Maple snare drums

2bsticks

Platinum Member
I am thinking of adding another snare to my collection. I don't have a maple one....yet. What do you suggest? All around drum. It will be used for indoor and outdoor gigs. Playing music from the 50's - 90's. Maybe 6.5x14? Thanks as always for your assistance.

14x6.5 is an excellent choice for a maple snare IMO. There's lots of options, like Black Panthers, Pearl free floaters, Sonor 3007/select force, etc. Really, I think it will come down to how much you're willing to spend.

Hi, thanks, I did check out the Pearl free floater. Looks nice, have not heard it yest but usuall I swap out the heads and snare wires with my new snare drums anyway.

Ludwig Classic Maple! If you have money that you don't know what to do with, a steam bent Noble and Cooley will do it too!

I just bought a mapex saturn pro
Specs for Saturn Pro:

Thin 5.1 mm 6 ply Maple / Walnut shells with lacquer finish

2.3mm chrome Powerhoops

so it's part maple - amazing sound tho

Hi, thanks, I did check out the Pearl free floater. Looks nice, have not heard it yest but usuall I swap out the heads and snare wires with my new snare drums anyway.

There's a couple really good samples on YouTube of that particular drum. Drum Centre has the best sample IMO. Just make sure you wear headphones or have decent computer speakers.

Drum Centre demonstrates low, medium, and high tuning ranges aswell. The 14 x 6.5 Pearl Free Floating maple sounds killer in medium - high IMO.

Can I throw a curved ball here, how about a 13" x 7"? My reason for suggesting this is simple, a 13" deeper snare just seems to pull the best out of maple. It operates right in maple's happy space (depending on construction). Also, if you're considering maple for it's distinctive voice, also take a look at purpleheart. Purpleheart is essentially maple on steroids! More maple than maple, if that makes sense :)

Here's a steam bent purpleheart just to wet your appetite ;)

Attachments

• purpleheart sb sale 1 jpg.jpg
    purpleheart sb sale 1 jpg.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 753
+1. Excellent suggestions here.

Yup.

I have a 14x5 Classic Maple snare. I absolutely love it. I've thought about getting a 6.5" as I'll admit they probably are more versatile than a 5". I just don't have an absolute need for one playing mostly jazz and some blues.

Can I throw a curved ball here, how about a 13" x 7"? My reason for suggesting this is simple, a 13" deeper snare just seems to pull the best out of maple. It operates right in maple's happy space (depending on construction). Also, if you're considering maple for it's distinctive voice, also take a look at purpleheart. Purpleheart is essentially maple on steroids! More maple than maple, if that makes sense :)

Yes if you can afford one of Andys beauties,then by all means do it.If not, Ludwig clasic or Legacy snares are pretty awesome sounding drums and don't overlook Tamas SLP and signature lines.Tama Like Ludwig makes some great snares.

Steve B

Last edited:
I own four maple snare drums and the best of the four are the Yamaha Maple Absolute 14" x 5 1/2" and my Ludwig Classic Maple 14" x 5". Both very nice sounding and affordable. Check them out at your dealers.

Dennis

That sure is a purdy drum you got there.... Can you demo it for us via toutube or somethin? ;)

Ludwig Classic Maple. Suprised no one has mentioned Craviotto yet. These would be my under $500 over $500(used) picks.

Beautiful drum, Do I need to sell my first born? lol

Any of you ever hear of Animal Drums out of Hollywood Ca. I saw a couple of maple drums on ebay that looked real nice and low cost.14" dia. snare drum. Super thick (1/2") 100% USA maple shell (6" depth) has very nice satin lacquer finish. Powerful sounding maple snare drum with 10 die-cast lugs for precise tuning and HD chrome hoops for great sounding rim shots. This is a made in USA high quality maple shell

Attachments

• snare.JPG
    snare.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 581
Any of you ever hear of Animal Drums out of Hollywood Ca. I saw a couple of maple drums on ebay that looked real nice and low cost.14" dia. snare drum. Super thick (1/2") 100% USA maple shell (6" depth) has very nice satin lacquer finish. Powerful sounding maple snare drum with 10 die-cast lugs for precise tuning and HD chrome hoops for great sounding rim shots. This is a made in USA high quality maple shell

Did you... copy that from an ebay listing?

Ludwig Classic Maple! If you have money that you don't know what to do with, a steam bent Noble and Cooley will do it too!

Ditto to the 10th power. I also recommend the Yamaha maple snares as well as a Craviotto if you have the budget. I'm looking hard at a new GMS maple snare with aluminum on the interior of the shell.

Back