I found a new (2008) DW 3 piece shell pack for...

SgtThump

Platinum Member
... $1,200 or so. This is a "collectors series" sparkle metal flake blue kick drum, mounted tom, and floor tom. It's new, but was used as a demo. The new price is posted something like $2,500, but the reduced price is around $1,200.

This looks like a 22" bass drum, 12" or 10" mounted tom, and a 16" floor tom that seemed like it was 14" deep. Those dimensions are from eyesight only, not with an actual tape measure. They're more of a "jazz" kit or something, but I play classic rock.

Anyway, they are originally listed around $2,500 and are now on sale brand new for $1,200 or so. Is that a killer deal or am I imagining things?

The date inside says August something, 2008. They've marked them down 50%, but I got them down another 10%.

They're not setup, so I haven't played them. But is this a killer deal or no?

Thanks everyone.

Chris

It's a great deal if you like the sound of the Collector series and if there is no damage to the shells for overzealous players trying them out. I would inspect the shells and the bearing edges before I laid over the cash.

Dennis

It's a great deal if you like the sound of the Collector series and if there is no damage to the shells for overzealous players trying them out. I would inspect the shells and the bearing edges before I laid over the cash.

Dennis

Thanks for the info! They're are just stacked up, so I didn't get a chance to hear them. I'm just going by reputation and the low price.

They're definitely not beat up. The stock heads just have minor signs of use and the shells themselves are a litte dusty, but with no apparent damange of any kind.

Should I go for it, even though I haven't heard them? Is that price low enough to risk it?

Thanks for the info! They're are just stacked up, so I didn't get a chance to hear them. I'm just going by reputation and the low price.

They're definitely not beat up. The stock heads just have minor signs of use and the shells themselves are a litte dusty, but with no apparent damange of any kind.

Should I go for it, even though I haven't heard them? Is that price low enough to risk it?

Well, that's up to you. To be perfectly honest with you, I never bought a set of drums that I didn't play first. Reputation is great and it probably sells a bunch of drums, but the pudding is in the hearing of the kit. Since you're interested in the drums, just go back there and have them set them up for you. Take along or get a drum key from them and make any adjustments you need to get them sounding their best. $1200 is great, if they're worth $1200 to you.

BTW, I've seen and felt some minor damage to bearing edges on kits that were, at one time, used as demo kits, just be careful.

Dennis

Well, that's up to you. To be perfectly honest with you, I never bought a set of drums that I didn't play first. Reputation is great and it probably sells a bunch of drums, but the pudding is in the hearing of the kit. Since you're interested in the drums, just go back there and have them set them up for you. Take along or get a drum key from them and make any adjustments you need to get them sounding their best. $1200 is great, if they're worth $1200 to you.

BTW, I've seen and felt some minor damage to bearing edges on kits that were, at one time, used as demo kits, just be careful.

Dennis

Very good advice. I appreciate it. I gotta admit I'm simply going by the "DW" reputation and the typical new price vs. the price I posted. I figured they're worth me getting them new for a used price is good no matter what they sound like. But maybe that's the wrong way to look at it.

Thanks again.

12 16 22 is definitely no jazz kit! a 22" kick is pure rock and roll. as is the 12 and 16. any type of music can be played on any kit blah, blah, blah... but this kit is well suited to rock. bearing edges can be re cut for $18 per edge. that makes this kit a huge steal even if you spend some cash getting the edges worked on. but i bet you wont have to. that last bit is just a hunch though.

12 16 22 is definitely no jazz kit! a 22" kick is pure rock and roll. as is the 12 and 16. any type of music can be played on any kit blah, blah, blah... but this kit is well suited to rock. bearing edges can be re cut for $18 per edge. that makes this kit a huge steal even if you spend some cash getting the edges worked on. but i bet you wont have to. that last bit is just a hunch though.

Agreed, thats a Rock setup all the way. Yes, it can be used for almost anything, but it is a typical 1 up 1 down Rock kit.

That is a good price. DW drums new go for something like $1000 a drum when you divide a kits price by the piece.
1500 bucks would still be a good price. Definately check out the bearing edges and overall condition of the kit though.
If it were me, I would just quick tune each drum (its only three pieces), hold each tom in the air and give them some cracks, then put a drum pedal on the kick and give it a few wacks. That and a good visual inspection would tell me everything I wanted to know. :)

Funny, I was just looking at what sounds alot your kit in question. Youre not in the SF Bay are ya?.

Hey guys, thanks! maybe the mounted tom is a 10", not sure. It's pretty shallow and everything seemed kinda small, which is what made me think of a jazz kit.

I'm fairly new to drumming and just got a Gretsch Catalina Maple 5 piece kit that I love. This DW is waaaaaaaaay nicer than I deserve, but dangit, that blue sparkle and the price is driving me insane. I want it. LOL!

If nothing else, I could sell it for what I pay for it new, so I wouldn't lose anything if I changed my mind later.

Does the "blue sparkle" look anything like this "blue glass" Finishply on my Classics?

DSC_0426-2.jpg

Dennis

For $1200, pull the trigger ... that's about as cheap a price as you're gonna find, for a set of DW tubs.​

Got 'em (at the urging of one of our fellow forumites!)

They had them marked down to 1/2 price and I got them to take an additional 10% off that. Total out the door was $1,246 and that included a random $20 accessory.

dw_kit1.jpg

dw_kit2.jpg

I realize I probably got the deal of the century and I'm stoked about that!!!

I tuned them up last night and spent a little time with them. These things are freaking LOUD and resonate like a mofo! They sound enormous.

I'll get much more time tonight. he he...

Thanks everyone! I sent an email to DW with the serial numbers to get the exact info, but it turns out they need the stamped numbers inside the drums. I'll send that to them tonight and hopefully have more info tomorrow.

Congrats; got mine on a similiar deal back in March. 2010 DW 5 piece that had been sitting in GC for 6 months+ was 50% off sticker and they gave me another 10% off for trading in my old shells. If you can be flexible on the sizes/colors and are willing to shop around a little, you can get a floor demo or NOS Collectors for what the Perfomance series are selling for new.

I'm trying to figure out whether I'm happy for you or just jealous...lol.

Congrats bro!. Youre in the bigs now. :)

Ok, its official...I,m jealous!. ;-)

Dude! Thank you for convincing me to go for it! I really appreciate it and I'm very happy with them so far! I already have my Tama Granstars up for sale locally and on eBay and I may just sell these new Gretsch Catalina Maples too. Not because they don't rock, but because I really only need one set and we all know which one is most likely staying. LOL

Here's a video I just did. I can't get over how sick this floor tom is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00qTZa7pEvs

Dude! Thank you for convincing me to go for it! I really appreciate it and I'm very happy with them so far! I already have my Tama Granstars up for sale locally and on eBay and I may just sell these new Gretsch Catalina Maples too. Not because they don't rock, but because I really only need one set and we all know which one is most likely staying. LOL

Here's a video I just did. I can't get over how sick this floor tom is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00qTZa7pEvs

No problem bra. I knew it would be a no brainer. You will never have to sell them for less then you bought them for. Infact, now that theyre "used" you could probably get $1500 for em right now. :)

As far as your identical twin DW kit here on the west coast, I dont know if they'll budge at BB. I asked them point blank and they gave me a kind-but-firm "no". I'm not much for begging or haggling either-

Maybe I'll luck out and get the one I have my eyes on.

Ha ha, I almost bought a Granstar back in the day. Great high end Tama's, but very 80's, style and sizing wise.
Yeah, I'd say you could sell them without too much heartache, especially now ha ha ha.

Funny, I have a Sonor 3007 and I'm definately NOT "out of love" with them yet.
Yould be hard pressed to get a kit that genuinely sounds and looks better, but if I get a chance at the one I'm checking out, or something else equally great (which I do see once in a while), I'll definately jump.

Oh, they sound killer too dude. Those are keepers for sure, and for a long time.

Dont forget...You NEED cases for those!. ;)

No problem bra. I knew it would be a no brainer. You will never have to sell them for less then you bought them for. Infact, now that theyre "used" you could probably get $1500 for em right now. :)

As far as your identical twin DW kit here on the west coast, I dont know if they'll budge at BB. I asked them point blank and they gave me a kind-but-firm "no". I'm not much for begging or haggling either-

Maybe I'll luck out and get the one I have my eyes on.

Ha ha, I almost bought a Granstar back in the day. Great high end Tama's, but very 80's, style and sizing wise.
Yeah, I'd say you could sell them without too much heartache, especially now ha ha ha.

Funny, I have a Sonor 3007 and I'm definately NOT "out of love" with them yet.
Yould be hard pressed to get a kit that genuinely sounds and looks better, but if I get a chance at the one I'm checking out, or something else equally great (which I do see once in a while), I'll definately jump.

Oh, they sound killer too dude. Those are keepers for sure, and for a long time.

Dont forget...You NEED cases for those!. ;)

Ya know, I like the Granstar set I have. I got it for an incredible deal too from someone I've played with before. I would've just stayed with them for a while, but the rack tom is very deep and I can't get it down low like I like. I'd have to reach up to hit it.

The shallower rack tom on this DW (and on my Gretsch Catalina Maples) makes it MUCH easier to get it where I want it. I'm very, very happy right now!

The Tamas are up for sale and there's a chance I'll sell the Gretsch set too, but I should probably keep that one. It sounds great and is a killer deal for maple shells.

Thanks again, dude!

Great score on the D.W.'s,you really couldn't have done any better considering the condition.If you are going to kick one kit to the curb,and considering how ahead you are in the game cost wise,You may consider keeping the Granstars and cutting down the tom,not dissing the catalinas,but this way you would have a great pro quality Birch and Maple kit.with those two kits you would pretty much be ready for anything musically/sonically.

Back