Reeeaaally Resonant Tom Combo?

NIMBY

hey there forum-goer's, got a question for all you Evans Experts that's been on my mind for some time now.

its time to re-head my Tama Superstar Hyperdrive. I've been wrestling with the idea of swapping from Remo to Evans for a few months now and have finally decided it's what needs to be done.

I've been using Coated Ambassadors over the crap stock heads for well over a year now (i know, please don't murder me!) and i want to know what kind of head combo from Evans will give a really bright, open, full tone with as much sustain as possible.

I've narrowed it down to using EC-Resonants for resonants (i tried them on another kit of mine and loved them), just a little uncertain about batters.
I was thinking along the lines of Clear G1's? or Coated G1's, which ever ones will give me more sustain.

So thats my situation, all help will be much appreciated

PEACE.

The EC resos are not "Reeeeeeaaally" resonant.

They are meant to control some resonance.

Get the genera glass instead.

You sound like you want a single ply head with no muffling of any kind. That warms my heart. The Genera Glass will be probably the brightest sound you can get, the standard G1 genera will be a little warmer but still as open as it gets.

You sound like you want a single ply head with no muffling of any kind. That warms my heart. The Genera Glass will be probably the brightest sound you can get, the standard G1 genera will be a little warmer but still as open as it gets.

...and the aquarian classic clears warmer still.

The EC resonant will be darker and less open than the other choices.

Basically you need to choose between sustain and brightness: The resonant glass is a 7mil head, so it will be brighter but with less sustain. The regular G1 clear is a 10mil head, so it will be somewhat warmer but with more sustain.

Before spending a bunch, you might try getting a G1 coated batter and both a resonant glass and a G1 clear for just one drum, say a 12". Put the batter on and then compare the sound of the resos and see what you like. You should be able to get a pretty good idea of what a set of them will sound like without spending a bunch.

If it's any help: I'm a coated Ambassador-over-clear-Ambassador kind of guy. For what it's worth, I find the Evans G1coated/G1clear combo to be a smidge warmer than the coated Amb/clear Amb combo, with sustain about equal. I like them both, just prefer the Ambassadors.

You might want to check out this link, where Gatzen compares the sound of different resos.

By the way, you could perform the same experiment using Remo heads, get a clear Diplomat and a clear Ambassador for the same drum and see how they sound with your coated Ambs. Stock resos usually suck.

If it's any help: I'm a coated Ambassador-over-clear-Ambassador kind of guy. For what it's worth, I find the Evans G1coated/G1clear combo to be a smidge warmer than the coated Amb/clear Amb combo, with sustain about equal. I like them both, just prefer the Ambassadors.

My kit will have the same thing this weekend. I have just finished swapping between glass/g1 and ec reso.

The clear amb/clear amb produced the desired results. (Although I am using classic clears)

The EC resonant will be darker and less open than the other choices.

Basically you need to choose between sustain and brightness: The resonant glass is a 7mil head, so it will be brighter but with less sustain. The regular G1 clear is a 10mil head, so it will be somewhat warmer but with more sustain.

Before spending a bunch, you might try getting a G1 coated batter and both a resonant glass and a G1 clear for just one drum, say a 12". Put the batter on and then compare the sound of the resos and see what you like. You should be able to get a pretty good idea of what a set of them will sound like without spending a bunch.

You might want to check out this link, where Gatzen compares the sound of different resos.

By the way, you could perform the same experiment using Remo heads, get a clear Diplomat and a clear Ambassador for the same drum and see how they sound with your coated Ambs. Stock resos usually suck.

The link you posted is the video that turned me onto EC-Reso's in the first place.
When it was compared to the G1, it rung out slightly more and sounded much full-er (?) also it had the tone i am after.
So i guessing that throwing a Clear G1 with give it the brightness that the EC-Reso takes, and also a tad more sustain?
I could be wrong be all means but, this is what seems logical to me :D

Last edited:
I would go for G1 clears over G1 clears. This will be the warmest, brightest, most resonant sound you can achieve. Adding more resonance and brightness will also result in more overtones. (usually)

If you're ever in a recording situation, I find that the thinner heads tend to project the resonance through the mics without the overtones.

Overall I think you would be happy with G1 bottoms and clear/coated G1's on top.

I would go for G1 clears over G1 clears. This will be the warmest, brightest, most resonant sound you can achieve. Adding more resonance and brightness will also result in more overtones. (usually)

If you're ever in a recording situation, I find that the thinner heads tend to project the resonance through the mics without the overtones.

Overall I think you would be happy with G1 bottoms and clear/coated G1's on top.

I think I'm going to get clear G1's over clear G1's.
If the overtones are a little too much, upon next re-skinning ill try the EC-Reso's.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I second this approach.

I use the EC Resos with coated EC2's on a Mapex M Birch, after a few days of tweaking the tuning, I think I got the combo I'm going to stick with. I tried Remo, Aquarian, and Evans, Evans are to me, the best.

I have just completed swapping drumheads. My kit is now Aquarian classic clears over classic clears. They are the same thickness film as G1/clear ambassadors.

This sound is the most versatile and warm i could have asked for. Going to 2-ply clears on top makes the sound more closed in. That sounds fine for certain applications, but g1/g1 weight is the best all around.
The ec reso was definitely darker and more closed in.

I was sold watching the most recent dvd's from Steve Smith and Todd Sucharman. Todd's kit sounded even richer than Steve's.

Back