Gretsch Purewood Renown BUBINGA 6pc - New Kit - 1st Post - Tell me what you think!

DaNo

img0392h.jpg

img0391b.jpg

img0395h.jpg

img0393.jpg

I sold my 7pc Catalina Birch Kit, several snare drums, all my cymbals, and all my hardware for this:

Gretsch Purewood Renown BUBINGA (1 of 50) 6pc Kit [sold stock snare]
Tama Warlord Masai
Tama Iron Cobra Power Glide
All Zildjian K Custom Hybrids (see signature)

Let me know what you think. This is my first DrummerWorld post!

I'm currently saving up to get recording equipment, so I can post some chops on the web.

Thanks,

Dano

Last edited:
Re: Gretsch Purewood Renown BUBINGA 6pc - New Kit - 1st Post - Tell me what you think

Very very nice. Your cymbal selection is amazing as well!

Re: Gretsch Purewood Renown BUBINGA 6pc - New Kit - 1st Post - Tell me what you think

Cool, this week has been "rise of the purewoods". Say "purewood" a month ago, and nobody seemed to have one, now two back to back!

That bubinga looks nicer than tama's plain bubinga look. Costs a lot less as well.

I also like the "K's" .

Killer setup, and it's nice to see more "limited" kits.

Great kit and cymbals, and an excellent trade-up. Welcome to Drummerworld.

Thank you very much for your compliments. This set-up was definitely not cheap, but I worked hard for it. I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about drumming from this website. Keep sending your thoughts! Thanks!

real nice kit!
i'm not too fond of the pinky colour but i am sure thats just the camera!

awesome kit and man!!!! too gie for cymbals! though as i play metalcore the propaley wouldn't suit? i have never tried em. but being 11 buying £300 cymbals is almost impossible!:( but hopefully i will be getting a aax 18" or a 20" crash ride?

MOOSE

real nice kit!
i'm not too fond of the pinky colour but i am sure thats just the camera!

awesome kit and man!!!! too gie for cymbals! though as i play metalcore the propaley wouldn't suit? i have never tried em. but being 11 buying £300 cymbals is almost impossible!:( but hopefully i will be getting a aax 18" or a 20" crash ride?

MOOSE

You don't WANT to buy £300 cymbals at 11 either! It's a pretty bad feeling when you realise that it's cracked.

This is quite amazing i wonder why so many people seem to want cats rather than reknowns?

I'm jealous and don't be surprised to wake up one morning to find that I have stealthly snuck into your place and swapped out your BB with my Renowns. Shhhhhh.

Your kit is ridiculous. I love the finish and the config, and that snare...wow. What kinds of cymbals and snares did you have to sell along with your catalinas to get this bad boy setup? Either way I think you made a good move and you have yourself a kit many of us dream about. How do you like the hybrids? What about the ride in particular? Cheers, keep em comin

an incredibly sweet upgrade, great improvements all across the board, congrats on the new set up - beautiful...

Congrats! It's a Beautiful Set!

That's one hell of a trade, can I see a picture of the before?

Post #1 is Gretsch Renown Purewoods!?!?! In my best John McLane voice,"Welcome to the party, Pal."

I mean you give meaning to "come strong or don't come at all."

Seriously, nice job all the way 'round. Entire kit looks great. I, too, am a fan of the offset rack toms. There's a whole thread dedicated to those, in fact. Have fun and welcome to the forum.

Greetings..from one Purewood owner to another! Very nice kit bro!

Holy crap.
That's beautiful!

Love your cymbals, too.

How does it sound??

What other tonewood does it most resemble in sound??
Did Gretsch equip the kit with Evans heads like my Purewood mahogany
G2/G1 Emad kick..?

Beautiful drums! Welcome to the bubinga family. ;)

First, I'd like to say thank you to all you who have commented so far. It's really encouraging to have some positive feedback - especially from fellow drummers. DrummerWorld has been super cool so for. Now, time to answer these questions. :)

Your kit is ridiculous. I love the finish and the config, and that snare...wow. What kinds of cymbals and snares did you have to sell along with your catalinas to get this bad boy setup? Either way I think you made a good move and you have yourself a kit many of us dream about. How do you like the hybrids? What about the ride in particular? Cheers, keep em comin

I had a 7x13" Pork Pie Lil Squealer, 13" Pork Pie Maple, and a 14" Catalina Birch snare that I sold or traded in. I am currently employing the Warlord Masai and have a Ludwig Acrolite on the side.

The Hybrids have been great so far. I heard they are easy to break, but so far, they seem super durable. I actually bought the 17" off of eBay (it's the Namm 2009 Zildjian Model!).

The 20" ride is the BEST ride I have ever played. It's just tingy enough to cut through any type of heavy song, but dark enough to play with jazz. The crash on the 20" ride is probably my favorite part though. I highly recommend it.

That's one hell of a trade, can I see a picture of the before?

Thank you! This is the only picture I could find of my old kit (so far). In actuality, it was a trade plus an arm and a leg.

la5dfa715c41c677d63dd6b.png

How does it sound??

What other tonewood does it most resemble in sound??
Did Gretsch equip the kit with Evans heads like my Purewood mahogany
G2/G1 Emad kick..?

I agree with the YouTube videos on this one. Bubinga has both the attack and warmth of say a Birch or Maple kit. Personally, I tune my drums on the low end (with the exception of my snare), and it really booms. They are some of the nicest sounding and looking drums I've ever experienced.

The stock heads are all Evans. I just put some Aquarians on the toms and a Remo Pinstripe Ebony on the snare.

Thanks again! Keep the comments coming!

ubangabanga-a-bubinga?

Cheetah, simba,angawa! angawa! (that's Tarzan-ese for welcome to the forum)

Niiiice kit! Wish they had those out last year when i bought my ddrum kit, now there's competition for the bubinga kits at that pricepoint. The shells look awesome! I know for a fact they HAVE to sound amazing, being Gretsch for one and Bubinga for another. The grains run vertically on the drums, are they that way throughout the plies or are they cross laminated?

Back