Putting myself out there ( uncle Larry, this ones for you)

I also have to give you credit Mary because you did say that you would do this sometime this year. Big props for not waiting until November to do it lol. Doing what you say you are going to do is an admirable trait. I'm really tickled over this, I just really hope you have a positive experience, everyone knows that CL is very unpredictable. I also like the fact that you mentioned the live in boyfriend in the ad, just so no one has any ulterior motives. Anyone responding should be sincere...one would hope. A girl can't be too careful in the big city lol.

You got me! That's exactly why I mentioned e "live in" boyfriend. He didnt like the wording at first but when I explained why I did it, he thought it was a good idea, too :). Gotta be careful in this big bad world of ours!

Good to see you putting yourself out there, Mary.

Good luck.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Good job on the Ad.Great way to learn and broaden your perspective.

A few years ago I hosted an open mic and a couple of ladies came in and watched,they were early 40's and one was taking guitar,one was taking drums at a music store,and they said there were quite a few 40 somethings taking lessons,I suggested they get a few people together and put together a few songs and perform at the open mic,which they did and they had a blast.It was fun also to see them perform and learn and improve.A couple took it further and started gigging,but they all had fun.Since you are located near a large there should be a few folks that are like minded and in the same situation you arebe patient and you will eventually find a good core group of folks to play with.

Just wanted to agree with everyone else. It's a really well worded ad. (I also like the bit about the "live in boyfriend").

I put out a similar ad some years ago. I actually only got one response - from a guitarist - but it turned out that was all I needed. We played together for a few months and I learned such a lot. It gave me the confidence to start auditioning for bands shortly after.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Great things are going to come your way, I just know it!

There is nothing like playing with live musicians.

That is a fantastic way to begin. As I have read your forum posts, the most important thing that I see is you're having fun. As you expand your horizons, you will appreciate this great instrument even more. Best of luck and break a leg!

Conversing now with a woman who answered my ad saying that she and another woman have a duo (guitar, keyboard, vocals) and they are looking for a female drummer. They seem open to my beginner level and while they want to do some gigging their goal is to only play out once a month. Sounds like a good arrangment to me :) I'm making plans to meet sometime over the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it goes! This is exciting and scary at the same time....lol.

That sounds fantastic Mary. Custom fit. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

I think your ad is brilliant, and it certainly makes me think that just perhaps, I might do something like that one day!

Conversing now with a woman who answered my ad saying that she and another woman have a duo (guitar, keyboard, vocals) and they are looking for a female drummer. They seem open to my beginner level and while they want to do some gigging their goal is to only play out once a month. Sounds like a good arrangment to me :) I'm making plans to meet sometime over the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it goes! This is exciting and scary at the same time....lol.

It was a great ad....

Nothing better than playing with other like minded people.

Mind you, if your better half is anything like me and most fellers, I imagine he's just about entering dreamworld at the idea of playing bass with a bunch of chicks :)

Great news... sounds like your ad (very well done, btw!) is working! Best of luck to you - you'll grow leaps and bounds once you start playing regularly with other folks -- you'll surprise yourself (and your 'bandmates') with how much you already know and also how much you progress!!

So excited for you - keep us posted!! That first 'gig' isn't far off - which starts a whole other level of learning and fun!!

Peace,
Mike

Congrats...............good luck Mary, great times are ahead!

Very exciting, and I'll back up what a lot of others have said...well worded ad!

In reading through some of the posts, I think that "Proud Mary" might make for a good first jam, lol. Not because I think you to be a prideful person (humble and honest are the two words that come to mind), but because this is a huge and fun step, and you should be proud of yourself for your dedication, patience, and bravery!

Rock n Roll!

Hello! I'm a longtime lurker (2 years) and have followed this saga with great enjoyment! Great Job! You are definitely going to have fun. Just trust in your abilities and don't be afraid to explore sounds.

What a great place to be at Mary!

Good Luck!!!

Hello! I'm a longtime lurker (2 years) and have followed this saga with great enjoyment! Great Job! You are definitely going to have fun. Just trust in your abilities and don't be afraid to explore sounds.

Wow...I'm a saga AND I've got the long-time lurker to post only his 3rd comment ever! I'm humbled...lol.

Seriously though, a big thanks to everyone for all of the encouragement. I may fall flat on my face but without the pushes and backing I get on this forum I would never even have had the guts to get this far. You guys and gals are the best! :)

Meeting with the two women that contacted me on Wednesday night for coffee to discuss musical tastes, expectations, etc. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

You are a saga. And a lot of other things too, mostly good lol. Hey Mary, don't underestimate the benefit of falling flat on your face. It's fear of avoiding falling flat on your face that's the real danger.

.....Hey Mary, don't underestimate the benefit of falling flat on your face. It's fear of avoiding falling flat on your face that's the real danger.

This statement is full with wisdom!

Back