anybody using Ludwig heads?

Has anybody here tried Ludwig's heads? I'm mainly interested in their heavy one ply coated ones. How do they compare with coated ambassadors as far as durability and sound?

When I received my new Legacy Classic kit, it of course came with Ludwig heads. Medium weight on the rack tom and heavy weight on the floor toms. I had
already purchased new Remo heads for the kit, but since the Ludwig heads were already on the kit, I tuned them up and gave them a try. I didn't care for
the sound of the medium weight head on the rack tom, but the heavy weights sound fantastic on the floor toms. I've already ordered a couple more Ludwig
heavy weight heads for when they wear out. I think they wear about as well as Remo Ambassadors. I went with a Remo Ambassador-X on my 13" rack tom.

When I received my new Legacy Classic kit, it of course came with Ludwig heads. Medium weight on the rack tom and heavy weight on the floor toms. I had
already purchased new Remo heads for the kit, but since the Ludwig heads were already on the kit, I tuned them up and gave them a try. I didn't care for
the sound of the medium weight head on the rack tom, but the heavy weights sound fantastic on the floor toms. I've already ordered a couple more Ludwig
heavy weight heads for when they wear out. I think they wear about as well as Remo Ambassadors. I went with a Remo Ambassador-X on my 13" rack tom.

I heard the same exact thing from the Five Star shop I frequent. I was checking out a Ludwig Legacy Exotic kit a few weeks ago and noticed that it had Evans G2 Coated heads on its toms. I asked some of my friends there what was going on? They said that they just could not get a decent sound out of the Ludwig Medium heads that came standard on these kits,l so they made a deal with Evans to outfit the Legacy kits they had in stock with Evans G1 clear resonant and G2 Coated heads on the toms. They did sound spectacular compared to another Legacy Exotic kit with the Medium Ludwig heads still installed sitting next to it. BTW, they didn't change the bass drum's "Ludwig" logoed resonant head or the snare heads.

Beautiful sounding and looking set of drums.

Dennis

Just got some Classic Maples about 2 months ago. Came with Ludwig Coated Heavy heads on both reso and batter. I swapped out the reso's with some clear Ambassadors and left the heavy heads on the batters. This pretty much gives me Ambassador's on both sides. I may eventually switch out the batters with Vintage Emp's but for now I'll keep playing these. I think they sound really nice. Plus I have an extra set. Nice bright sound with good resonance.

My local shop carries Ludwig heads, so I've been tempted to try them. Does anyone here actually use them repeatedly, i.e. not just using stock heads?

I do, at least on the floor toms and kick drum reso.

What kind of heads do you use on your floor toms? heavy coated o clear? I'm looking for a ludwig head like the coated emperor (I'm buying a Classic Maple set)

I just set up an 80s Super Sensitive with a coated Heavy batter and clear X-tra thin snare side and I love it.

What kind of heads do you use on your floor toms? heavy coated o clear? I'm looking for a ludwig head like the coated emperor (I'm buying a Classic Maple set)

I've been alternating between the Ludwig heavy coated, and Remo clear emperors. The reso heads are clear ambassadors. The Ludwig heavy weight heads are thick single ply, whereas the emperors are 2 ply. Tuned low, there's not that much difference between them.

I'm about to place my order on a Classic Maple 16x14" floor tom, and I have a bit of a doubt about the heads, I'm looking for coated emperors on the batter side and clear ambassador reso, wich Ludwig heads are the closest to those models?

Last edited:
I'm about to place my order on a Classic Maple 16x14" floor tom, and I have a bit of a doubt about the heads, I'm looking for coated emperors on the batter side and clear ambassador reso, wich Ludwig heads are the closest to those models?

None, just get the heads you want.

Ludwig's film sounds nothing like Remo's.
Coated Ludwig medium top, and a clear medium can sound pretty good, but it's not as fat, or full as a Coated Emp and Ambassador combo.

You can order the drum with whatever Ludwig heads you want, so maybe get clear heavies and that way you'll at least have two bottom heads to use for quite a while.
A Coated Emp on top will sound good with the clear heavy bottom.

None, just get the heads you want.

Ludwig's film sounds nothing like Remo's.
Coated Ludwig medium top, and a clear medium can sound pretty good, but it's not as fat, or full as a Coated Emp and Ambassador combo.

You can order the drum with whatever Ludwig heads you want, so maybe get clear heavies and that way you'll at least have two bottom heads to use for quite a while.
A Coated Emp on top will sound good with the clear heavy bottom.

Thank you Karl, that's a great idea brother, plus I'm missing a reso head for my 16" floor tom of another drum set, so that'll do, so, I'll do that and get the remo emperor and leave the ludwig heavy clear on the reso.

Back