Standing up while playing

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

This is just one of those weird things that I've tried since I got on DW, and was amazed at how fun and successful this was.
I've seen a few drummers literally stand up off the throne and do a solo. Looked really difficult, but I tried it tonight. Whatta helluva rush-- it was a LOT easier than it looked! Obviously, I couldn't use both feet on the Bass and hi-hat, or on both bass drums/pedals, but WOW, it was kinda cool.
Drumming in a downward direction was actually pretty easy, and most of my cymbals were about hip-to-shoulder height for lots of crashes.

Anyone ever do this, and what are your thoughts? I think I'm going to incorporate this into one of my next gigs, just for shits and grins.

Cheers,
C. P.

It is fun! I stand up during Free's 'Alright Now' during the bass solo/pre guitar solo phase. I just stomp on the kick drum, stand up and clap trying to get the crowd going.

It's a little odd at first, and there's always additional hits on crashes or the snare as I struggle to stand up after being seated for an hour :)

At the end of a fun, energetic song, for the ending where the band hits the last note together, I may stand up (lean up and over) for the tom roll.

a old band I was in did a old stray-cats tune & I always stood up in respect to Slim Jim Phantom the drummer for the stray-cats.

Bonzolead

Slim Jim Phantom of the Stray Cats plays standing up. I looks kind of hard to me.

Attachments

• Slim Jim Phantom.jpg
    Slim Jim Phantom.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 5,998
Hey Crew,

Great response.
Hey Sabian92- That vid was way cool, I'm gonna check out more vids from that band.
WIMMERN, dieses Band trat wirklich Esel! Ich bin der 1/2 Deutsche, also waren die Lyriken ziemlich einfach, für mich zu verstehen. Daß gebildet mich an das Spielen einiger Liede pro den Satz denken sie, der oben, also steht, mich, können meine Beine ausdehnen und werden nicht warten müssen, daß der Bruch so tut!
(made me remember I'm 1/2 German!)

So now..... if anyone has any "standup" drumming techniques or tricks, PLEASE post them here- this is so damn cool.

Cheers, Crew,
C. P.

Meeza wanta one of thesea

Attachments

• Red Pearl Cocktail Kit 2.jpg
    Red Pearl Cocktail Kit 2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 6,463
i've seen clips of Lars Ulrich stand up and point over the crowd with his sticks, in the middle of playing. Doesn't do anything for me, it feels awkward and unnatural.

As mentioned, Mike Portnoy does it all the time.

I've tried. But I'm 6'2", and most of my height is all in my legs.

So when I stand, I can barely reach my snare drum!! LOL. So it doesn't work out so much for me.

Hey Crew,

Great response.
Hey Sabian92- That vid was way cool, I'm gonna check out more vids from that band.
WIMMERN, dieses Band trat wirklich Esel! Ich bin der 1/2 Deutsche, also waren die Lyriken ziemlich einfach, für mich zu verstehen. Daß gebildet mich an das Spielen einiger Liede pro den Satz denken sie, der oben, also steht, mich, können meine Beine ausdehnen und werden nicht warten müssen, daß der Bruch so tut!
(made me remember I'm 1/2 German!)

I'm 100% English, I don't speak much German (much less than when I learned it at school, I can read basic signs and order food but I can't say anything much past the basics) but I really like this band. Check out Die Toten Hosen as well. They've done an album in English but even their German stuff is great (and you have one up on me, I can't understand them!)

Hey Kev, I really enjoyed that Jellyfish clip. That Andy Strurmer is a talented guy!

His legs must get tired, though, especially the left leg that has to take most of his weight all show.

I have done this when I was caught up in the moment so to speak. It was fun and the people liked it.
I have been seriously considering getting a Cocktail Kit to use during a segment of my bands performance.
The Cocktail Kit will legitimize standing up and there wont be any awkwardness about the playing. I play with a conga player in the band and his presence will enhance the Cocktail Kit performance.

Back