Best kick for an outdoor show?

criz p. critter

Silver Member
Hi guys, quick question. Hoping to get some feedback in the next few hours.

I'm playing an outdoor gig later this afternoon. The stage is in an old horse corral! Drums will be unmic'ed. The last time I played this gig, the drum sound just vanished, sucked into all the open space. That was with a Pearl Forum house kit, but today I'm bringing my 3-ply Ludwigs. I have two different kicks I can choose from, a 22x14 and a 24x14.

My question is: Which is gonna be the better choice? The 24 sounds bigger all around, but I wonder if the 22 is the better choice because it will be punchier, more focussed? Does it matter at all, given the poor circumstances?

Opinions or experiences welcomed!

I just like larger bass drums,but a well tuned 20 or 22 is a bit punchier,and may work better in that situation..Just my 2 cents.Have fun.:)

Steve B

For that, try the 24", and tune it up a bit so there is some sustain. That deep slappy thud you hear on records won't carry without a PA. But a bit of sustain will sound like a note and be heard in the mix.

I normally wouldn't be interested in a 24" kick, or the sound of large kicks with un-ported reso heads. But that is exactly what the doctor ordered for an un mic'd outdoor patio gig.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've been tuning up the kit, trying both kicks, trying to imagine how they'll sound in the wide open. Very much leaning to the 22" at this point. Oh, did I mention the 22" has a KickPort? I think that'll help out, too.

I realise it's too late for advice, but
I played a very nice kick a couple of weeks ago outside, it was a 20x18 or 16 (not exactly sure) Birch shell, Pearl Vision kit. It had a really nice punch and carried just as well as the snare. I think birch shells are a bit better in outdoor unmic'd situations.

I know it's too late but if volume is needed without mics I would do like they did in the 70's and take off all the bottom heads, especially the bass drum or at the very least have a large hole in the Reso. I hope you had fun.

I didn't want to alter the tuning or setup too much for just a few hours long gig. I used my 22" kick and kept everything else the same as usual. Everything sounded as good as it could. People said they could hear all the drums ok, and that they sounded good out front. Guess that's good enuf for me.

This makes the third unmic'ed outdoor gig we've done in the last couple of months. I tune them to perfection at home, but then it's always a drag to have them sound so flat and dead outdoors. I'm never gonna get used to how my drums sound in these less-than-ideal circumstances. At least this time I was psychologically prepared. It didn't bother me as much, and I didn't let it affect my performance, like I did at the last outdoor show we did.

Back