...for the jazz cats ...

90% of my gigs are quiet and small group so I use VF AJ6 all the time for them...love that
stick! I've tried a lot of brushes but ended up using the Ed Thigpen model and added a rubber
ball to the end of the stick (like some old Ludwigs had). These brushes are so versatile I can't imagine changing. I also use a nylon brush occasionally but usually only in the right
hand with a Thigpen brush in the left.

VF SD10. They are amazing. Switched to those after using Dejohnettes for a while and I am really happy w/ them.

Thanks for the rec. guys, I've heard great things about the Erskine sticks, I think I'll check them out.

If you can find them, pick up a piar of the Erskine Big Band stick. Dang!! Amazing feel.

I picked up a couple Ride Sticks the other day (thanks a lot, Anthony... :) ...) and thought I would try the newer Big Band stick to see how it felt. For my hands, SO much better than the Ride Stick. The rebound feels so effortless and I feel like I don't have to work quite as hard as I do with the Ride Stick, or any of my other sticks for that matter.

If you can find them, pick up a piar of the Erskine Big Band stick. Dang!! Amazing feel.

I picked up a couple Ride Sticks the other day (thanks a lot, Anthony... :) ...) and thought I would try the newer Big Band stick to see how it felt. For my hands, SO much better than the Ride Stick. The rebound feels so effortless and I feel like I don't have to work quite as hard as I do with the Ride Stick, or any of my other sticks for that matter.

Glad someone else said it. I spent all night last night with the ride stick, and I came away with the same feeling that I was somehow doing more work than usual, even though it sounded way better than my usual standard promark.

Never heard of the "big band" stick. I'll look it up, see what it's about.

Glad someone else said it. I spent all night last night with the ride stick, and I came away with the same feeling that I was somehow doing more work than usual, even though it sounded way better than my usual standard promark.

Never heard of the "big band" stick. I'll look it up, see what it's about.

Yeah, please do. I'm curious to see if others come to the same conclusion that I did.

One thing I don't understand is that even though the Big Band stick is slightly larger than the Ride Stick, it feels so much lighter. I think that goes a long way towards making it easier to play with.

Yeah, please do. I'm curious to see if others come to the same conclusion that I did.

One thing I don't understand is that even though the Big Band stick is slightly larger than the Ride Stick, it feels so much lighter. I think that goes a long way towards making it easier to play with.

just ordered 5 pair of Big Bands.....can't wait to check them out

.....been spinning this record lately ....one of the best jazz records of the 2000s in my opinion .

I love me some Karriem Riggins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dRV96f6aK8

used the Big Band sticks for the first time at a rehearsal on friday and first gig last night.....and I have to say ....I love them !!!!

it wasn't love at first sight

they were on my doorstep when I got home late from lessons on thurs. night and my first impressions were....the bead is too big.... they were a bit on the light side and didn't give me quite the action that the little extra weight of the Ride stick gave me

after using them on the kit at a rehearsal then at a jazz gig that consisted of mostly up tunes I fell in love .

they really really stay on top and seem to respond really well to my slightest most delicate finger moves ...which surprised me because I didn't expect that bead to respond so delicately

thank you for the recommendation

used the Big Band sticks for the first time at a rehearsal on friday and first gig last night.....and I have to say ....I love them !!!!

it wasn't love at first sight

they were on my doorstep when I got home late from lessons on thurs. night and my first impressions were....the bead is too big.... they were a bit on the light side and didn't give me quite the action that the little extra weight of the Ride stick gave me

after using them on the kit at a rehearsal then at a jazz gig that consisted of mostly up tunes I fell in love .

they really really stay on top and seem to respond really well to my slightest most delicate finger moves ...which surprised me because I didn't expect that bead to respond so delicately

thank you for the recommendation

Anytime. You're welcome.

It looks like you discovered the same thing about the stick that I did... It doesn't seem that a stick that size would behave the way that it does.

It's actually a little bigger than the Ride Stick but it feels lighter than even the 5As I had been using. Plus that tip design...it's so easy to play light or as hard as you need. It has a nice fat cross stick sound too.

Glad you like it.

I have been in love with the Erskine Ride sticks since they came out..... definitely an awesome stick and gives fantastic definition on the ride cymbal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM6xhnCitqw
I picked up a pair yesterday on your rec, Ants.

Love this stick! It has transformed the sound of my cymbals. I can't believe the difference. They feel great, too. Only issue I have had is I'm dropping them quite a bit, but I'll get used to that soon enough. Thanks for the rec.

I picked up a pair yesterday on your rec, Ants.

Love this stick! It has transformed the sound of my cymbals. I can't believe the difference. They feel great, too. Only issue I have had is I'm dropping them quite a bit, but I'll get used to that soon enough. Thanks for the rec.

I love the way they make the cymbal sound.....just stunning....and that bead really stays on top

I recently have been messing with his Big Band sticks..... equally as awesome

Back