Stolen Drums, a long, frustrating story

Thanks for all the replies, I have been reading and acting on many of your suggestions, so thanks for the support!
UPDATE
My drums turned up a couple weeks ago, the local drum shop owner was contacted by someone looking to trade "a tom and snare, cc, with bags". Unfortunately, the owner didn't see the email for a week or two, then the seller wouldn't respond to his inquiry. So the trail went cold.
Yesterday, though, a vigilant friend/bandmate found what appeared to be one of my drums on ebay! I looked and yeah, definitely mine. Same case, same head, my drum. I contacted the seller, which is a local pawn shop, and they removed the ebay listing, which was nice. The detective assigned to my case contacted them, though, and unfortunately they will not just give them up, nor do they have to. Player Dates do not get serial numbers, and there is nothing else to prove that they are unique. I talked to the manager there, and he is willing to sell the drums back for what they paid out ($400) but it is up to the police to find the thief and get that money back for me.
I don't know that there is much hope for getting my money back, but as much as it kills me I think my best option is to go buy back my own drums.
Great news in one respect, but I completely understand how having to buy your own drums back twists your gut - it certainly would with me.

If the police can prove they're stolen, doesn't the shop have to give them up then? I understand that's difficult without numbers or otherwise unique distinguishing features. I assume the pawn shop is duty bound to keep correct records of the seller, & to seek proof of identity before purchasing items?

The original thieving little scumbag needs a damn good thrashing - daily!

Any chance that C&C might have some documentation, order sheet, bill, that could help prove your ownership?

Any chance that C&C might have some documentation, order sheet, bill, that could help prove your ownership?

M thought exactly, but they don't serialize these drums because they make too many of them. The best the C&C sales person (named Jesse, who was super helpful) can show is that I bought the same kit, from the right period due to design details (the lugs have since changed). Unfortunately, all the information I have just doesn't add up to enough for the police to prove they're mine I guess.

Even with a bill of sale and invoice,you'll still need to prove that those 2 drums,and those 2 ONLY,belong to you.There has to be individual characteristics,that are unique to only those 2 drums,which is why serial numbers are good in a way.

But bad guys deface serial numbers,and remove tags /badges all the time,rendering an item,not otherwise marked,untraceable.

The NYPD,had programs that started with bicycles and expanded to other property and motor vehicles,where by,a police officer would mark a piece of property,and record that number and discription of the property,in each precinct.

I have my initials ,engraved inside the lugs of all of my drums.I also have a record of all the serial numbers of drums,that have badges with serial numbers.

I know it bites having to buy back your own drums,but at least,you'll get them back,and maybe the scumbag humanoid will get found.Still,he won't be looking at a lot of jail time.

This walking turd needs a good old fashioned tune up,or what we used to call a "maglight shampoo".

Steve B

Even with a bill of sale and invoice,you'll still need to prove that those 2 drums,and those 2 ONLY,belong to you.There has to be individual characteristics,that are unique to only those 2 drums,which is why serial numbers are good in a way.

But bad guys deface serial numbers,and remove tags /badges all the time,rendering an item,not otherwise marked,untraceable.

The NYPD,had programs that started with bicycles and expanded to other property and motor vehicles,where by,a police officer would mark a piece of property,and record that number and discription of the property,in each precinct.

I have my initials ,engraved inside the lugs of all of my drums.I also have a record of all the serial numbers of drums,that have badges with serial numbers.

I know it bites having to buy back your own drums,but at least,you'll get them back,and maybe the scumbag humanoid will get found.Still,he won't be looking at a lot of jail time.

This walking turd needs a good old fashioned tune up,or what we used to call a "maglight shampoo".

Steve B

I like the way you think. Just remember, innocent until proven guilty. lol

Thanks for all the replies, I have been reading and acting on many of your suggestions, so thanks for the support!
UPDATE
My drums turned up a couple weeks ago, the local drum shop owner was contacted by someone looking to trade "a tom and snare, cc, with bags". Unfortunately, the owner didn't see the email for a week or two, then the seller wouldn't respond to his inquiry. So the trail went cold.
Yesterday, though, a vigilant friend/bandmate found what appeared to be one of my drums on ebay! I looked and yeah, definitely mine. Same case, same head, my drum. I contacted the seller, which is a local pawn shop, and they removed the ebay listing, which was nice. The detective assigned to my case contacted them, though, and unfortunately they will not just give them up, nor do they have to. Player Dates do not get serial numbers, and there is nothing else to prove that they are unique. I talked to the manager there, and he is willing to sell the drums back for what they paid out ($400) but it is up to the police to find the thief and get that money back for me.
I don't know that there is much hope for getting my money back, but as much as it kills me I think my best option is to go buy back my own drums.

Great to hear you found them! It's a pity about the $$$, hopefully the jerk who took them gets what's coming to him :-/

I'm late here....Maybe I missed something, but does the pawn shop have a security cam to see who sold the drums to them? I'm very sorry to hear about your problem....this really sucks. I know I would also be very upset....

One band mate of mine actually had a solid-stock cage welded into his van so he could keep his gear in there...of course they could steal the vehicle though.

I use a 4 legged first alert and response system....named Admiral Ben. He is at home with us, and goes to the office with me and likes to sit in my truck when I have gear and need to stop somewhere for a minute or two. At 100lbs and a head larger than most humans, folks choose not to enter...quite a deterrent. And he is my best buddy.

Last edited:
So I did it, I bought them back. Right now I'm not too happy about the money, it being the holidays, but I think pretty soon that will give way to just being ecstatic to have my drums back (probably the first time I play them again haha). There's still a slim chance that I'll recover the money, but the important thing to me is that I have my kit again.

Steve B

I came up with a lot of info to prove I had that TYPE of drum, but in the end I don't think it will be enough to prove they are uniquely mine. First thing today I'm going to follow your lead and engrave or otherwise mark the inside of my drums. Thanks for your input through this whole experience, tamadrm, and everyone else with good advice!

You can only hope the loser who stole them overdosed on the crack he bought from their sale!

Elliot, are the police continuing to investigate with the store owner, or is it case closed now you have your drums back?

Congrats on getting your drums back!!

I'm sure the money aspect is a bummer, but at least you got them back. $400 is still far less than re-ordering them.

Elliot, are the police continuing to investigate with the store owner, or is it case closed now you have your drums back?

The case will remain open till the statute of limitations runs out.The humanoid thief,is guity of petty theft,and fraud.I don't know what that is in Maine,but in NY,it's 5 years,with murder,being the exception.

I know in most states,when you go to a pawn shop ,or sell gold jewlery,you're required to present photo I.D.,But there's lots of phony I.D.s floating around out there.

Steve B

So I did it, I bought them back. Right now I'm not too happy about the money, it being the holidays, but I think pretty soon that will give way to just being ecstatic to have my drums back (probably the first time I play them again haha). There's still a slim chance that I'll recover the money, but the important thing to me is that I have my kit again.

I came up with a lot of info to prove I had that TYPE of drum, but in the end I don't think it will be enough to prove they are uniquely mine. First thing today I'm going to follow your lead and engrave or otherwise mark the inside of my drums. Thanks for your input through this whole experience, tamadrm, and everyone else with good advice!
At least yours resurfaced. Mine never did.

I know Z man, I can't believe he got them back. How often does that happen, right? The 400 definitely sucks....I feel for ya there. Like how unfair. But you'll get that 400 back in other forms, maybe even cash if you're lucky.

UPDATE

I know it is a hard pill to swallow however if you had no option but to buy them separately from C &C they probably would have been much more considering they don't have individual prices on the drums, only kit prices.Quite fortunate that you were able to track them down. Good karma may come your way; May you land one of the best gigs ever so far and receive double the money you normally get.

At least yours resurfaced. Mine never did.

So sorry to hear that, man. I know how you feel, and I very easily could have been in the same boat. I just got lucky.

The police are continuing to investigate. They have tracked down the person who sold the drums to the pawn shop, but he said he bought them from someone else. They're looking for him, but all this other guy needs to say is that he got them from a friend. So there's a slim chance of actually findingthe original thief, or of proving anything. As tamadrm said, the case will stay open, but even my relatively expensive drums are small potatoes compared to what the police must be dealing with. I'm not really expecting anything to come of it, but the detective is still investigating.

On the bright side, you got your drums back which is awesome. We all learn expensive lessons once in a while. I feel your pain.

Enjoy your drums again. They are beautiful.

I think I am going to name each drum after this:

Snare: Carl
Tom: Steve
Tom: Thad
Tom: Brian
Tom: Chris
Bass: Jessy

I will write those names inside the shells as to identify them.

Downside is if I start saying, "I've lost Carl!" People may think I am a bad parent.

Back