Nylon tips

*raises hand* ooh! ooh! me!

lol

I use them mostly to get brighter sounds on the hi-hats and ride, especially the bell of the ride.

Pro-Mark Oak Nylon Tip 5A's, that's my stick.

I like nylon tips because they last longer. The wood tips chip. I know, finger nail polish will make them last longer but I really don't want to hassle it.

I like nylon tips because they last longer. The wood tips chip. I know, finger nail polish will make them last longer but I really don't want to hassle it.

really? finger nail polish on wood tips? never heard of that trick, sounds cool.

I assume you would use clear nail polish so it doesn't rub color off on your heads and cymbals?

Yep, it's an old trick, but then I am an old guy
wink.gif

lol

I use them mostly to get brighter sounds on the hi-hats and ride, especially the bell of the ride.

I think I'm going to try myself some Pro Mark sticks soon because I keep hearing great things about them... Everyone seems to hate Vic Firth sticks around here but I've never had a problem with them.

I agree with the brighter sounds with nylon tips on hi-hats and rides though, it's noticable even to someone who isn't incredibly picky about specific tones like me... Although I don't know about the bell of the ride, I usually use closer down the side of the stick to get that more powerful *DING!* out of it than the tips, not enough mass for the tips to bring out that sound... at least how I play.

lol

I use them because I like that definition on the ride (especially the bell) and sometimes on the hats.

You can feel it as much as hear it.

Lets call in the technophiles. If I had to guess, I'd say the nylon tip has a smaller contact patch on the cymbal and also a briefer contact period than wood.

Am I right?

I use them because I like that definition on the ride (especially the bell) and sometimes on the hats.

You can feel it as much as hear it.

Lets call in the technophiles. If I had to guess, I'd say the nylon tip has a smaller contact patch on the cymbal and also a briefer contact period than wood.

Am I right?

By no means would I call myself a technophile but I think basic physics and the fact that the nylon has more general resistance to other things because of its density compared to wood gives it more bounce...

I don't know if what I said came out right but I'm agreeing with tou basically at least on the contact period lol.

I like the idea of nylon tips, especially for practice sticks being that they last longer. However, I can't stand the sound of them, way too harsh... They can be beneficial on cymbals like Ks that are really dark and dry if you need them to project more. I might start getting sticks with nylon tips to keep at home to practice with and save the wood tips for performances.

Have Ahead also but use 5b nylon also. Playing Metal, they are great on the hats and give me that xtra volume over a wood tip AND last a whole lot longer.

Personally I can't stand nylon tips. I bought a pair about 3 years ago and havn't used them since I realised what a harsh sound they produce.

I use nylon tip (NOVA) on my ekit - just because my instructor gave me a pair and that's where they ended up. I think for generic cheaper sticks, they work great. Have a good weight and are durable. He told me theyre the only sticks he uses because after 2-3 days of band practice/week and 150+ students/week, he goes through sticks, regardless of what kind he uses. In bulk I've seen them for around $40 a dozen, which isnt bad compared to the Vic Firth sticks (wood tip) that I normally use that cost almost $10/pair. I've also tried the Pro-Mark (wood tip) and theyre good sticks too (but also expensive).

I guess the only current pair of nylon sticks I have is my Vater Manhattan 7As, but I don't like to use them like my other pairs of Vater sticks because they are unevenly weighted and one sounds way different from the other. I'll stick with Vic Firth there. I had a pair of Vic Firth 5A nylons and they lasted for about five years. The pair of 5A woods I had lasted about eight years but I had to get rid of them because the tips finally reached the point where they didn't sound right anymore. Any other brand has only lasted weeks or months but VFs last for years.

I used to use nylon tips almost exclusively, because of their durability. But I always hated the fact that the stick models I liked were not available in nylon tips in local stores, and since I started breaking sticks much more often due to playing more rimshots, I started using wood tipped sticks.
The sound is not the issue for me, both have their good sides so I can live with both. Currently I prefer the wood sound, but I would get used to the sound of nylon if I started using them again.

Nylon tips are the only kind I play. I love the feel of them and eventhough they make a harsher sound than wood tips, you really cant tell in a live unplugged musical setting which is what I play in. Also you don't have to replace them after ten minutes of playing cause the tip doesn't chip or flatten out.

I play Vic Firth American Classic 7AN and Pro Mark Millinium 2 5A Nylon

Back