Steve Morrison

Re: Steve Morrison - pro drum tech (Tommy Lee)

I saw the show a few weeks ago. It was my second time seeing the tour. The sound was great. Not nearly as loud and blurred out as the first time I saw it. If you have not seen it and you are a fan, it is well worth seeing. I would go again if I could.

work box

for a beginning drum tech...
a) what kind of tools would i need for my work box?
b) what exactly is the drum tech's job?

thanks

I heard that Tommy got the idea for the spinning kit from seeing a basement tape on MTV by a MLPS band Chameleon, featuring Charlie Adams on 4 piece kit with a half horse motor. And a helmet. Can you confirm?

hevy kevy said:
I heard that Tommy got the idea for the spinning kit from seeing a basement tape on MTV by a MLPS band Chameleon, featuring Charlie Adams on 4 piece kit with a half horse motor. And a helmet. Can you confirm?
As is so often the case, Buddy Rich was the inspiration.

Re: cool ass dude... it's ture

tleetech said:
To all cats checking out my thread: IT"S AWESOME!!! THANKS!!! Peace & Love!

You too deserve a huge thanks for taking the time out of what must be a crazy schedule to post here.

As one of the old guys here, I am certainly thankful.

Max here!!Greetings to all at this forum!! The thread is very interesting, read with pleasure..

hey Steve, thanx for all info you posted here, it's AWESOME!

The question which has interested me, since then, when I for the first time have heard the Crue: what was the depth and material of snare drums Tommy used in the end of 80th beginnin 90th? please tell me if you know...i saw some live concert videos where he played huge, 14x12 inches or more, marching drum placed instead of snare drum. is it true?

And when, at last, the Crue will attend Russia?

Thanx in advance, cheers!....

Wow!
Last night the Cruë was in Québec city! What an amazing show... THAT'S intertainment!

I have a question for tleetech... I want to know why you switched cymbals in a middle of a song? I have see ''probably'' you came on stage 2 or 3 times during the show to switch a cymbal, is that that Tommy hit so hard that cymbal breaks in the middle of the show or is it for a subtil change of sound?

Once again, what a show!!!

quick question... for touring drummers what are 10 important things to have on have in order of importance?

1. Lots of spare sticks
2. Spare snare head
3. Tuning Key
4. Spare pedal
5. Spare heads
6. Tools
7. Spare parts ie tension rods, springs lugs, anything you can think of
8. Cases
9. Your own water bottle
10. Your own sweat towel

lilblakdak said:
1. Lots of spare sticks
2. Spare snare head
3. Tuning Key
4. Spare pedal
5. Spare heads
6. Tools
7. Spare parts ie tension rods, springs lugs, anything you can think of
8. Cases
9. Your own water bottle
10. Your own sweat towel

Nice one... you nailed it!
don't forget a bottle of Jagermeister!!!!

Ohhh... and the idea for TOMMY to spin came to him in a dream he says... he knew it had kind of been done by Buddy, but was not a source of inspiration.

Yo,
I want to know if the lack of reaction from the crowd have disapointed Tommy in Québec city? At some moment, Tommy has try to make the crowd react but the language difference has seems to make everything harder...

P.S. Excuse my really bad english... I'm a french canadian too after all.

i just fifnished reading this and relized that tommy lee was sitting answering questions while i was starting reading this (i went to dinner and played my drums for i bit as an "intermission") but anyways. welcome to the forum dude kinda belated i know but oh well. i hae a couple questions (1) what pdp rack is it that tommy uses? (2) with the kit covered in the fur i know that other guy (cant remember the name and to lazy to look back) said it wasnt glued or stuck on...do you leave the fur on the whole time or take it off when you tear down the kit and put it back on when you set it up? (3) is tommy gonna make an instructional video anytime soon or ever? (4) can i have your job?

tleetech said:
Nice one... you nailed it!
don't forget a bottle of Jagermeister!!!!

Ohhh... and the idea for TOMMY to spin came to him in a dream he says... he knew it had kind of been done by Buddy, but was not a source of inspiration.

Im a Crown Royal guy!!!!!!!
Are Crue planning on coming back to London Ontario Canada, or close by? If so I'll gladly share a bottle with Tommy at one of our fine adult entertainment facilities.

Last edited:

tleetech said:
here's a short movie displaying T's showmanship-the classic rimshot/stick toss. It took me like two months to get this down properly. :) I passed it on to Taylor Hawkins when we were in Australia; he nailed it in five minutes. Don't pay any attention to the audio, it's the mic on my digi cam.

BTW exacty how do you do the rimshot/stick toss? Also what can you tell me about your management business. I mgiht want to talk to you seriously about it.

STEEEVOOOO! Its Mickey from The Garden. Me and my bud are coming to Providence on Wednesday. I'll try to look for ya brother. Lemme know if we could meet up at all. Peace.

Hey Steve, thanks a lot for answering so many of these questions. You've answered a lot of questions that I've had, and there isn't really much left over to ask but I'll ask anyway:

1.) How does Tommy keep hands in good condition during touring? How does he prevent himself from getting cuts, blisters, and breaks in the skin on his thumbs and fingers, and if these do occur how does he take care of them? I'm not sure if you'll know, but it's a question I've been wondering with professional touring drummers for months.

2.) Also, since he's such a hard hitter; does he go through cymbals often?

I was also going to ask how you remember the placement of everything on his set to his preference, but I'm pretty sure that has been answered before.

Hopefully you can get the time to answer my questions!

Thanks.

^^^^^
Hope this helps, for the angles and placement question, I asked Steve earlier, this is what he said:

I orginally got all the right angles by having Tommy sit down at the kit(we were on a rental kit for all the publicity dates[12/04-1/05]) and get everything in a comfortable place. I measured the height of all the cymbals, toms, etc. from the ground to the titler or rim. All the settings were secured with memory locks at every adjustment. When we were getting ready to start the tour(1/05), I designed the "Red, White & Chrome" kit based around these measurements. I used the same method building the "Dog In A Blender" kit. As far as getting everything completely dialed in every show- it took at least a good two weeks worth of shows to get everything the way he liked it without any incidents... It was pretty stressful early on.
2) Tommy is very specific when it comes to placement of everything on the kit as well as all the electronics settings. He is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the latest samples and was very involved when we were creating the ddrum sounds for the main kit as well as the flying techno kit.

Dill X said:
Hey Steve, thanks a lot for answering so many of these questions. You've answered a lot of questions that I've had, and there isn't really much left over to ask but I'll ask anyway:

1.) How does Tommy keep hands in good condition during touring? How does he prevent himself from getting cuts, blisters, and breaks in the skin on his thumbs and fingers, and if these do occur how does he take care of them? I'm not sure if you'll know, but it's a question I've been wondering with professional touring drummers for months.

2.) Also, since he's such a hard hitter; does he go through cymbals often?

I was also going to ask how you remember the placement of everything on his set to his preference, but I'm pretty sure that has been answered before.

Hopefully you can get the time to answer my questions!

Thanks.

I know!!!! I know!!!! Call on me!!!! HA HA HA

1--- He wears gloves and grip tapes his sticks.....

2--- Yes he breaks a ton of cymbals.... mostly crashes....

and the bonus question....

He has a very cool rack system..... and everything is marked.....

Am I correct Steve??????

Last edited:

Vibra-Slap'd said:
I know!!!! I know!!!! Call on me!!!! HA HA HA

1--- He wears gloves and grip tapes his sticks.....

Yeah but I would think use grip tape on his sticks would cause for more blisters since if there is any open skin rubbing against that rough surface it would cause for them to form.
Or is there some kind of special grip tape he uses?

Dill X said:
Yeah but I would think use grip tape on his sticks would cause for more blisters since if there is any open skin rubbing against that rough surface it would cause for them to form.
Or is there some kind of special grip tape he uses?

Its a special tape.... made by Ahead..... Its pretty soft feels nice with the glove on..... try it.... its like 3 bucks for a set....

http://www.americanmusical.com/item...SearchEngine--cm_pla-Feed--cm_ite-AHE-GT.html

Back