DW 7000 dbl bass at GC

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Last weekend I bought a used DW 7000 double bass pedal I saw at GC.

I had been wanting a double bass pedal and had a $50 GC gift card, so I thought "why not"? After looking it over and asking several basic quesions about maintenance, I bought it on layaway. It seemed like it was in great condition.

What's the word on DW 7000's?

Thanks!

The 7000's (now called the 3000s) are pretty much what 5000's were in the late 90's, just without the delta hinge. The newer 5000's have a few upgrades over the 7000, but nothing significant. Add some Delta hinges to yours and you have pretty much the same pedal for less $$.

I actually like the slimmer heel piece on the 7000s more than the bulky 5000/9000 design.

Good pedal for the money.

Last weekend I bought a used DW 7000 double bass pedal I saw at GC.

I had been wanting a double bass pedal and had a $50 GC gift card, so I thought "why not"? After looking it over and asking several basic quesions about maintenance, I bought it on layaway. It seemed like it was in great condition.

What's the word on DW 7000's?

Thanks!

Thanks Scarlit, good to know.

I forgot to mention it was $120.

Is that a good deal?

Yea Rouge, that's a great price for a new double pedal. I think I got my singles for 79.99 each IIRC.

I have 2 - DW 3000 pedals. I think they are a fine pedal. To me, it feels like a 5000. I've been playing the same 5000 since 2003, and I never even think about it. The 3000's have an achilles heel, but the good news is it's easily corrected for free basically. I actually broke a hinge on my 3000. Well my son did. The casting cracked. I was able to get a replacement hinge at GC for 12 USD. When I went to install it, I realized why the hinge casting snapped. Basically, it's floating in mid air. The 3000's have a floor plate, and you can see daylight between the bottom of the hinge and the floor plate. So when I installed the new hinge, I simply wedged and secured some wood between the hinge and the floor plate, so the hinge is supported and isn't floating anymore. I did that to my second pedal too. Now I never expect to have any issues with that pedal.

I did see one comment about the 3000 that if you bury the beater, the vibrations get transferred to the footboard pretty easily compared to IC's. But I rebound the beater so it works great for me.

I did see one comment about the 3000 that if you bury the beater, the vibrations get transferred to the footboard pretty easily compared to IC's. But I rebound the beater so it works great for me.

Scarlit nailed it. And yes that was me who said that. I should elaborate and say that it's much worse when only wearing socks and using the 3000. It doesn't matter with the IC's but with the 3000's you can feel quite a bit of the impact. The IC is like a tank and the 3000 is like a Jeep lol! :)

True, it's not over built. I wouldn't recommend it if you stomp and bury.

True, it's not over built. I wouldn't recommend it if you stomp and bury.

Well I wouldn't go that far, I'm not 350lbs so my stomp and bury isn't that taxing on the pedals lol. Honestly they're built well and will stand up to plenty of abuse if you're one to take care of your stuff. Honestly my decision to get the IC's over my 3000's wasn't because of that, at the time, it was because of the horrible and cheap rocker assembly with that bearing rocker. The bearing rocker is poorly made and that design causes a lot of friction which slows the action of the pedal. My bearing rocker is burned up and I have to order a new one which is $6+tax. I barely had it for about 2 years and you could hear the destruction going on in the bearing rocker. The bearing became loose, you can hear the grinding etc. Even with a bit of grease or lube it still wasn't the same. Now Tama's rocker design is superb! Virtually frictionless! When you get to try these upper level pedals you see where the extra money is going and it's money well spent. I can't even imagine what the $800 pedals are like!

My DW 7000 double pedal hasn't failed me yet since the year I bought them which was 2007. My honest opinion is they are very good pedal for their investment. I paid mine 215 $ back then.

Scarlit post resume my thoughts about them ;-)

Honestly my decision to get the IC's over my 3000's wasn't because of that, at the time, it was because of the horrible and cheap rocker assembly with that bearing rocker. The bearing rocker is poorly made and that design causes a lot of friction which slows the action of the pedal. My bearing rocker is burned up and I have to order a new one which is $6+tax. I barely had it for about 2 years and you could hear the destruction going on in the bearing rocker.

Actually, the problem with this was that DW's bearing supplier shipped them a box of lemons. Those defective bearings failed quickly.

They corrected the problem, and if you phone them up, they'll probably send you a replacement bearing for free.

I had one of these in one of my DW's and it got grindy and adding lube did not help much.

That sounds like the very thing that happened with mine. For the time being I just switched the one from the slave pedal over to the main to compare it to my IC for a bit. Even then I think I'm going to trade them in or sell them to put some money toward some other hardware or cymbals. With having the Tama IC's I don't have much use for them anymore. I'd hate to sell them to GC as they only give you so much but there's not many options to sell them. I don't do Ebay and I don't like doing sales over the web so GC or local is my only chance really. Something is better than nothing I suppose.

Honestly, Im a big DW pedal fan but for the money that can get you a used 5002, the 7000's aren't as good an investment. I see used 5002's on the GC website for 150, sometimes less...also, with the 5000's, if something does fail, you(I) can justify putting money into parts. I can't see the sense putting any money into anything other the 5's and 9's ...Sorry!

Honestly, Im a big DW pedal fan but for the money that can get you a used 5002, the 7000's aren't as good an investment. I see used 5002's on the GC website for 150, sometimes less...also, with the 5000's, if something does fail, you(I) can justify putting money into parts. I can't see the sense putting any money into anything other the 5's and 9's ...Sorry!

Yeah when I got back into drumming a couple years ago I actually just wanted something cheap for the time being, which was the PDP 502 double pedal I believe it is, but they didn't have it there at GC. I looked over my shoulder and seen the 3000's new on a shelf and said why not. Well I didn't know much about drumming nor hardware about 10 years ago and sort of rushed back into it a couple years ago so that's my fault. Though I don't really like to do used and I guess I should have bought something else new but cheap for the time being but was trying to keep everything of the same company. Now that I look back that was silly, I know. I can only learn and grow from my mistakes. Though I know A LOT more now and can't wait to do the whole buying experience again some day lol!

Honestly though they're not bad pedals and for pedals in their range they are very very solid but a bit over priced. I could kick myself for paying the $200 for them but like I say you live and learn right?

You could get a notoriously better 5002 for around $130-150 on Guitar Center's website. Definitely a great price for such a solid pedal. Don't bother with the 7000 series unless you are absolutely sure those are the ones you want over the 5002s.

I would say that if you want a "turbo" style cam then 7000's can be ok...They are easier to find than 5000 turbos in my experience...

Back