Replaced heads today

Royston

Hi all,
Just thought I would throw this up here.
following advice and stuff I had picked up in here I replaced my heads today, all were Remo/Mapex branded, not particularly overused but the toms had some heavy stick indents and the snare just looked C@@p.

I went for a Remo coated ambassador for the snare, Remo Pinstripes for the 3 toms and a Remo powerstroke 3 for the kick. The Reso sides were all in good condition and as the were all Remo branded as new I left these on.

Thinking this is the first time I have done this my thoughts turned to tuning, (you might note my earlier post of a troublesome snare wire), and whilst it may not be for the purists I brought a tunebot. I have to say as a novice i learnt a lot from using this and think my "ear" for tuning is possibly better for the experience.

What was confusing was the "resonance" perspective and I opted for a medium scale thinking that was a good place to start as any, it surprised me that the heads did not seem to be tensioned as much as thought but I did notice as I went around the skins just how balanced every thing became.
For the record, (and if anyone is still awake reading this), I used the following frequencies;
All are batter / Res

Snare 252/378
12" tom 154/220
13"tom 122/175
16" tom 97/140
22" base 58/87
With the exception of the base all measured within a few points of the intended mark when mounted.
My only difficulty was using the unit on the base and my snare sounds very "tinny" which I may have to do something about.
Cheers
Roy

This is how old skool I am: What's a tunebot? And how does it help you?

If i have copied correctly the details are here.. www.tune-bot.com/
Its a drum tuning aid that I read about in here, there are a few but this seemed to do what I want......however having done it Im not sure if I would have needed it (if you know hat I mean), but the result was probably achieved much faster and for a novice like me probably more accurately.
Cheers
Roy

It's just an electrical device that can sample quick pulses using a very small built-in microphone. In a very loose way of putting it, a frequency counter. I had two of them experimenting with them some time ago and neither one matched the other in terms of accuracy.

DSC_0403.jpg

Dennis

Back