Hazy 300 vs Hazy 200...

Terrence R

Silver Member
I've been using the Evans Hazy 300 snare reso heads for a while now. I've had great results with them and I'm very impressed with the 300. IMO, Remo's Hazy series is no competition to the Evans Hazy 300. I've never tryed the hazy 200 and I'm curious if it would be worth the try. Is it designed for different applications compared to the 300?

I use the hazy 200 on my maple shell 5x14 snare. Being thinner, it is a bit more responsive to the snares at lower volume. I am not a set drummer, more of a snare solo/concert snare player, and this gives better snare response. I use the strata 1000 for a batter head. they work best at medium to fairly high tuning.

I never tried a 200 on the snare but on toms it shortens the note to about 2/3rds of it length. It changes the tone in a way that I didn't like, on toms. The thinner the head, the quicker it dies out. This could be a desirable for one person and not desirable for another, depends on preferences. I like my notes to ring out as long as they can. You might not. The 300 is plenty sensitive if you ask me, I mean it's less than1/3 the thickness of an Ambassador batter head. You could try the 200, or you could keep your existing head and try a 30 or 40 strand set of wires for a more snare-y sound without losing note length. With a 200 on there your note could be shorter, and you snares might be more pronounced. That's what I would be expecting to hear, but you never know until you try. For orchestral where sensitivity at low volumes is needed, this may be the ticket. For a bar band, it might take away some of the body of the drum.

Terrence I'll make you a deal. You buy the 200 and if you treat it like a baby, and don't like it I'll buy it from you. PM me if you wish. I'll put it on my Picollo

Great points! Thanx guys.

I never considered trying the snare reso on toms. If it shortens the sustain a bit, then it might be worth it for me to try it on my toms. I currently have a couple cotton balls in my larger toms to tame the sustain a bit. I'll try a snare reso on my 14" Tom to see how it reacts. And I'll stick with the 300 on my snares. Thanx for the info.

Terrence I'll make you a deal. You buy the 200 and if you treat it like a baby, and don't like it I'll buy it from you. PM me if you wish. I'll put it on my Picollo

Lol, well, I do live in Canada lol.

That would be some expensive postage eh? I bought a 500 to try it out and it was a mistake. Lasted on my drum about 10 minutes

LMAO, indeed................ Eh?

Yes, I bet the 500 or anything similar would be too thick. I'll prob stick with what's working, the 300. But I WILL be trying a similar snare reso on my 14" Tom to experiment. You never know, it may be the sound I've been looking for all my life.

I tried a remo snare side diplomat a while ago, esentially the same head as an Evans hazy 200. Didn't take long until I switched back to an ambassador snare side head again, the 2 mil head made the snare wires too sensitive, too crispy. Also, as one would expect, the drum sounded thinner.

So, I guess the diplomat head is staying on the shelf until I feel like I'll need it.

I intend to refit my deep-shell snares with Hazy 200s. One such drum (Sonor HiLite) had a Sonor Medium head on it and I read somewhere on here that they are thinner than an Ambassador & hence an Evans Hazy 300.

Anyone know anything about that?

I like using the Hazy 200 in small intimate venues where a good percentage of my playing is with brushes and overall quieter dynamics. Other than that, and as stated above, it makes the snares just too sensitive. It's sympathetic buzz out the kazoo being affected with just about any other drum on the kit. I keep a couple of the Hazy 200 heads around because of their thickness, they do tend to split under higher tuning faster than a heavier weight (300) head.

Dennis

I just bought a black beauty piccolo off eBay and it had what was probably its original heads on it. Sounded fantastic, but they were beat to crap and the snare was stretched out, so I put my standard Vintage A batter and Ambassador snare, but though it still sounded great, it had sounded better with the old heads on it.

Does anyone know: are the Ludwig X-Thin snare heads equivalent to Diplomat snare heads? I'm thinking of switching to the Ludwig snare heads (which I used to think were made by Remo).

Back