DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 AM

Default Drumming Nightmares

My wife and I were talking about reoccurring dreams the other night and I mentioned to her one that I've had ever since I started playing live music 10 years ago. I was wondering if anyone else here has had similar experiences.

In my dream I'm always at a gig, usually in front of a lot of people.
Sometimes I'm with my band, sometimes I'm filling in with someone else, but it's always a song that I've played a million times.
The problem is the sticks feel like tree trunks.
I'm struggling to even keep the beat because the sticks are so heavy. It takes all my energy to reach up and hit the crash cymbal. My fills are slow and I can't keep up.
To make things worse, my seat is way too high and I'm struggling to reach the pedals. I'm playing with my tiptoes. I keep telling myself, just get through the song and then adjust your seat and pedals... But the song never ends!!!

It's totally an anxiety thing, nothing like this has actually ever happened. Any one else want to share any drumming nightmares?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Drumming Nightmares

Oh man that sounds terrible! But no I've never had any drumming nightmares. I did have one similar to yours involving my dirt bike (yz250). I dreamed that I was saddling up for a drag race against some random dude with a crowd of people around, and at the start my bike wouldn't go. I look down and the foot pegs, shifter, and rear brake turned into bicycle pedals. So I start pedaling like mad but the bike is only going 2 mph. Then I feel lower to the ground and realize I am now on my bicycle, which then morphs into one of those miniature bmx bike toys I had as a kid, and I'm left sitting on the ground looking like a loser. Not really a 'nightmare,' but it felt horrible all the same lol.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 AM
Gold Member

Oh boy, I can feel one of those "dream discussions" brewing (everyone who is bored to death by hearing other people's dreams should switch off now)!
As for me- we've all had that falling dream where you wake up just before you hit the ground?
Well, as a kid I used to have it but instead I would hit the ground, open my eyes, stand up, dust myself off and say "Well that wasn't so bad" and THEN wake up.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Renegade

I have a recurring daymare where I imagine I've been playing drums for many, many years and remain as incompetent as ever. Is it real or is it a dream - who can say? Some suspect that everything is a dream because of some quantum thingamabobby ...
Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

It sounds similar to a dream I had a lot when I was running competitively. I would be in a race, running as hard as I could, but going very slowly up hill with everyone passing me.. I would end up trying to pull myself along with my hands just trying to get some pace going.
It sounds like drumming is on your mind, just as running must have been on my mind at the time.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I have a recurring daymare where I imagine I've been playing drums for many, many years and remain as incompetent as ever. Is it real or is it a dream - who can say? Some suspect that everything is a dream because of some quantum thingamabobby ...
LMAO,I have had similar "daydmares"
Gibraltar
Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Gold Member

Loosely on topic..

Me and bandmates were doing a popular Ale Trail back in July.

We got to talking about dreams...

The Canadian Professor who is a close friend (and not in the band) had had a few scoops of ale and said, in his slurry Canadian tone....

"just think...theoretically we could all be part of the dream of one individual dog....which could wake up at any time and make us no-more"...

All that was missing, to break up the sound of silence between us, was the hushed sound of some tumbleweed blowing past.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Well, in my dreams I'm a very good drummer... then, I wake up and face the reality, and it's a nightmare :)

Mmmh... I think I'll go to bed now...
Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Well, in my dreams I'm a very good drummer... then, I wake up and face the reality, and it's a nightmare :)

Mmmh... I think I'll go to bed now...
ARGHHHHH we've had the same dream....

Woeeeeee
Old 03-26-2013, 06:22 PM

I occasionally have PTSD-esque dreams reliving some of the disasters I've actually had happen to me while playing, but less and less often over the years. My brain has stopped making up new imaginary disasters, thank Gawd: the old real ones are good enough.

The one I have the most often (a few times a year) involves an attempted mugging that turned into a bloody brawl while loading out after a gig, but that one can't really be thought of as a playing nightmare- except in that it always starts mid-gig with me kicking along happily, starts to morph towards the end of the night, and I always seem to think "oh no, not *this* one again..."
Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 PM
"Uncle Larry"

From the sounds of your dream B_HALF, and I'm probably way off, it sounds like drumming, while actually playing, is a source of anxiety. Could you confirm or deny this?

I rarely remember my dreams. I can't recall one drumming dream, whatsoever.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Gold Member

I have had the same drummer dream for the last 25 years or so. I am at a huge gig, couple thousand people, and in real life I have done boatloads like this. I count the first song and just as I reach up on 4 I realize all my cymbals are missing.
It kind of came true last year, our frontman re packed the trailer and left my cymbals at his house 90 minutes away. Luckily we got a loaner set in time.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Mine is generally my old lead singer from years ago whom we parted on really bad terms somehow talks me into a reunion show. And I reluctantly drag my drums down to some hole in the wall club, and reluctantly set up.

And the entire time I'm thinking "why am I doing this? Why am I wasting my time on this gig? We're not getting paid, we haven't rehearsed in over 10 years, no one is going to come see us, why am I letting myself getting bullied into playing a show I don't want to play?"

And I always wake up before the show starts.

Last edited by DrumEatDrum; 03-27-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 PM

The other night, I was dreaming that I was backstage at a RUSH show. They pulled me aside and told me that Neil was sick and that I had to fill in for him. I was feeling all kinds of anxiety and I kept telling them, there's no way I can do it. I'm not good enough! They kept reassuring me that I'd do fine. So, I stepped out on stage, both Geddy and Alex were smiling huge smiles at me and I began to play. Somehow, I sounded and played EXACTLY like Neil Peart. That will teach me to listen to RUSH before bed. LOL!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
From the sounds of your dream B_HALF, and I'm probably way off, it sounds like drumming, while actually playing, is a source of anxiety. Could you confirm or deny this?

I rarely remember my dreams. I can't recall one drumming dream, whatsoever.
I suffer from anxiety in general.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
The other night, I was dreaming that I was backstage at a RUSH show. They pulled me aside and told me that Neil was sick and that I had to fill in for him.
Awesome ... I was waiting for someone to dream about their favorite band :)

My (sleeping) dream which I've had more than once ... an outdoor show by Foo Fighters. We're backstage before the start, and both Dave AND Taylor are good-naturedly telling me to "go for it, get up there!" In the dream, I'm of course terrified ... but it always ends before I actually get to play anything :)

Worse for me are the dreams where I've been dragged on to play guitar with some unnamed band I've never heard nor seen -- in the dream I'm thinking, "I only know three chords on this thing ... couldn't they have at least brought me up to play drums?" :)

CV
Old 03-27-2013, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV.drums@me.com View Post
Awesome ... I was waiting for someone to dream about their favorite band :)

CV
Well, it would have been a better dream if I had been asked to fill in for Bonzo. But, I'll take RUSH any day. lol!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 AM

I had a dream that Metallica were playing in my high school gym. Lars for some reason or another wasnt able to play so they got me onstage to fill in for him. His drumkit was massive (as in Giant sized). I played the show and did it well. I was annoyed that I wasnt able to play fills as I had to play the songs note for note. Lars talked to me afterwards and said I did OK. I was thinking are you kidding me! I blew it out of the water. I am not even a Metallica fan!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:00 AM
Platinum Member

I had a terrifying dream last night where I was very late for work and my boss was furious with me. Not really drumming related though. For all my practicing and playing I have never dreamed about musical things.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 03-27-2013, 04:48 AM
Silver Member

I've only ever had two drumming-related nightmares.
The first was had me filling in for some famous drummer on stage for some reason. The kit was completely and utterly foreign to me, and for some reason, both bass drums were a good 3 feet out in front of the kit, so no matter what I did, I could not reach the pedals. Everyone waited on stage, and I couldn't do anything.
The second was me just walking by my kit, and inexplicably collapsing into it, caving in the bass drum, cracking cymbals as they kit into other stands, and just generally wrecking the kit. After I woke up from that one, I went out and made sure my kit was indeed okay. Paranoid? Perhaps ;)

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I had a terrifying dream last night where I was very late for work and my boss was furious with me. Not really drumming related though. For all my practicing and playing I have never dreamed about musical things.
I have had 'nightmares' like that too. It's kinda sad that being late for work is such a monster in our minds, but I guess that's anxiety keeping us well behaved and in our jobs.

To the OP - I haven't had a drumming dream like that but I have had dreams where I've been attacked and suffer from the same tree trunk movement/being incredibly slow or powerless.

Funny thread.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beam Me Up Scotty View Post
The second was me just walking by my kit, and inexplicably collapsing into it, caving in the bass drum, cracking cymbals as they kit into other stands, and just generally wrecking the kit.
This is the funniest thing I've heard all day.

I had a dream once where I was convinced that I could make my own drumheads with paper and a bunch of aluminum tubing I had for some reason. I went into a fluorescently colored room and began folding large sheets of butcher paper into drumhead shapes using frisbees as a base, then I taped the head to the aluminum. Put them on the kit and they sounded like Dave Weckl's kit on Live (and Very Plugged In). Then one of my friends broke it and I got really angry at him and for some reason he bought me a Mike Mangini-sized rack. Then I woke up.

Also, the sky was a weird green color for some reason.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

I had a dream the other month that I was the touring drummer for One Direction.

If that wasn't bad enough!!! I was that unenthusiastic about it I was sure I'd be able to sail through the show. I took my seat on opening night, the lights went up and the keyboardist started the opening number and I froze in front of thousands of people as I didn't know how to play their songs.

Then I woke up sh*tting myself, cursing myself for being so big headed.

That was some crazy, scary dream....
Old 03-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

I had a nightmare that I read a post on the DW forum about a young drummer who was wearing a cape and had an anxiety attack,started running away,knocked down some girl while running away,got punched by some guy and had his mother go back to pack out his DW drums..........................oh wait....I DID read that.:)

Steve B
Old 03-28-2013, 06:44 PM

Last night my dream involved me and my band playing our first gig on a maaasssivee stage, and i had 2 810 bass cabs on their side next to me, I had to go plug them in and by the time i got back our set was finished! hahah
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 PM

my nightmare always involves gear set up. Either I have to move the whole kit or something is missing that I can't find and can't play without. Just a variation on the "late for work" thing, I guess
Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
Loosely on topic..

Me and bandmates were doing a popular Ale Trail back in July.

We got to talking about dreams...

The Canadian Professor who is a close friend (and not in the band) had had a few scoops of ale and said, in his slurry Canadian tone....

"just think...theoretically we could all be part of the dream of one individual dog....which could wake up at any time and make us no-more"...

All that was missing, to break up the sound of silence between us, was the hushed sound of some tumbleweed blowing past.
Or a dog bark!!!!!........................