DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What's the worst drumming mistake you've heard on a professional recording?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
Do guitarist, bassists, and other musicians scrutinize each other's playing like this, or is this just something we as drummers do?
Yes they do, but nobody's listening that hard. Here's an obvious flub on a huge hit. Right at 6 seconds in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwbowi-8Yoo

Alternatively, I don't consider that Gin Blossoms intro to be a flub. It sounds like he just decided to come in with a bass drum hit before the snare, similar to if he was transitioning to another part. He plays the bass drum like that in other parts of the song. It's just his style and it seems incorrect on first listen, but it fits.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What's the worst drumming mistake you've heard on a professional recording?

Guitar players sometimes rag on stuff forgetting that what they don't dig might actually be stylistically appropriate.

I think we can all agree that this wasn't intentional, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiDvqTS5BAc
Old 09-03-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
Guitar players sometimes rag on stuff forgetting that what they don't dig might actually be stylistically appropriate.

I think we can all agree that this wasn't intentional, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiDvqTS5BAc
An interesting take on that one.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:32 PM
Senior Consultant

Bonham speeds up during the latin flavored piano break in Fool in the Rain and it's awesome.

Believe it or not, fellow click-slaves, tempo is a tool that can be used to great effect by an experienced musician.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Accelerando

Old 09-04-2017, 04:09 PM

90's 1 hit wonder Folk Implosion "Natural One". Drum intro is really bad..

https://youtu.be/IYerwwTV5qc
Old 09-04-2017, 04:58 PM

I've always wondered if the intro to the Eagles 'Take It Easy' was a mistake or not. The beat turns around when Henley comes in, but it sounds like it was planned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeDUBxEVDXM

Also, not linked, but 'Honky Tonk Woman' speeds up quite a bit from the beginning of the intro to the first verse - and keeps getting faster throughout the song.

And also, if you just want to include really mediocre playing (rushing, dragging), pretty much any Band of Horses songs.

Last edited by single-ply; 09-04-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
90's 1 hit wonder Folk Implosion "Natural One". Drum intro is really bad..

https://youtu.be/IYerwwTV5qc
That was purposefully not done well.
They are anti-musicians.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by single-ply View Post
I've always wondered if the intro to the Eagles 'Take It Easy' was a mistake or not. The beat turns around when Henley comes in, but it sounds like it was planned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeDUBxEVDXM
Used to hear it that way too, but Henley comes in right, it does not turn around at all, thing is that the guitar doesn't start the song on one but on the & of 4.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisman View Post
Fleetwood Mac 'Don't Stop' has several cymbal crashes 1 or 3 beats after the downbeat. They add to the character a bit, but there are some weirder ones near the end of the song, 2 1/4 bars into the section.
Exactly. What is a mistake and what isn't a mistake? We've got no way of knowing. Happy accidents may well be as a result of experimentation and pushing the envelope a little bit, if no one did this music would be a boring place.
Not that I can compare myself one bit to Mick Fleetwood, but when recording for a Hardcore Punk band many years ago, the sound engineer told me that when we were tracking the drums he thought my cymbal strikes were in the "wrong" place, possibly in part due to my habit of drum rolling around the kit and playing a double on the bass pedal before hitting the cymbal instead of going straight to the crash, possibly in part due to me just liking hitting cymbals at off kilter times. When the whole of the track was put together it made sense and he was a little bit surprised by my choices. If it was possible to "put it right" digitally the songs would have sounded totally different and, dare I say it, totally average and expected.
I'm no rhythmic genius but I'll often play fills and sections in unexpected lengths rather than for (or on) a two count or a four count. It often gets a smile from my band mates but it never interrupts the flow of the song or makes it awkward for the listener, or makes it "all about me", but it does make things different enough from the norm to be worth doing.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Surely that wasn't recorded all live?! Maybe it was a happy accident in the rehearsal stage, but I would assume they intended it to be that in the end.
Yeah you're probably right, just sounds so weird though, like a mistake that was kept
Old 09-07-2017, 12:45 AM

Again, not a major cock-up by any means, but always thought one of the quarter note bass drum hits was off here. Listen from 1 minute 15 seconds.

It's Neil, believe it or not, on a lesser-known Rush track, We Hold On, from Snakes and Arrows. Maybe Pro Tools was having an off day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-p8_efY7-Y
Old 09-07-2017, 12:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Yes, the bar is raised for us as far as time discipline goes.

The great majority of the music I dig wouldn't pass that test either Lar.

The generations of players that have heard quantized music from day 1....IMO have a big advantage in that area over players who for most of their life never had to deal with that. But I think the old school players, the good ones...have something intangible that is undeniable. More human (read imperfect) for sure.

I would love to hear someone quantize a classic Miles recording, just to see how it would sound.

I refuse to buy Exit... Stage Left by Rush on CD because they quantized the end of YYZ after the drum solo. On lp/cassette, you can tell that Peart brings the song back in at a much slower tempo than from before the solo- understandably, 'cause he's tired! On digital releases, they "fixed" it. :/
Old 09-07-2017, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermac View Post
Again, not a major cock-up by any means, but always thought one of the quarter note bass drum hits was off here. Listen from 1 minute 15 seconds.

It's Neil, believe it or not, on a lesser-known Rush track, We Hold On, from Snakes and Arrows. Maybe Pro Tools was having an off day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-p8_efY7-Y
That song would have almost certainly been recorded to click track as there was a lot of multi-tracking/ layering with that album, so I don't think Neil can be blamed for this. I think what is more likely is that it was a timing error in post-production. A whole 16th note is sliced off, making it a random 15/16 bar in the middle of a 4/4 song!
Old 09-07-2017, 04:01 AM
Platinum Member

The one thing is, what is a mistake, and what was changed after the drum tracks?

I recall Terry Bozzio discussing Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop album he was on. One on song in particular, Behind The Veil, Terry recorded the drum parts, then Tony Hymas re-wrote all the keyboard parts, including changing where the bar lines were. So when it came to doing the song live, Terry had to re-learn his own parts, because even though all the strokes, fills, etc of his part were unchanged, how they related to what everyone else was doing was different.

I believe Mick Fleetwood has some of these same issues with Fleetwood Mac in that he would record the drum parts, then Lindsey Buckingham would layer on so many guitar parts that the songs would evolve into something different, hence some cymbal crashes that sound like they are in weird places.

I was once taking lessons from Dave Beyer (Christopher Cross, Melissa Etheridge) and he was telling me how on one session he was given the sheet music, and the producer said go, and he site read he piece. He felt he was a little off on a few things, and asked to do a 2nd take, and the producer said "no, I wanted it to sound like that.." and so all the mistakes were left in.

Sometimes it's not necessary the drummers "fault" for things on an album to be off.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by single-ply View Post
Also, not linked, but 'Honky Tonk Woman' speeds up quite a bit from the beginning of the intro to the first verse - and keeps getting faster throughout the song.
And the cowbell was (I read somewhere) added in after the song had been recorded...which is why it's in such odd time.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:55 PM

One that's always bugged me is on Kool & The Gang's Funky Stuff where midway through, the second bar of the two-bar phrase switches round. Still, a killer funk groove.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:22 PM

I don't know if I'd call it a mistake, but one thing that has always bothered me is in the chorus for Welcome To The Jungle, when he plays the cowbell part it sounds like he slows down. It could just be me, but that's all I hear when listening to that song, though I do love it.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Silver Member

Sorry it's gonna be French - classic - song. Performed by Barbara, l'Aigle Noir (The Black Eagle).
On the original recording, around 4 mn, the drummer seems lost in his rhythm, almost reversed. There's a lot of flanger effect on the drums (70's fashion), but I still don't understand why they kept this ? The songs moves on, but the rhythm is particularly strange. I don't think it was on purpose 'cos he goes back to the former accents few bars after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd-2w4TgIQE

Just think of another that I like, a bit of topic, but still, it's an oddity: On Locomotive breath by Jethro tull, on the great album Aqualung : the bass amp speaker dies in the middle of the song, and you clearly hear it. Still they kept the recording that way.

Last edited by Tamaefx; 09-08-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
There are lots of little mistakes apparent only to the most persnickety musicians, but there's a classic drumming mistake that can't be denied by any listener.

Near the end of "Wild Weekend" - a hit for the Rockin Rebels, and very recognizable instrumental - the drums turn around by a 1/4 note, so the surf snare is on 1& and 3. Clearly a mistake, and the songs fades immediately after that. I guess it was easier/cheaper to just fade-out and hope nobody caught it, than to do another take!

https://youtu.be/z49t7c5cRmk?t=1m50s

Bermuda

PS - this was a top-10 single!
I'm surprised they let that go.. Almost sounded like he was about to stop playing.

Maybe it was some early experimentation with beat displacement leading into the prog/metal stuff we hear now :) haha
Old 09-09-2017, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaefx View Post
Sorry it's gonna be French - classic - song. Performed by Barbara, l'Aigle Noir (The Black Eagle).
On the original recording, around 4 mn, the drummer seems lost in his rhythm, almost reversed. There's a lot of flanger effect on the drums (70's fashion), but I still don't understand why they kept this ? The songs moves on, but the rhythm is particularly strange. I don't think it was on purpose 'cos he goes back to the former accents few bars after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd-2w4TgIQE
He accents in a funny place, but it's not wrong. He never loses time, and is never apparently lost; and he does the weird thing several times in a row, so it's clearly deliberate.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I always thought he did that on purpose.
I've always wondered about this one...on purpose, or an accident they left in?

And, do any bands that cover "start me up" play the 'mistake', if that's what it is?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerCA35 View Post
I've always wondered about this one...on purpose, or an accident they left in?

And, do any bands that cover "start me up" play the 'mistake', if that's what it is?
A former band of mine used to cover it, and yes, I played that first snare note on 1.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:46 AM

I think someone already mentioned "Eye of the Tiger" but the entire band hits the chords in the second time through the riff like an eighth note off or something and it really bothers me

idk that's not a good way to describe it but listen to the intro of the song and you'll hear it if you haven't already
Old 09-22-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3r1_drums View Post
I think someone already mentioned "Eye of the Tiger" but the entire band hits the chords in the second time through the riff like an eighth note off or something and it really bothers me

idk that's not a good way to describe it but listen to the intro of the song and you'll hear it if you haven't already
It was written that way.

First pass accents [cap X], marked as 16th notes:

Xxxx xxxx XxxX xxXx | xxxx xxxx XxxX xxXx | xxxx xxxx XxxX xxXx | xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

Then, the second pass, with drums and all other instruments in time with each other [with section you're referencing in bold]:

Xxxx xxxx XxxX xxXx | xxxx xxxx xxXx xXxx |Xxxx xxxx XxxX xxXx | xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

It was just a simple way to mix things up a bit so it wouldn't be so repetitive and boring. If it were a mistake, then it would sound truly terrible.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:49 AM
Silver Member

Yeah Eye of the Tiger was definitely deliberate. I never once in my life thought it was a mistake, even knowing of the 8th note delay.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:47 PM
Silver Member

Well we had the usual Meg White bashing, but no one mentioned the snare on St Anger in its entirety.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

I always thought Eye of the Tiger sped up during the actual groove (not during a fill). I used to play along to it a fair bit as a kid, and there's a bit where I always feel either the next downbeat is slightly early or it actually speeds up just a little. It's an "uncomfortable" feeling for a moment. I could be talking crap as I've never measured it ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4

Listening now, I think it's the kick at 2.35. It feels early.

Am I going mad????!!
Old 09-25-2017, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belairien View Post
..........the snare on St Anger in its entirety.
A piss poor sonic choice can certainly be argued.

But I'm not sure you can call something that repeats every two and four for an entire album a mistake.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
I always thought Eye of the Tiger sped up during the actual groove (not during a fill). I used to play along to it a fair bit as a kid, and there's a bit where I always feel either the next downbeat is slightly early or it actually speeds up just a little. It's an "uncomfortable" feeling for a moment. I could be talking crap as I've never measured it ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4

Listening now, I think it's the kick at 2.35. It feels early.

Am I going mad????!!
I heard it. Were tracks not laid down to a click back then?
Old 09-25-2017, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
I heard it. Were tracks not laid down to a click back then?
Not necessarily.

The concept of recording to a click existed back then, but wasn't considered super common until a few years later.

Many albums in the early 80's were recorded without click tracks.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Not necessarily.

The concept of recording to a click existed back then, but wasn't considered super common until a few years later.

Many albums in the early 80's were recorded without click tracks.
I thought maybe it was from a drop in or cut and splice (or whatever it's called).. you know, like 2 takes put together? And the join was a fraction early. It's not too bad when just listening, but it's certainly noticeable when trying to play along to it!
Old 09-30-2017, 05:26 AM
Silver Member

Got a new one. Tell me if I'm crazy or you catch that way-late kick drum too (not a direct link but a close one).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf7F...youtu.be&t=116
Old 09-30-2017, 05:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I thought maybe it was from a drop in or cut and splice (or whatever it's called).. you know, like 2 takes put together? And the join was a fraction early. It's not too bad when just listening, but it's certainly noticeable when trying to play along to it!
That's possible too.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I thought maybe it was from a drop in or cut and splice (or whatever it's called)
That made me think of Tom Scholz editing drums for the song "Don't Look Back."

VIDEO

A mistake today is by far easier to fix than it was back then.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:16 AM

Roger Taylor's tempo really suffers on "Radio Gaga" from Live at Wembley, but mistakes on live recording are certainly more forgivable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgjJ-oV4I_Q

On "Born to Hand Jive", the drummer comes in off-beat after the drum solo at 2:15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY5pmzmiDO8
Old 10-09-2017, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

This is obviously intentional, but you have to wonder what the drummer was snorting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CJMoXIlm4o
Old 10-09-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
This is obviously intentional, but you have to wonder what the drummer was snorting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CJMoXIlm4o
I'll have what he's having!

This makes no sense at all, and they play it like this live, too!
Old 10-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

[quote=MBJ;1526347]Roger Taylor's tempo really suffers on "Radio Gaga" from Live at Wembley, but mistakes on live recording are certainly more forgivable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgjJ-oV4I_Q

It's hard when you are "fighting" a crowd of people who speed up and/or slow down. I've done it. I used to play at a church and in front of other crowds who would get excited and start speeding up the tempo of songs. It was a killer to "fight" it.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Silver Member

Not really a "drumming" mistake, but in my opinion much worse, is a bad drum mix. Rock and metal in the 80s was notorious for this. Some otherwise really great albums are tragically worthless because of it.