DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:51 AM

Default 13" Ludwig Piccolo Snare

Hey guys, so about 6 months ago my gmom moved into this house and asked me to help clean up and what not. I went down the basement and looked around there wasnt much. I opened these cabinets to find a vintage white 13" Ludwig Piccolo snare. I was like MINE. It was missing a lug and was none of them were tight. I brought it home cleaned it completely and tuned it up. It sounds awesome but the throw off was broken.. So now I gutted the whole thing and im gonna order a new throw off, snare strand and get new heads. Im very excited to see the finished project. Ill post a picture later of what it looks like now and then eventually when its all finished. Thanks for reading, I wanted to share
Old 09-30-2012, 03:04 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: 13" Ludwig Piccolo Snare

When you get it back together put some photos in the Your Gear section.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPaps View Post
Hey guys, so about 6 months ago my gmom moved into this house and asked me to help clean up and what not. I went down the basement and looked around there wasnt much. I opened these cabinets to find a vintage white 13" Ludwig Piccolo snare. I was like MINE. It was missing a lug and was none of them were tight. I brought it home cleaned it completely and tuned it up. It sounds awesome but the throw off was broken.. So now I gutted the whole thing and im gonna order a new throw off, snare strand and get new heads. Im very excited to see the finished project. Ill post a picture later of what it looks like now and then eventually when its all finished. Thanks for reading, I wanted to share
That drum with all original parts may be worth quite a few dollars.If you start drilling holes,and use non original parts,you'll destroy any collectable value that it has.Depending on condition,originality and finish,I've seen Ludwig picclos go from 150 to 7,000 bucks.

Why not post some pics.The original parts are available used.It would be a shame to ruin a piece of history.

Steve B
Old 10-01-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
That drum with all original parts may be worth quite a few dollars.If you start drilling holes,and use non original parts,you'll destroy any collectable value that it has.Depending on condition,originality and finish,I've seen Ludwig picclos go from 150 to 7,000 bucks.

Why not post some pics.The original parts are available used.It would be a shame to ruin a piece of history.

Steve B
I dont plan on drilling anything, I know better than that! my uncle has been drumming for about 40 years now and he would kill me if I did something that dumb. I looked up new throw offs, they have the p-83 that should fit im hoping. And the original snare wires were a 12 strand but whoever owned it previously broke one strand off each end making it a 10 strand that buzzed all crazy... Its a shame cause they were nice vintage ludwigs. I understand what you mean completely though, id like to use it more than anything it has great tone and snap. My uncle said its maple and the finish coating inside caught my eye first. Anyway, check it out

Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member

Ludwig have a strainer to fit the piccolo's (the same one as is found on the 13x3 Black Beauty). I'm not sure of the model number but it will easily be found in their parts catalogue. See it here: http://www.ludwig-drums.com/usasnares_blackbeauty.php

You might find a P-83 sits a bit tall for that drum (not to mention the snare cord holes are a PITA). Given it looks like a Monroe badge (dating it later than 1985), it wouldn't have originally come with a P-83 anyway, so it's not as if you're ruining the "original vibe" of the thing.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Ludwig have a strainer to fit the piccolo's (the same one as is found on the 13x3 Black Beauty). I'm not sure of the model number but it will easily be found in their parts catalogue. See it here: http://www.ludwig-drums.com/usasnares_blackbeauty.php

You might find a P-83 sits a bit tall for that drum (not to mention the snare cord holes are a PITA). Given it looks like a Monroe badge (dating it later than 1985), it wouldn't have originally come with a P-83 anyway, so it's not as if you're ruining the "original vibe" of the thing.
The p-83 product details says it fits drums smaller than 4 inches deep, so I messaged them to see what the hole spacing size is. As long as it fits and functions then its cool. The one that was on there was missing the latch, so it would loosen the snares as I would play.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/350151...m/100_3155.JPG

Im trying to compare it to the broken one, they look identical
Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM

I might be mistaken, but is there a difference between the p-83 and the p-83 elite? Because im looking at the elite for my snare. I know p-83 and 85 have the same hole spacing which is way too big for my snare
Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPaps View Post
I might be mistaken, but is there a difference between the p-83 and the p-83 elite? Because im looking at the elite for my snare. I know p-83 and 85 have the same hole spacing which is way too big for my snare
Yep, there's a difference. The P-83 Elite, is what you are after. Didn't know that's what it was called until I googled it after your post, but the P-83 Elite is certainly made for Ludwig piccolos: http://www.amazon.com/Ludwig-Elite-P.../dp/B006RJQ58Y

The regular P-83 is the old strainer that Ludwig used to use on their snare drums before it was susperseded by the P-85 in the 70's: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUPER-CLE...item53eef3e576
Old 10-02-2012, 02:33 AM

Shweeet, the amazon one was in my bookmarks to buy too lol. Thanks for helpin me out to those who replied. I compared the broken one and it literally looks the same. Ill probably order it next week sometime
Old 10-03-2012, 05:03 AM

I ordered the p-83 elite today, along with Gibralter 12 strand snare wires. I'm supposed to go to sam ash this weekend to pick up heads. Any suggestions on recommended piccolo heads? I have an idea on what to grab but figured I would ask... I'm looking at Aquarians.

I didn't wanna get snare wires but the original ones were trashed. They were nice too with Ludwigbin cursive on the ends. Whatever sounds good though matters
Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 AM

I used the old heads for now, it still sounds alright. I'm happy everything worked out I can't stop looking at it
Old 10-10-2012, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

Great stuff mate. Good to see some life back in the old girl.

Enjoy!!