Stick tip chipping advice

The Modernist

Afternoon all. I'm not sure if this is a technique thing or an equipment thing, however I'll throw the question out there and see what I can get back. I'm currently playing Vater Los Angeles 5A sticks with wooden tips. My issue is the tips themselves chipping quite easily. The shafts are great and long lasting, and the stick feels really good in my hands, but the tip being knocked out of shape makes them pretty much worthless in a small amount of time. Considering the cost of sticks I'd like to make them last a lot longer than they currently are.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is it a technique issue?

I realise I could swap to nylon tips, but I much prefer the sound of wood on cymbals.

Thanks all.

Striking angle could have an impact, make sure the stick is as horizontally as possible when hitting both drums and cymbals. Other than that I don't think there's anything you can do except playing more lightly.

I switched to nylon tips for this reason, and I actually love the sound of nylon tips on my ride.

Use nylon tips for practice and some gigs. Save wood tips for studio and special gigs. Or buy Vater "seconds". They are just as good but have cosmetic issues. My local drum shop got some for me, but I had to buy twelve pairs. Musician's Friend also has them under different names, such as Pulse and Goodwood. Peace and goodwill.

Same issue here. I use nylon tips for live performance & rehearsals for that very reason, though I prefer wood tips on both drums & cymbals. I use wood tips for recording though.

I can see why. I'm not (yet) recording 'n' stuff, so I go for durability as well. Wood tips sound better (especially on my cymbals), but tend to split more easily. Therefore, I am also using nylon tips (Vater LA 5A's, for that matter) when jamming.

Oddly enough, on my practice pad (where 'tear and wear' assumedly matter less), I prefer Vic Firth American Classic 5A's (wood tips). In my hands (... memory, ... whatever) they 'feel' slightly better, especially at the back of the stick (i.e. the 'butt' as opposed to the 'tip').

Check out Regal Tip's "E" Series stick. The tips are nylon but they are ribbed. They offer a tone about halfway between wood and nylon. It's definitely not as harsh as smooth nylon. Plus they will last long like standard nylon tips. I wish Vic Firth would make their version of them.

Hmmmm, I have a set of Vater Los Angeles 5A's that have lasted me many, many hours, still going strong. Maybe your local store has a bad batch.

Some of my sticks still suffer from premature tip chipping now and again, but the very worse that had this problem were my Hornet 5A sticks. I still have a few new pairs of these lying around. It's a shame because they really felt good in my hands.

Dennis

Back