DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:27 PM

Default C&C player date II vs. Ludwig legacy

Hey everyone, I am new to this site and posted this question somewhere else and received a lot of help. I could use as many opinions as possible since I am having a hard time finding both these kits in the area. I have spent hours and days listening to every sample I can and change my mind every day regarding the next set I will buy. I decided today would be a good day to reach out to the community and pick your brain.

I have an early 80's (birch I think) Tama Superstar that I keep at our practice space for recording. I have been using it live but I find it lacks warmth, resonance and projection in some of the live settings. I also like the drums tuned low. My band plays both acoustic small settings without mics on the drums but also loud, fully miked heavier rock situations. The music is very dynamic and eclectic. It's original and covers sounds from Elliott Smith to the melvins.

Anyway, what I want is a set that has a warm vintage sound but also projects, has attack and resonance for our live shows. Even though I have the tama set up for recording I may like to record with the new kit too. Every time I heard a kit I liked I would google the drummer and for a while most were C&C kits. I love the look, the warmth, and the deep tones they give. The player Date II with maple, luan, maple seem to cut better than some of their other shells. Then I heard the Ludwig legacy's and absolutely loved them. I never paid attention to Ludwig before (except for my 70's supraphonic!) but they sound so resonant, warm and huge I couldn't ignore them. They seem much more open than the C&C's but again, online its hard to tell since rooms, mics etc. are so different. I deally I would play them side by side but I can't find a place that has both.

has anyone played the player date II and the legacy's? Any big differences in sound? Am I on the right track or should I be looking at the Ludwig maple classics vs. C&C maple gladstones? I don't want to lose the warmth by going all maple, that was my concern. Also the gladstones are a bit out of my price range.

Thanks for the help!!
ED
Old 04-09-2015, 09:22 PM

Default Re: C&C player date II vs. Ludwig legacy

I have never personally played either of them, but I have done a ton of homework on both of these kits, so I will just point out a few things;

You will never sacrifice warmth when going with all maple drums, especially either the Gladstone or the Ludwig; I have found the gladstones to be equally warm, but definitely give more projection; this could be due to the bearing edges, ply count, ect.

Bearing edges are definitely worth looking into; find out which ones are used on both kits that speak to you as well as kits that don't; that way, if nothing else, you will know what you DON'T want, which is a good place to start. I know the bearing edges differ from the Player date to the Gladstone, as well as their 12th and vine line, and all of these might be different from any Ludwig line you look into.

Lastly, the Ludwig kit you mentioned would really be more comparable to C&C's 12th and vine kit I mentioned above; those new ludwigs are modeled after the 60's keystone kits; mahogany/maple/mahogany with re-rings. This is the same configuration of the 12th and vine, though again, the bearing edges are probably different. The player date 2's on the other hand do NOT have re-rings in the shells.

I myself have watched drum videos from half a dozen companies and was most consistently blown away by the Gladstones; they are warm, resonant, and incredibly responsive; they seem very capable of any dynamic, and I found them to be very warm and round.

I myself have a 60's Ludwig keystone kit, so I can tell you this; re-rings coupled with rounder bearing edges will kind of "break even" so to speak, as re-rings can tend to ad over tones, while the rounder bearing edges work to give more mid and lower frequencies, so the tones are not so much of a problem. I have also recorded with Ludwig classic maples, and I may be speaking blasphemy here (don't tear me a new one luddites!!) but I myself was not all that impressed.

I'm sure there are other guys on here who could probably chime in with more beneficial info.

any takers??
Old 04-09-2015, 09:36 PM

Default Re: C&C player date II vs. Ludwig legacy

Thanks for the help! I found a baseball bat style bearing edges on the player dates really help the warmth of the sound, but tend to hinder the projection. I haven't heard the PDII version with maple/mahogany/ maple. Also the legacy kit I am looking at is Maple/poplar/maple. The gladstones do sound great! They are just hard to find around here in person. If they have the low end the legacies have though they would be a contender and the price is closer to the Ludwig legacies. I agree with the Ludwig maple classics. They didn't have the low end warmth I was looking for and were too close to my birch kit