Drumming in Paris

Dill X

Pioneer Member
I was just recently accepted to study abroad in Paris, and I now must deal with the problem of finding a place to play my drums in a new city.

I am sure Paris has an extremely developed music scene, but the problem is simply finding a place to set up my kit (which I may ship over) and practice alone or with a band.

Does have any advice on how to deal with this dilemma? If someone on here actually lives in Paris or another European city that would help greatly.
There is no way I could deal with not playing on a drum set for two semesters.

Many thanks in advance.

I would probably buy local, and not try and ship my kit.

Assuming you live in the States? I'm about 95% sure that you could buy a mid-level kit (maybe even one from a local/European drum company) for less than it'll cost you to get them there from the states.

You're also buying piece of mind: Airlines are NOTORIOUS for destroying musical equipment (particularly guitars), and while they will give you a refund, be prepared for it not actually covering the cost of your precious tubs.

I may be biased, but that's my $0.02.

Same deal with cymbals:

I wouldn't be taking them with me unless they're specialty cymbals (Vintage As/rare/hard to find cymbals). If you're only practicing by yourself, buy a set of Planet Zs and just cringe every time you play them.

If you are going to take them with, it's always better to take them hand luggage (often banned due to current restrictive airplane allowances: I remember I used to carry my guitar on and off the plane every where I went, the stewardess would put it in their coat cupboard at the front of the plane for me. Since I stopped flying frequently (about 3 years ago) they've tightened up a lot. Otherwise pack them in the hardest case you can find.

finding a place to set up your own kit in paris really is a pain. The easiest way is to rent a rehearsal booth by the hour with a kit included. otherwise you can find few places you can rent where you can rehearse but it will cost you a lot of money.

finding a place to set up your own kit in paris really is a pain. The easiest way is to rent a rehearsal booth by the hour with a kit included. otherwise you can find few places you can rent where you can rehearse but it will cost you a lot of money.

I figured it would cost a lot to rent a space, and I doubt I'd have the money being a student.

Do they have rehearsal studios (like the Drummers Collective in NYC) in Paris specifically aimed at drumming?

Not any that I know of but most rehearsal studios offer either drum booths or special price for rehearsal studios when a drummer comes on his own (I don't know if what I just said was very clear :D )
usually it costs 5 to 8 € for an hour (I guess it must be something like 7 to 10 $). It's not cheap but it is the easiest way. if you want adresses of such places I can give you some, do you already now in which area of paris you are about to stay?

Not any that I know of but most rehearsal studios offer either drum booths or special price for rehearsal studios when a drummer comes on his own (I don't know if what I just said was very clear :D )
usually it costs 5 to 8 € for an hour (I guess it must be something like 7 to 10 $). It's not cheap but it is the easiest way. if you want adresses of such places I can give you some, do you already now in which area of paris you are about to stay?

I would probably be in the 11th arrondissement. I still have to finalize details (I would move in August/September).

Those prices aren't that bad considering what I've paid before for studio time.

Those addresses would be great to have. I'm glad to hear there is a drummer from Paris on here.

How do you manage to practice there? What's the independent music scene like, as I would like to probably join a band?
There are about a hundred questions I could ask you about living in Paris haha

Hi,

I'll give you my email adress trhough private message if you have more questions.

personally i used to practice in one of thoses studios until I found a place that has been furnished by a few bands, we share the rent and each band gets a whole to oneself so I go and practice there on my day and some other times when bands cancel their rehearsals.

The independent scene is okay, there are many bands, a few good ones, I'll give you websites and places where you can view ads and post one yourself if you're looking for a band.
Giggin in paris is quite a pain though bar tenders really are a chore, it's easy to find places to gig but not easy to find places to do it in good conditions.

Well once you'll be in paris you want to have a drink and talk about all that feel free to drop me a message! :)

oh and by the way the place where I practice is not in paris, it's in the suburbs. It's easier to find such places there.

Back