up with fellow tourists from California while waiting for a tour of the Colliseum, and we were both talking about owning a big truck in Rome - that would be insane!
It's bloody expensive and every new governement increases taxes on petrol as it arrives. And to add to that tax on petrol, here in France we have a specific tax for cars, meaning a brand new V8 Mustang will get an additionnal Ecological tax of 10 000 euros. The same for a Range Rover or any powerful car. So to be sensible, you try to stay under 4,5 meters (14,75 foot) car, and under 130 horsepower... Certainly sad isn't it ?

PS : What is the price of a gallon in the US ?

Last edited by Tamaefx; 04-17-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:44 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Petrol is currently running about $2.50 - $2.75 a gallon here in the Philadelphia suburbs. In the more affluent communities, like the Main Line in Philadelphia, gas is up near 3.25 a gallon

What's that, about 60 cents (pennies) a liter. I remember gas being 29 cents a gallon in the 60's. What's that about 8 cents a liter?

There are so many technologies to run a personal vehicle these days, I hope oil gets replaced soon.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's bloody expensive and every new governement increases taxes on petrol as it arrives. And to add to that tax on petrol, here in France we have a specific tax for cars, meaning a brand new V8 Mustang will get an additionnal Ecological tax of 10 000 euros. The same for a Range Rover or any powerful car. So to be sensible, you try to stay under 4,5 meters (14,75 foot) car, and under 130 horsepower... Certainly sad isn't it ?

PS : What is the price of a gallon in the US ?
On average, California is probably the most expensive since the state adds a lot of its own taxes to fuel. I would say a gallon of unleaded averages around $3.49 - but you can find it as low as $3.31 depending on who you buy from (Arco seems to be the cheapest locally). Last year in Italy spending close to 6 Euros per LITER was crazy!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

$2.49 / gallon is the average here in the Duke City.

Just a month ago, it was around $2.15.

I really miss driving my truck (2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab), but my 18 year-old son stole it from me. I could easily fit all my gear in the back seat - my Snare drum got the front seat, though.

Now days, my Kia Soul does the drum hauling... which is no problem... plus better gas mileage. :-)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
$2.49 / gallon is the average here in the Duke City.

Just a month ago, it was around $2.15.

I really miss driving my truck (2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab), but my 18 year-old son stole it from me. I could easily fit all my gear in the back seat - my Snare drum got the front seat, though.

Now days, my Kia Soul does the drum hauling... which is no problem... plus better gas mileage. :-)
I liked the Kia Soul. We rented one to do the drive from Vegas to St. George, then down to Page, AZ, then back to Vegas. It was cool. But we definitely felt that little engine working really hard on all the open road out there.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

"There are so many technologies to run a personal vehicle these days, I hope oil gets replaced soon." I'm a big supporter of using different means to mitigate climate change-one way I find attractive, since we still are so dependent on fossil fuels/hydrocarbons is changing the source of the carbon-rather than fossil fuels which adds old non-cycling carbon from carbon sinks into the carbon cycle producing "forcing" use cycling carbon. Scientist have accidentally discovered a way of fixing atmospheric carbon dioxide (like a plant just even more efficient) with a solar powered catalytic converter that converts carbon dioxide to carbon monoxide which can then be used to produce hydrocarbon fuels-it could reduce the forcing because it isn't extra carbon but recycling atmospheric carbon. In theory you could fix more carbon that you use (make a carbon sink) but you have to store it in clathrate hydrates underground or something. A number of fuel cells emulate biological principals by using sugar as fuel, carbon or carbon compound to produce energy-so a link of industries could be possible too. Carbon has such a rich chemistry for life-and apparently death LOL.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
On average, California is probably the most expensive since the state adds a lot of its own taxes to fuel. I would say a gallon of unleaded averages around $3.49 - but you can find it as low as $3.31 depending on who you buy from (Arco seems to be the cheapest locally). Last year in Italy spending close to 6 Euros per LITER was crazy!
6Ä per litre?!!! I know fuel is expensive in Europe but surely you didn't pay that much? I have never seen that kind of price for any type of fuel, even the "premium" ones.

I currently pay about 1,35Ä per litre for regular diesel (63cents per gallon). Petrol is slightly more, probably 1,50Ä per litre.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
..Last year in Italy spending close to 6 Euros per LITER was crazy!..

Thats completely not possible..

The country where i live we pay at this moment about 1,70 euro/liter and the highest price ever has been around 1,90/liter..

Italy is always about 5-6% more cheap than that..
Old 04-18-2018, 06:59 AM
Silver Member

It couldnít be 6Ä/liter. It should be between 1,3 and 2Ä.
Itís actually around 1,6 for diesel in France. Which is high enough.
Our money has changed in between, but I remember in the 90ís, often filling the Austin mini with just the equivalent of 15Ä, and be ok. Wouldnít do that anymore ;-) !

Still Bo enjoy your new car ! Itís always a pleasure to ride a brand new vehicles! A pity for the loss of CD player though, they tend to disappear but itís in my my car that I use my CDs the most actually :-D.