DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 PM

Default Yamaha 9000 pre-R.C. kit - DIY question

I am almost positive i've posted this exact same question on a thread a while back, but i can't seem to find it in my history, so i'll do it again. I apologize for any redundancy;

I have an old yamaha 9000 pre-r.c. kit with the typical wine red wrap on it. I am wanting to spice it up a little but do not want to recover it, as it's not THAT big of a deal to me, with the cost/work and such. So the question is:

Have any of you ever simply put some kind of sparkle coat over a pre-existing generic wrap? seems like it would work to me. I'm not thinking anything very heavy or caking it on, just a kind of "dusting" effect with some gold flake/sparkle over the wine red. Is there any good way to do this that has already executed? I have no problem with trial and error, just thought i'd check with the upper classmen and see if it's been done before, save my self some time and money. thanks.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Yamaha 9000 pre-R.C. kit - DIY question

If I wanted to change the finish on a kit quickly and easily I'd go to:
http://www.sicskinz.com/home.html
http://www.rockenwraps.com/
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 PM

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105427

i asked a similar question a few days ago, but only received one response...
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM

just curious, no big deal; i see that my thread got moved to a more appropriate area on the site, but my Title/Tag line was changed. Reason?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 AM
Gold Member

I think its best to leave an original finish as is, unless its in bad shape. The only thing I would consider doing with these, would be to strip the wrap and put a light stain on the shells. I don't think Yamaha fully glued those wraps, so they may come off easily, but don't mark my words, I'm not sure. But, if you want a glitzier look, that's probably not the direction you would go in. If you don't want to re-wrap, I'd leave them the way they are.
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 03-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophanenick View Post
http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105427

i asked a similar question a few days ago, but only received one response...
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-ronimo View Post

...Have any of you ever simply put some kind of sparkle coat over a pre-existing generic wrap? seems like it would work to me. I'm not thinking anything very heavy or caking it on, just a kind of "dusting" effect with some gold flake/sparkle over the wine red. Is there any good way to do this that has already executed? I have no problem with trial and error, just thought i'd check with the upper classmen and see if it's been done before, save my self some time and money. thanks.

A little more info from what I know. As I said in the other thread, I've only done it on motorcycles, so take this with a grain of salt.

You don't 'sprinkle' it on, you spray it on. You'll need a powerful enough air compressor, a spray gun, a base and thinner, sparkle, respirator, and a place to do it.

After all surface preparation is done, determine your appropriate clear base, thin it down drastically, and add your sparkle to the spray cup. You're only looking to get it to stick at this point, so make it thin as possible while still allowing enough base for it to stick.
Keep your air pressure low or you'll have sparkles flying everywhere and not sticking.

In order to keep it from clumping, and to get an even finish, add some marbles or clean nuts/bolts to the spray cup and swirl it around often when working.
The size of the sparkles will determine the size of the orifice on the spray gun you'll need to use.

After you've gotten it to stick, and in the right/even amounts, you'll need to let it set up.
Beyond that, you start adding enough clear coats to fully cover the sparkles, so it's smooth to the touch. Depending on the size of the sparkles, it can take quite a few coats.

The clear doesn't need to be thinned down as much for these cover coats, but each one has to fully dry and be lightly sanded, once you've gotten to the thickness where you won't lift up or destroy the flakes.

Good luck.