Waxing the bearing edges

I personally never waxed my bearing edges. If the bearing edges are smooth, the head material will just move across them uninhibited.

Dennis

I personally never waxed my bearing edges. If the bearing edges are smooth, the head material will just move across them uninhibited.

Dennis

Ah I should have mentioned that I know many people do not wax the edges. However I would like to do so - I believe it will not only ease tuning by a bit but also offer some protection.

All I want to know is what kind of wax is recommended.

If you want to ease tuning in that way swap out the metal washers for nylon ones on the lug screws. I found using anything caused a mess after a while and I dont mean using gobs of anything just dust holders.

Hi all!

What kind of wax do you guys use to wax the bearing edges of your drums?

You can use garden variety paraffin wax, like a white candle. I've used white candles b/f. Lightly rub the side of the candle on the bearing edge.

Rag off the bearing edge with pressure afterwards. The wax goes on sooo thin its not even noticeable, seals micro holes/pores in the bearing edge.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 764
Part of the trick is that you want a simple white candle, not one of the no-drip types, as they're made differently.

You can use garden variety paraffin wax, like a white candle. I've used white candles b/f. Lightly rub the side of the candle on the bearing edge.

Rag off the bearing edge with pressure afterwards. The wax goes on sooo thin its not even noticeable, seals micro holes/pores in the bearing edge.

Part of the trick is that you want a simple white candle, not one of the no-drip types, as they're made differently.

Thank you very much!
Not sure where I'll find paraffin candles here, I've only come across stearin (stearic acid) candles.
But this was exactly the info I needed! :)

EDIT: Wow just realized I have at least 100 paraffin candles at home!

Last edited:
Weird. I did this like 10 years ago to my stage custom. I really am having a hard time remembering why i waxed the edge, but i think maybe i picked it up in marching band or college. That was before I even heard of this forum.

What is the purpose of this?

I read on a drum tuning bible site that using a wax candle on the bearing edges made tuning easier and more consistent.
I did this when I re headed my latest kit, and can confirm that tuning was easy (ish, I'm not the quickest tuner) with no unexpected jumps in pitch, regardless of the size of drum.

It seems to help, as my kit is not top of the range and the bearing edges are ok but far from perfect.
On a top end kit it may not be needed.

Waxed (ie: lubricated) bearing edges were necessary when drum heads were made from animal skin, helping to stop the head from snagging on the edge. Modern plastic heads have essentially made this process redundant.

Last edited:
O agree with 017,
Mylar heads have sliding ability because the plastic head doesn't stick to the bearing edge.

Back