20" or 22" kick

brady

Platinum Member
I would like to hear your thoughts on the versatility of a 20" vs 22" bass drum.

I recently gigged on a kit with a 20" (my first time playing one). It was tuned a little lower than I'm accustomed to on my 22" but my initial thought was that I liked the size and the sound seemed really punchy. However, my (BD mounted) cowbell was lower than I'm used to...

The real problem though is how to choose between a 20" or 22" for my new kit. Our band plays a pretty wide range of styles. We have a lot of straight-ahead rock tunes, a couple funkyish numbers, some ballady songs and will probably end up with a county-sounding song the way it's going now.

I know a 22" will cover all this ground, but will a 20" do the job? I've checked out most of the threads regarding the 20"/22"/24" debate but didn't find any definitive answers on the 20".

For those that run a 20", how do you usually tune it? Can/should you port the front head?

I currently run an Aquarian SKIII with a Regulator reso. Would this combo work on a 20?

played a 20" with factory heads ot my friends house, and I found that it was definatly punchier. Sounded more like the miced bass drum sound. the only 24" Ive played was a 24" pizza and it was delicious. and mine is a 22, but so is everyones

My 20" Yamaha oak custom is loud and punchy. W/ nothing in it loud and boomy, not 26" boomy, but more than you'd think. I keep a small pillow in it most of the time to control the volume because we play a lot of jazz.
But really between the 2 sizes I don't think it a question of volume, but rather sound. For example I just saw Jack Dejohnette in Montreal and his 16" BD was always heard.

I own a 20x16" and a 22x18" and both are great. The 22" is far more versatile, IMO. There are loud situations where the 22" can hold it's own and sounds great...and it also sounds great in more quiet, acoustic settings. The 20" sounds great with a band that isn't as loud but can't keep up in loud, amplified music. On their own, without the band, both sound excellent and it's hard to pick a favorite.

Both a 20 and 22" would work for anything really.

If you're playing mic'd gigs then the punch of the 20" would make soundcheck a little easier on the tech because it'd naturally have a little shorter sustain and more punch than the 22" (depending on tuning of course) which is generally the most compromising/pleasing bass sound.

Although a 22" would give you extra volume and depth, the 20" still has that punch to make it good for rock. I play in a pop punk band and i've played 20s, 22s and 24s and the 20 was just about my favourite. As you'd expect, the 20" was punchy and short, the 24" was thick, powerful and quite punchy (with help from an EMAD 2 and a whole blanket) and the 22" was in the middle.

I could go on for ages but the bare brunt of it is, if it was MY cash and i had enough of it, I'd get a set with a 20" kick then another with a 24". I've played enough 22s in my life and have in a way got bored of them.

xoxo

you can play jazz with a 22" , but you can't play led zeppelin with a 20". get the idea ?

by the way, 22" is the standard of the industry because of it's versatility

Well I took my 22" (18X22") and got it sounding very boomy like a 24" that's with an Aquarian Super-Kick I and the stock Ludwig Smooth Black as the reso and a bed sheet (Not blanket rolled up against the reso gives me a great boom but I can make it sound like it's got a punch in no time.

Hell, get 'em all! Get the 18", and then all of them up to a 26". Then you can't say you don't have what it takes, bass drum-wise.

Actually, I've played 22" all my life, and had a little stint with a 24" on one kit, then a Gretsch Catalina with the 18". Oddly enough, if you do alot of gigs where you're mic'd up, they all sound the same, it's just a difference in the amount of air you're pushing around. But of course, it looks cooler to have the big bass drum if you're doing alot of rock n roll, and a tiny one if you're doing jazzy things...

22" is good because you won't have a problem walking into a store and being able to get a head for it. It's getting that way for 20", but not quite yet.

I now roll with a 20" and love it. I finally took David Garibaldi's advice and went with a 20" (He said he did all those early Tower of Power albums with a little 12", 14", 20" jazz kit in an early interview. Danny Seraphine from Chicago is a big proponent of the 20" as well. Even the guy from Air Supply, but you didn't hear that from me). I leave the front head in tact and it sounds rather monstrous. I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference on a rock n roll gig. Plus, I'm shorter than average and like having everything a little lower.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

As I was afraid of, after all the responses, it's split right down the middle. Which, I think, is a testament to the versatility of both sizes.

Bo - I'm pretty short too which is part of why I like the compactness of the 20" so much. I didn't know so many others, rockers at that, used a 20". Do you know how long Danny Seraphine has used one? I like the sound of Chicago's classic tracks. I wonder if he used one then. Oh, and I would keep that Air Supply bit to yourself... ;-)

Enrico - The only place I would play Zepellin would be at home where it really isn't an issue, but I see your point.

Zambizzi - Your response sums up exactly why I am on the fence on this issue.

PeniScott - I like the soundcheck comment. Anything I can do to help the sound tech get a good sound is always nice. And also, could I have YOUR cash to make my decision easier?

PeniScott - I like the soundcheck comment. Anything I can do to help the sound tech get a good sound is always nice. And also, could I have YOUR cash to make my decision easier?

'Fraid not ;)

Especially since i just spent most of my money on a new bass head. Suddenly an Aquarian SuperKick 1 has given new life to my 22" kick drum.

I take back part of my previous comment!
xoxo

I have 22, 20, and 18 inch bass drums with three different kits.
I love them all!!!

The 22 is classic great sounding, The twenty is versatile. The eighteen is a joy to bop with.
I can't give you an answer either!

Why not order your new kit with both a 20 and a 22?
I know many drummers that do that. They also order a 14 and a 16 inch floor tom for more set up options.

Last edited:
Why not order your new kit with both a 20 and a 22?
I know many drummers that do that. They also order a 14 and a 16 inch floor tom for more set up options.

I was going to but apparently PeniScott retracted his (her?) offer.

I may have to hear a 20 in more live situations and maybe spend some more time on one before I make a final decision.

I was going to but apparently PeniScott retracted his (her?) offer.

I may have to hear a 20 in more live situations and maybe spend some more time on one before I make a final decision.

Noooo no no no, i mean i take back my comment about getting bored of 22s because i've played so many.

I literally just put the SuperKick 1 on my bass and after some quick tuning and very little playing with the pedal, it sounds monstrous in the best possible way. It's got so much low end resonance that the hardware and a few things in my room were vibrating and rattling!

Just thought i'd say that, i'm very pleased with the power of that Aquarian. I'll scarcely buy a different head from this point. I love it!
xoxo

Noooo no no no, i mean i take back my comment about getting bored of 22s because i've played so many.

I literally just put the SuperKick 1 on my bass and after some quick tuning and very little playing with the pedal, it sounds monstrous in the best possible way. It's got so much low end resonance that the hardware and a few things in my room were vibrating and rattling!

Just thought i'd say that, i'm very pleased with the power of that Aquarian. I'll scarcely buy a different head from this point. I love it!
xoxo

Oh...gotcha now.

Yeah I use that head on my kick too. Well, the SKIII actually. It's basically the SKI with a Power Dot. Best head I've ever used. I too love the rattling the shelves effect I get. Come to think of it, I may miss that going to a 20"...

Without even reading the other replies.......get a 22" and get to work!

I have an 8x20 (Yes, I said 8x20!) inch kick that came with my Pearl Rhythm Traveler kit.
I put an SK I as the batter and I put a thick integrally muffled two ply head on the front (The batter that came with the drum became the reso) I ported the reso.

This drum kicks ass and I get compliments from other drummers about this bass all the time. I can't believe the sound that this shallow drum makes!
The drum has a thick, low, distinctive, dirty, thump-like punch!

I added some ddrum dou fade maple toms to the mix.

Attachments

• 0520002112a.jpg
    0520002112a.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,208
  • 0520002112.jpg
    0520002112.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,204
In a Texas Country / Texas rock band I played in recently I gigged for the most part with a vintage Pearl with a 20 x 14" kick and 8x 12 and 9 x 13 and 16 x 16 toms. It was enough to get the job done and sound good.

I then bought a used 1997 Rockstar Custom with a 22 x 16 inch kick, 12 x 10 and 13 x 11 and 16 x 16 inch toms. These played loud and proud. I wanted deeper toms and bass.

Both guitar players and the bass player complained a day after the gig the drums were "loud". I played at my normal levels, NOT miced. HaHa!!

So all three guitar players turned up their volumn knobs.

Back