DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-10-2016, 11:59 PM
bromasi bromasi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 233
Default inner drumming

As anyone been studying this method. Just bought the book and I'm going to give it a try.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-11-2016, 12:37 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,585
Default Re: inner drumming

Not sure which book you mean, but my first thought is that it sounds like visualization, where you mentally imagine the movements and sounds of playing. This can help you prepare to play a part, although it doesn't replace practicing in terms of the technique. I will often visualize a part when learning songs, and play it for the first time on a gig. I can tell you that most of the time, I would have been more comfortable and played better if I'd actually practiced.

If that's not what the book is about, sorry. :)

Bermuda
__________________
DrumDoug: "I've tried talking to the guys about our stage volume, but it just falls on deaf ears"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-11-2016, 12:57 AM
Alain Rieder's Avatar
Alain Rieder Alain Rieder is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Posts: 557
Default Re: inner drumming

I bought it out of curiosity, when I saw it by chance in a drum shop in San Fransico, 30 years ago.
I haven't spent much time with it, but I find the concept and the diagrams interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-11-2016, 01:22 AM
toddbishop toddbishop is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,956
Default Re: inner drumming

George Marsh's book Inner Drumming. It's almost an eastern-philosophical Dahlgren & Fine. When I was in school there was a copy kicking around the department, and I practiced out of it quite a bit-- I don't think I was ready for it.
__________________
Visit Cruise Ship Drummer! - a drumming blog | 2017 CSD! Book of the Blog now available
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-11-2016, 02:22 AM
cornelius cornelius is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 876
Default Re: inner drumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
George Marsh's book Inner Drumming. It's almost an eastern-philosophical Dahlgren & Fine.
Great description... Iíve scratched the surface of his book, but I immediately walked away with an awareness of any tension in my body - very helpful...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-11-2016, 03:46 AM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,388
Default Re: inner drumming

George is a pretty cosmic guy.
I've seen him play and checked out a clinic or two of his.
We're talking Birkenstock Santa Cruz mentality here.

First time I saw him play was with Mel Martins Listen along with Andy Narrell.
His playing reminds me of Tai Chi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISc5AUZ81IA

I studied with one of Georges pupils ,Kurt Wortman (Gary Peacock,Jean Luc Ponty) and Georges name came up.

George from what I recall was a student of Chuck Brown (taught Dave Garabaldi) at one point.

Interesting tree of drummers up here in NoCal.
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-11-2016, 03:53 AM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5,680
Default Re: inner drumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
George is a pretty cosmic guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7MAFEKDdRw

Whoa...

Mind Blown... By the guitarist, but still.

The practice looks interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-sF9TCsQJk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-11-2016, 04:08 AM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,388
Default Re: inner drumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7MAFEKDdRw

Whoa...

Mind Blown... By the guitarist, but still.

The practice looks interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-sF9TCsQJk
He's cleaned himself up a bit,it used to be a pony tail and tie dye wardrobe.
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-01-2017, 08:15 PM
marshdrum marshdrum is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Default Re: inner drumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
He's cleaned himself up a bit,it used to be a pony tail and tie dye wardrobe.
You must be thinking of someone else--never had a pony tail--ha--I have a bald head. Glad you are interested in the book! The fact that there is a discussion of Inner Drumming is very encouraging. Maybe this will help you understand what the book is about. Yes, it's about visualization, but also about playing the drums. So the practice includes BOTH visualization and using the body to play the instrument. The focus is on creating an enhanced awareness of the sound, the visualization, and the inner feeling of movement all in one. This is done by exploring various combinations of the limbs--but not in any particular style--that's left up to the drummer. I never did study with Chuck Brown, but David Garabaldi and I did trade lessons many years ago. The Birkenstock comment has only to do with the mode of dress from another era--it's 2017 now and those olds shoes are long gone. The link from Michael Vatcher shows the original version--the new book is very much fleshed out and includes a DVD that explains how to approach the book. Please get in touch if you have questions.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-01-2017, 09:03 PM
ottog1979 ottog1979 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 94
Default Re: inner drumming

Just bought the book, prompted by this tread. Thank you bromasi (and George Marsh).

I've been taking drum lessons for a year from a career professional drummer who totally espouses a relaxed, vulnerable, in-touch, letting go of any fear and connecting with those around you playing style. Focusing on this has really stepped-up my playing for the better. George's book/method seems right up that alley.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-02-2017, 03:29 PM
rain dog's Avatar
rain dog rain dog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 60
Default Re: inner drumming

inner drumming? does this have anything to do with ingesting illegal substances?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-02-2017, 04:26 PM
JohnW JohnW is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rockport, MA USA
Posts: 859
Default Re: inner drumming

I remember reading an article about this in Modern Drummer many years ago and I think it was by George Marsh himself; not a review. It really made an impression at the time, about visualizing paths going from one limb to another. Whatever stuck with me today is kind of crude but when I play exercises between my hands and feet, I see it in simple geometric patterns. I will get a copy now!
__________________
-John W

National Association of Rudimental Drummers
(N.A.R.D.) Member, No. 10078
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Richard.Awesome's Avatar
Richard.Awesome Richard.Awesome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
Posts: 244
Default Re: inner drumming

thanks for sharing, i'm really excited to check this out.
__________________
http://www.richardawesome.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-14-2017, 02:58 AM
Roostar Roostar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 49
Default Re: inner drumming

Does anyone know if this been is available in the uk?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-14-2017, 05:13 AM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,388
Default Re: inner drumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshdrum View Post
You must be thinking of someone else--never had a pony tail--ha--I have a bald head. Glad you are interested in the book! The fact that there is a discussion of Inner Drumming is very encouraging. Maybe this will help you understand what the book is about. Yes, it's about visualization, but also about playing the drums. So the practice includes BOTH visualization and using the body to play the instrument. The focus is on creating an enhanced awareness of the sound, the visualization, and the inner feeling of movement all in one. This is done by exploring various combinations of the limbs--but not in any particular style--that's left up to the drummer. I never did study with Chuck Brown, but David Garabaldi and I did trade lessons many years ago. The Birkenstock comment has only to do with the mode of dress from another era--it's 2017 now and those olds shoes are long gone. The link from Michael Vatcher shows the original version--the new book is very much fleshed out and includes a DVD that explains how to approach the book. Please get in touch if you have questions.
George,I know it's been about 35 or 40 years ,so the mind does tend to displace facts ,but I think I remember seeing you doing a clinic at the Keystone Berkeley with long hair that maybe I mistook for a ponytail.
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-17-2017, 12:09 AM
spleeeeen's Avatar
spleeeeen spleeeeen is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,550
Default Re: inner drumming

So, for those of you who started this, how's it going?
__________________
[14 Crew]
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-18-2017, 07:56 PM
spleeeeen's Avatar
spleeeeen spleeeeen is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,550
Default Re: inner drumming

Bueller?




Bueller?















Bueller?
__________________
[14 Crew]
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Richard.Awesome's Avatar
Richard.Awesome Richard.Awesome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
Posts: 244
Default Re: inner drumming

it's on my list but i haven't purchased it yet. =(
__________________
http://www.richardawesome.com
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-21-2017, 09:45 PM
spleeeeen's Avatar
spleeeeen spleeeeen is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,550
Default Re: inner drumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard.Awesome View Post
it's on my list but i haven't purchased it yet. =(
LOL...Thanks for not leaving me hanging, Mr. Awesome...:-)
__________________
[14 Crew]
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-22-2017, 03:52 AM
GetAgrippa's Avatar
GetAgrippa GetAgrippa is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: inner drumming

I guess it's related to my tinnitus but I have musical hallucinations and hear music at times-does that qualify as inner drumming?
__________________
"Only play the notes when required!"
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-02-2017, 10:53 PM
Gel-Sol's Avatar
Gel-Sol Gel-Sol is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 41
Default Re: inner drumming

I just bought the book and watched the video that came with it. As a pretty new drummer (2 years) with a focus on improvisation, I find this method very interesting and plan on implementing the exercises in my practice routine. I love the notation too, for some reason it reminds me of the Codex Seraphinianus, a really strange encyclopedia of a fictional universe:

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/c...k_in_the_world
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-13-2017, 12:25 AM
Richard.Awesome's Avatar
Richard.Awesome Richard.Awesome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
Posts: 244
Default Re: inner drumming

just ordered! will be here Friday
__________________
http://www.richardawesome.com
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-24-2017, 09:33 PM
Richard.Awesome's Avatar
Richard.Awesome Richard.Awesome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
Posts: 244
Default Re: inner drumming

started today with just the RF.
__________________
http://www.richardawesome.com
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Richard.Awesome's Avatar
Richard.Awesome Richard.Awesome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
Posts: 244
Default Re: inner drumming

update:

Been working out of the book a little over a week. Started on Monday last week, and had short set Friday so I got to a least test drive the "new me". I did feel more fluid, but 5 days of work wasn't nearly enough time. Next gig is May 17th, excited where a few weeks will get me.

Routine so far; 3 day cycle (no metronome) starting with RF > RH > LH (on now) > LF

22-minute sessions
Day 1) extremely slow, feel flow, let cymbals and drums ring out, etc., try to really feel the energy, explore different sounds
Day 2) add a little grooving speed, doubles, buzzes, etc., fav rhythms
Day 3) same as day 2 just increase speed and movement

When I complete that I'm going to go limb by limb on his 1-limb exercises. thinking 1) no metro 2) 30bpm 3) 60bpm and up --> 2, 3, 4 limbs

I'm open for suggestions and other ideas to interpret the book. I'm really trying to absorb this.

Thoughts: The ideas here remind me of "Effortless Mastery" by Kenny Werner, and specifically a private lesson I had with Bernard Purdie. We worked on my balance (which was bad), discussed playing with 1 limb only to learn control, etc. The beauty in "Inner Drumming" is the Tai Chi/Energy FLow exercises/ideas and internal AND external dialogue that I didn't grasp from Purdie at the time. I'm really digging thinking fluidly.
__________________
http://www.richardawesome.com
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-05-2017, 02:57 AM
John Lamb's Avatar
John Lamb John Lamb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 482
Default Re: inner drumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
I guess it's related to my tinnitus but I have musical hallucinations and hear music at times-does that qualify as inner drumming?
Earworms! Not related to tinnitus. Check out Dr. Oliver Sacks explain it :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Richard.Awesome's Avatar
Richard.Awesome Richard.Awesome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
Posts: 244
Default Re: inner drumming

Well looking back on that post about starting 4/24/17, it's pretty crazy to think - but I just started on the two-limb section yesterday. So I spent almost a year working on single limbs. I committed to myself to really work on it, so it makes me proud to see it.

In terms of the material/ideas, using two limbs really brings out the Tai Chi/energy aspects. I was already into drumming as a Zen art, and recently reread "Effortless Mastery" by K Werner. It refershed my memory and focus on "the space" which is a similar concept to George's (who says in the book he was influenced by tai chi), and it's great having a Drum-centric study guide to work out of.

I should probably email him, but I saw George has posted before. George - THANK YOU for the inspiration! Let's see where I am in another year?
__________________
http://www.richardawesome.com
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-12-2018, 07:53 PM
rebonn rebonn is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 99
Default Re: inner drumming

I think I do this all the time without a drumset. ie, listening to music and inventing different parts. Sorta like a motorcycle gang without motorcycles. Albeit, I'm interested.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-12-2018, 08:16 PM
Richard.Awesome's Avatar
Richard.Awesome Richard.Awesome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
Posts: 244
Default Re: inner drumming

Unlike what was assumed at the beginning of the thread, "Inner Drumming" the book isn't about drumming in your head, instead it's about building the awareness of the internal movement from limb to limb while playing, identifying tension/etc to create an inner flow.
__________________
http://www.richardawesome.com
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-12-2018, 08:17 PM
Richard.Awesome's Avatar
Richard.Awesome Richard.Awesome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
Posts: 244
Default Re: inner drumming

That being said thinking and "Playing" even when away from the drums can be very helpful I believe!
__________________
http://www.richardawesome.com
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-12-2018, 08:21 PM
MasterBlaster MasterBlaster is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bayou Counrty
Posts: 746
Default

I'm always playing the solo to In A Gadda Da Vida in my head.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-12-2018, 08:24 PM
spleeeeen's Avatar
spleeeeen spleeeeen is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,550
Default Re: inner drumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard.Awesome View Post
Well looking back on that post about starting 4/24/17, it's pretty crazy to think - but I just started on the two-limb section yesterday. So I spent almost a year working on single limbs. I committed to myself to really work on it, so it makes me proud to see it.

In terms of the material/ideas, using two limbs really brings out the Tai Chi/energy aspects. I was already into drumming as a Zen art, and recently reread "Effortless Mastery" by K Werner. It refershed my memory and focus on "the space" which is a similar concept to George's (who says in the book he was influenced by tai chi), and it's great having a Drum-centric study guide to work out of.

I should probably email him, but I saw George has posted before. George - THANK YOU for the inspiration! Let's see where I am in another year?
Thanks for the update R.A. This is really great to hear! If you don't mind, I'm curious about a couple of things you mentioned:

1. Could you say more about "drumming as a Zen art?"
2. When you refer to this as a "Drum-centric study guide," do you mean it's a way to study/practice Tai Chi and/or "the space" that includes the instrument? Or did you mean something else?

Thanks!

Jason
__________________
[14 Crew]
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-12-2018, 10:32 PM
rebonn rebonn is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 99
Default Re: inner drumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
I'm always playing the solo to In A Gadda Da Vida in my head.
Now you got me playing it. Oh wait, I just messed up. I don't think anyone noticed though.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-12-2018, 10:58 PM
GetAgrippa's Avatar
GetAgrippa GetAgrippa is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: inner drumming

"Earworms! Not related to tinnitus. Check out Dr. Oliver Sacks explain it :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=". OMG just saw this on thread. I've got earworms-the little maggots must be singing and playing musical instruments. The good news is they don't sound bad and keep great time. I was scared for a bit. I wonder how I can make requests? On a serious note I do go into a trance like state drumming-I jut my lower jaw and I am concentrating oblivious to everything but the music. It's my inner zone of music
__________________
"Only play the notes when required!"

Last edited by GetAgrippa; 04-12-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-16-2018, 08:32 PM
Richard.Awesome's Avatar
Richard.Awesome Richard.Awesome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
Posts: 244
Default Re: inner drumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleeeeen View Post
Thanks for the update R.A. This is really great to hear! If you don't mind, I'm curious about a couple of things you mentioned:

1. Could you say more about "drumming as a Zen art?"
2. When you refer to this as a "Drum-centric study guide," do you mean it's a way to study/practice Tai Chi and/or "the space" that includes the instrument? Or did you mean something else?

Thanks!

Jason
Jason -

I'll start with #2 - Are you familiar with "Effortless Mastery" by Kenny Werner? In it he talks about "The Space" which could be described many ways I'm sure, but it's basically a meditation. I don't know much about tai chi, but the "Inner Drumming" author George Marsh explains the principles come from that area of study, with the internal flow of energy being the focus. So long story short.... yes imo it's a way to approach these subjects within the context of playing the drums.

#1 - I've personally felt that playing the drum set is a modern Zen art, after studying with a specific teacher who described some of the elements to me. I'm by no means a Zen expert, so I don't mean to bastardize the term, but for me the playing of the instrument lends itself to being lost in meditative flow (at it's best!) that Zen masters seek in haiku, archery, swordsmanship, etc. The fact of it being acoustic so you control the dynamics with all four limbs, lends itself to the hyper-focus that I believe is at the core of Zen meditation. Time and space disappear. Most importantly the Ego disappears. Losing yourself to the One =)

"Zen and the Art Of Archery" is a good book for an introduction into the Eastern thought process and approach to life and art. Also DT Suzuki has an incredible amount of work out there about all aspects of Zen.
__________________
http://www.richardawesome.com
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-17-2018, 02:47 PM
spleeeeen's Avatar
spleeeeen spleeeeen is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,550
Default Re: inner drumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard.Awesome View Post
Jason -

I'll start with #2 - Are you familiar with "Effortless Mastery" by Kenny Werner? In it he talks about "The Space" which could be described many ways I'm sure, but it's basically a meditation. I don't know much about tai chi, but the "Inner Drumming" author George Marsh explains the principles come from that area of study, with the internal flow of energy being the focus. So long story short.... yes imo it's a way to approach these subjects within the context of playing the drums.

#1 - I've personally felt that playing the drum set is a modern Zen art, after studying with a specific teacher who described some of the elements to me. I'm by no means a Zen expert, so I don't mean to bastardize the term, but for me the playing of the instrument lends itself to being lost in meditative flow (at it's best!) that Zen masters seek in haiku, archery, swordsmanship, etc. The fact of it being acoustic so you control the dynamics with all four limbs, lends itself to the hyper-focus that I believe is at the core of Zen meditation. Time and space disappear. Most importantly the Ego disappears. Losing yourself to the One =)

"Zen and the Art Of Archery" is a good book for an introduction into the Eastern thought process and approach to life and art. Also DT Suzuki has an incredible amount of work out there about all aspects of Zen.
Hey, thanks for your reply! Yes, over the years I've read "Effortless Mastery" and several books about things like Eastern philosophy, Vipassana meditation, and what these days commonly gets called "mindfulness meditation." I've no expertise with any of it but find it all fascinating and really useful.

I like the way you you're thinking about these things in connection to drumming. Among other things, it reminds me how our experiences with the instrument can profoundly shape our lives, in general, for the better. And, I'm inspired to improve my relationship with patience and dive back into George's stuff. :-)
__________________
[14 Crew]
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com