DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:56 PM

Default Potential Damage to Vintage Drums

Hi there,

I would appreciate any advice or thoughts on this. I keep my vintage Ludwig 3-ply drums stored in hardcases in a smallish room away from but near a radiator (which is rarely on and if, only for short periods). The room temperature is usually around 10°C/50°F unheated in the winter. The central heating was accidentally turned up full blast one night for about 12 hours gradually increasing the temperature to a max of about 22°C/72°F. I found the room uncomfortably warm. This is a once off but was wondering if this particular incident is cause for concern and could this heat increase have caused damage to the vintage shells/chrome? I also had a vintage Supra in the room that was stored in a cardboard box. I believe the hardcases may have helped somewhat?

Cheers
Old 01-18-2017, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Potential Damage to Vintage Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocajón View Post
Hi there,

I would appreciate any advice or thoughts on this. I keep my vintage Ludwig 3-ply drums stored in hardcases in a smallish room away from but near a radiator (which is rarely on and if, only for short periods). The room temperature is usually around 10°C/50°F unheated in the winter. The central heating was accidentally turned up full blast one night for about 12 hours gradually increasing the temperature to a max of about 22°C/72°F. I found the room uncomfortably warm. This is a once off but was wondering if this particular incident is cause for concern and could this heat increase have caused damage to the vintage shells/chrome? I also had a vintage Supra in the room that was stored in a cardboard box. I believe the hardcases may have helped somewhat?

Cheers
Don't worry, the drums will be fine. The thing that will damage any musical instrument is sudden fluctuations in temperature. Instruments will acclimate to gradual temperature changes and be just fine.

Regarding the chrome or other non-wood parts, constant exposure to intense humidity or coastal (salty) air will damage them. As long as they're kept dry and indoors you have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Not worth your time or attention mate.

Temperature extremes may be of concern. But 10 to 22 degrees isn't even worth thinking about.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:22 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Not a concern in that range. The only issue is if moisture builds up inside the hard cases. TRy some of those moisture packs inside the cases and checked periodically if they are to be stored for any length of time.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:57 AM

Like any fine wood, they can be damaged by moisture and extreme temperature. Just keep them high and dry. They're vintage for a reason because they've been around a long time. Heads, a different story. When I 1st. started drumming I was borrowing a set of late 50's Ludwigs...with skin heads.When the temp of the room was warm all was ok, but when it got cold, that skin would stretch tight and raise the pitch.He said the drums came with those heads on it.But they sounded great.RLRRLRLL :)
Old 01-18-2017, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

They'll be OK but I totally get your concern even though my Luddy is players condition.

I've had wedding gigs in the summer in a marquee, nothing but material separating you from the kitchens behind you and in true English tradition it's raining. I had one gig like that that really killed the tuning.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:32 AM

I got temporarily banned there but just wanted to say thanks very much folks for your replies, much appreciated!