New Gretsch Steve Ferrone Sig. Snare

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
I'm still chasing down the price but I want one. Just one.

SF-6514F-SF

Attachments

• GRE_FerroneSnare.jpg
    GRE_FerroneSnare.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,306
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,762
Last edited:
I'm still chasing down the price but I want one. Just one.

Sure you don't mean "One of each"?

SF-4514CG:
4-1/2 x 14
8 lugs
Retail: $1090

SF-0514CG:
5 x 14
8 lugs

SF-5514CG:
5-1/2 x 14
10 lugs
Retail: $1100

SF-6514CG:
6-1/2 x 14
20 lugs

SF-0814CG:
8-1/2 x 14
20 lugs
Retail: $1110

Because Steve uses different drum sizes according to what is most appropriate for each of his musical projects, his Signature drums are available as custom orders by component. Among the drums offered are several non-standard sizes that Steve finds to be inspirational: 14" depth bass drums in 22" and 24" diameters and 14" snares that range from 4" to 8-1/2" in depth.-H Central

Sure you don't mean "One of each"?

SF-4514CG:
4-1/2 x 14
8 lugs

SF-0514CG:
5 x 14
8 lugs

SF-5514CG:
5-1/2 x 14
10 lugs

SF-6514CG:
6-1/2 x 14
20 lugs

SF-0814CG:
8-1/2 x 14
20 lugs
Retail: $1110

Because Steve uses different drum sizes according to what is most appropriate for each of his musical projects, his Signature drums are available as custom orders by component. Among the drums offered are several non-standard sizes that Steve finds to be inspirational: 14" depth bass drums in 22" and 24" diameters and 14" snares that range from 4" to 8-1/2" in depth.-H Central

Not sure where all of that came from but those are old models. The new one is:

Gretsch’s new Stephen Ferrone Signature Snare (SF-6514F-SF) is a 6.5 x 14 workhorse. From the Gretsch Web Site News Page.

Do you know if that shell is seamless? Black Beauties are seamless and, as far as I know, the only non-cast brass shells that are. There are quite a few Black Beauty knock-offs out there - Pork Pie Big Black, Pearl SensiTone Elite Brass, even Ludwig's Black Magic, to name just a few. By looking at that picture, I can see that the snare throw is identical to the Pearl (which I own) and Pork Pie's, so I wouldn't assume that the Gretsch shell is seamless. I couldn't find it in their brochure, but it would be worth finding out about. Also, I noticed it has only 8 lugs instead of 10 - not necessarily a bad thing...

Anyway, that's a lot of money for some gold hardware and a SF signature badge. You could get a Black Beauty for less than that (the real McCoy), or one of the others I mentioned, which are likely equivalent (sans bling), for 1/3 of what Gretsch is asking. All I can think of is that must be real gold.

(sorry if I sound like a killjoy)

Here is the new drum info

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,704
This is mine´s. I guess it´s same shell but ten lugs and die cast hoops. Different throw-off as well. It cost me $349 (sale). Ü.

Attachments

• Gretsch 6,5"x14".jpg
    Gretsch 6,5"x14".jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 2,534
Wow that combination of black nickel and gold hardware looks amazing :O

That drum doesn't have the Steve Ferrone Signature badge or 8 lugs. Steve's drum is a Full Range signature model.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-08 at 9.08.48 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-08 at 9.08.48 AM.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,545
That drum doesn't have the Steve Ferrone Signature badge or 8 lugs. Steve's drum is a Full Range signature model.

Ok,Ok. No Ferrone badge but maybe same brass shell. Both snaredrums may sound pretty close (well, Steve´s is fitted with flanged hoops and 8 lugs). New Classic black brass is discontinued now. It was a limited edition in two sizes(5x14 and 6,5x14), but difference in price between this of mine and the Steve Ferrone is soooo big. Honestly I don´t think a badge is reason enough for increase final price this way. So I can´t stop imagining people from Gretsch with a large stock of those shells: " what we are going to do? Let´s put a signature badge on them and get a few more bucks"

Exactly right. That's marketing. Put a name on it and make more money. I would love to have your snare. It's a beauty and I'm sure it sounds great. I was only trying to avoid confusion since I started the thread about his new Signature snare and I am a big fan of both him and Gretsch.

I´m with you. I think Mr. Ferrone is unique. Great grooving with naturalness. "The Great Sound" should be pride of having such endorser. Cheers.

Hey!, That is a nice snare but I am still enjoying my, now out of production, Pearl Steve Ferrone Signature Snare drum. Very little beats that one in my snare arsenal and sounds just as good as my Ludwig Black Beauty.

Back