DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:01 PM

Default Back to the Forum and going to A.I.M.

Hey guys, I'm back after and extended break (things were a bit too heated last i was here).

I've been accepted to the Atlanta Institute of Music drumming program, and today is the first of 3 prep classes. My first real quarter is july 5th.

I'm doing the one year full time program.

Anyone possibly have any tips or words of advice for me?
The one thing I'm worried about is possibly getting bogged down because of all the material coming at me, but we'll see if that happens as I progress.

I'm excited
Old 06-16-2010, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Back to the Forum and going to A.I.M.

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be just fine!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

I was exactly where you are now 2 years ago when I walked into the AIM Summer quarter. In 2 weeks it will be exactly a year since I graduated from the program.

I loved AIM. Creig Harber and Tom Knight are great teachers and I learned a boatload of stuff there.

The first thing you always do at AIM is keep up with your practice time. You have to practice a certain number of hours or you don't graduate. I noticed that the first washouts were the guys who got 200 hours behind and just gave up.

You don't get that bogged down because they start you off slowly. But as you'll find people find the solution to getting bogged down is to just keep practicing your way out of it. I remained shocked at the number of guys who spent that kind of money then just hung out in the lounge pretending to be a part of it all. To me it was insane.

Also don't challenge Creig and those guys. Just do the program.

That was the other thing that boggled my mind. You actually had guys trying to compete with the instructors as if there was some kind of bragging rights issue. One of them had just won a major comp, but you wondered why he was there if he wasn't going to shut up and listen. Now he hangs around ATL not doing all that much, and it was his own bed he made. Why would you jack up your teachers when they are the guys you ask later for references? You don't have public shouting matches with a guy who the next day is doing a world tour with TLC.

If you have serious problems and questions with the lessons, you have to go directly to the teachers, then it's all totally cool. That's why you pay them all that money. I found those guys to be 100% approachable and without judgements. Don't get into that what will everyone think of me if I ask this stupid question garbage. Those guys have their own issues too so drop all that. Just get your money's worth.

In my experience the whole thing was very humbling because it became very obvious that I had big holes in my playing. But then you go into the practice room and you work that out until the problem goes away. You also don't worry about what the other guys are or are not doing. You stay with what YOU'RE doing, avoid the internal competitions, clean up your game and drop the ego.

Every single person I saw there sucked in public at least once and most times more. I know that I did for sure. Just know that's going to happen and shake it off. It's a one year intensive test tube to get it together. It's not real life. So treat it like that and you're cool.

I know a lot of people who have never attended them like to rag on places like AIM and MI, and none of those people know what they're talking about. And no, people don't just hand you a job when you get out, but in the end you're a million percent more prepared.

Have a good time man.

Matt
Old 06-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

hey Mattsmith..I really dug tour reply.sounds like great advice.It like what my folks used to tell me.Shut your big mouth and take it all in.....Please and thank you will get you a LONG way in this world.......To the O.P good luck just relax,and enjoy it!!!