That Erskine kit at NAMM

Would say if you wanted a Tama yellow kit go ahead. Tony's yellow kit was a Gretsch.

Would say if you wanted a Tama yellow kit go ahead. Tony's yellow kit was a Gretsch.

And DW.

070710-Tony-williams-1.jpg

I like yellow but there is something about the color that tells the inner workings of my mind that I would never buy a yellow drum kit or a Yellow car for that matter.
It does look like a nice setup though.
I think that I don't like larger yellow objects.

For quite a while Dennis Chambers went with yellow on his Pearl kit. He'd been on a gorgeous silver sparkle for a while - does he still go with the yellow on occasion?

Do you guys ever go to a club and see a drummer with yellow drums, though? I can't say it's something I ever come across. Also, if I buy the yellow in a four-piece bop set, that's not the same as the yellow monster Tony played later on.

Can you tell I'm rationalizing here?? :)

I saw Soul Asylum at a bar in Baltimore in the 80's. Their drummer had a yellow Yamaha kit. Sounded incredible.

I assume Peter is playing the maple shells and not the bubinga.

If one is to play yellow Tama's then one must dress accordingly.

Attachments

• bruford3.jpg
    bruford3.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,685
Peter played a yellow Yamaha kit back in the day with Jaco.

I would never get a yellow kit though. That's reserved for Tony. I don't sound like Tony.

Now orange I could do. Or even lime green.

I have a Yamaha Mellow Yellow Tour Custom kit. It has nothing to do with Tony or Elvin, but everything to do with Peter. He did play a yellow Recording Custom Kit back in the 80's. I remember drooling over it in Modern Drummer, way back. He must have either bought it in Japan or had it custom made, since Yamaha never mass produced RC's in yellow. They did make the Turbo Tours in yellow, which is what I have. Bought them for $375 a few years ago and had Precision drum cut down the 10 and 12 to traditional depth, and left the 14 as 14x14 for a floor tom. I also have a 13x13 and had Precision make a matching 8".

I get lots of compliments on both the looks and sound of the kit. These old Tours are really warm sounding. They are perfect for un-mic'd live playing, but also sound great under mics.

The yellow and red does look like a McDonald's kit (sorry, Tony).

Attachments

• yellow yamahas.jpg
    yellow yamahas.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 818
Peter's new Star series kit is interesting for both the color and the fact it is a Bubinga shell with reinforcing rings. I have never seen a Tama Bubinga Kit with reinforcing rings and it looks like the rings are Bubinga as well. They do sound very nice. Bubinga has been on my radar a bit now.

Peter's new Star series kit is interesting for both the color and the fact it is a Bubinga shell with reinforcing rings. I have never seen a Tama Bubinga Kit with reinforcing rings and it looks like the rings are Bubinga as well. They do sound very nice. Bubinga has been on my radar a bit now.

They sound out of this world. Deep and rich. Gorgeous sounding drums as good as you can get in ply production drums IMO.

They sound out of this world. Deep and rich. Gorgeous sounding drums as good as you can get in ply production drums IMO.

I believe that. I was blown away with my Starclassic solid bubinga kit. I can imagine thin bubinga with re-rings sounding better:)

Yellow is the ultimate color. Period. I have a yellow jazz kit, and sure it can serve as a nod to Tony or Elvin, but I've loved yellow since my childhood, and my jazz heroes are Blakey and Roach.

I LOVE that yellow tama kit.. the yellow and chrome are just perfect.. I have a dw design kit.. and they are cheap and i will never complain about it.. i would much rather have that tama now though. that yellow just works:)

Has there been any talk about the cost?

Always loved the Bruford yellow kit with him wearing the yellow jacket! Wil Calhoon also played (or plays) a yellow kit with Living Colour I believe.

I wouldn't say anyone with a yellow kit is copying Tony. First off, good luck having anyone in your audience who even knows who Tony Williams is! I'd think of it more as a homage to him. Go for it I say! It's a fantastic finish.

Always loved the Bruford yellow kit with him wearing the yellow jacket! Wil Calhoon also played (or plays) a yellow kit with Living Colour I believe.

I wouldn't say anyone with a yellow kit is copying Tony. First off, good luck having anyone in your audience who even knows who Tony Williams is! I'd think of it more as a homage to him. Go for it I say! It's a fantastic finish.
I agree with this. Especially if you're playing a 12/14/18 set in that finish.

Still rationalizing why he should buy the yellow set,
8Mile

Back