Full DVD downloads from Hudson..

Pat Petrillo

Silver Member
Open for discussion

As some of you may know, Hudson music in now offering full digital downloads of selected products direct to your computer. (See banner ads on main page). You simply download and install a program, and you have your own store you can access 24 hours a day...it is the iTunes of DVD!

I am curious to see how drummers out there feel about this.

1) Do you think you will be using this service for future instructional DVD products?
2) Do you think this is the "way of the future" for accessing instructional video products?
3) Do you feel it is worth it, or do you still like to have a hard copy DVD to take with you and play anywhere ?
4) Do you think it will help with accessibility, especially if your store doesn't carry a DVD?
5) Will you still use Amazon?
6) If you are a retailer, how do YOU feel??

Is this the "beginning of the end" of DVD's as we know it????...(que scary music and screams..)

Look forward to hearing input, as I feel this may be the way we are going in the 21st century.

Open for discussion

As some of you may know, Hudson music in now offering full digital downloads of selected products direct to your computer. (See banner ads on main page). You simply download and install a program, and you have your own store you can access 24 hours a day...it is the iTunes of DVD!

I am curious to see how drummers out there feel about this.

1) Do you think you will be using this service for future instructional DVD products?
2) Do you think this is the "way of the future" for accessing instructional video products?
3) Do you feel it is worth it, or do you still like to have a hard copy DVD to take with you and play anywhere ?
4) Do you think it will help with accessibility, especially if your store doesn't carry a DVD?
5) Will you still use Amazon?
6) If you are a retailer, how do YOU feel??

Is this the "beginning of the end" of DVD's as we know it????...(que scary music and screams..)

Look forward to hearing input, as I feel this may be the way we are going in the 21st century.

About time I'd say. I always tend to loose some dvd's or covers, and sometimes I cant find stores who sell each respective DVD. It's all cluttered.
I dont know how they're gonne stop people from pirating though, is there a copy-protection thingy? Do you have to be online to view the dvd's? I'll check more into it, anyway.

I dont't think it will be "the end" of dvd's since people still buy Lp's and Cd's, even after iTunes and Spotify were introduced.

Well DVD will die when Blu-Ray devices become cheaper. Fortunately for the retailers, Blu-Ray discs are just too big to deliver uncompressed formats to most Internet users and hard drive space (although cheap now) is still limited. DVD is, however, (in uncompressed format) more viable. About 4Gb a download is more realistic.

I actually see this as a very good move. Personally I prefer to have DVD, but the option to be able to download an uncompressed DVD legally is certainly one that has been overdue for some time. Now that broadband connections are far more commonplace in the general consumer market, it's about time that this happened.

Well DVD will die when Blu-Ray devices become cheaper. Fortunately for the retailers, Blu-Ray discs are just too big to deliver uncompressed formats to most Internet users and hard drive space (although cheap now) is still limited. DVD is, however, (in uncompressed format) more viable. About 4Gb a download is more realistic.

I actually see this as a very good move. Personally I prefer to have DVD, but the option to be able to download an uncompressed DVD legally is certainly one that has been overdue for some time. Now that broadband connections are far more commonplace in the general consumer market, it's about time that this happened.

I reckon blue ray has a long way to go before it overtakes DVD but no doubt it, or something else will.

I'm always a bit undecided about downloads. I have the same problem with CD's. I think it's because I come from the 'physical' generation where I used to save my dinner money and buy a vinyl single on a Friday. Environmentally, downloading has to be the way to go as long as the pricing is right. It should, in my opinion, be much cheaper because you have nothing physical to produce (once the initial outlay of the system has been accounted for). Got to be a good way of paying the artists more money for their efforts? I do worry about the retailers. It's just another source of income that will pass them by.

I've just moved from my laptop to a netbook + online storage and in the new year a shiney Iphone will arrive, so I guess I'm getting there.

it's funny you asked this now because I just finished ordering a DVD that I have had consistent problems getting. It's not at my doorstep yet. :)

If I have the option to upload it, I would have done so, probably years ago.

I would definitely use this service, esp if it is cheaper. it would allow me to buy more instructional dvds. I like to have a hard copy, though so if I have a computer problem or change computers, I have a hard copy. But seriously, I have nowhere to keep them. And would only need a hard copy for specific dvds I would want for posterity. Right now I have three stacks of dvds lying up against the wall. I work in retail and know it is a big seller for stores; but you can get these dvds already so much cheaper on-line. Retailers rarely discount them. This seems like a win for buyers and you can port them in your ipod.

Merry Christmas, Pat.

Last edited:
I reckon blue ray has a long way to go before it overtakes DVD but no doubt it, or something else will.

I'm always a bit undecided about downloads. I have the same problem with CD's. I think it's because I come from the 'physical' generation where I used to save my dinner money and buy a vinyl single on a Friday. Environmentally, downloading has to be the way to go as long as the pricing is right. It should, in my opinion, be much cheaper because you have nothing physical to produce (once the initial outlay of the system has been accounted for). Got to be a good way of paying the artists more money for their efforts? I do worry about the retailers. It's just another source of income that will pass them by.

I've just moved from my laptop to a netbook + online storage and in the new year a shiney Iphone will arrive, so I guess I'm getting there.

Oh I agree with the 'physical' nature of owning a DVD or CD. A lot of the physicality was lost when vinyl (which is actually making a comeback) went out of favour, but I love to buy CDs and to hold them in my hand. With that said, the retail opportunity to download video hasn't been exploited at all really. It's certainly a good idea.

I'd also say it's about time. Most stores only carry the best sellers and that's seldom what I'm looking for. You don't say so, but I assume we can download the dvd's to disk from the computer?

I quit using amazon for music a couple of years ago. They have too many dealers that say they have everything listed in stock and they don't. It pisses me off to order something they say they have in stock to only get an email saying they don't have it and then another email a week later saying what I've ordered isn't available. It's become "buy it, and then we'll try to get it." The whole time the money is on hold with my debit card as though it's been spent.

Yes, these downloads go direct onto your computer, and are also encrypted for protection, sort of "rip proof", although a pro hacker can do it probably, which most of us are not..

So, you basically install the downloaded softward from the company, and off you go, much like iTunes..

Anyone else have an opinion, and do you think you will utilize it? Let's stay on point, and get as much opinion as possible on the subject, because the future is NOW..

Yes, these downloads go direct onto your computer, and are also encrypted for protection, sort of "rip proof", although a pro hacker can do it probably, which most of us are not..

So, you basically install the downloaded softward from the company, and off you go, much like iTunes..

Anyone else have an opinion, and do you think you will utilize it? Let's stay on point, and get as much opinion as possible on the subject, because the future is NOW..

Hi, does this mean that you have to actually install some sort of software from Hudson in order to watch the dvd, or could you actually watch it with your favourite sw?

Pat,

That looks pretty slick....I might give that a try especially since I now have a laptop in my drum room!

This is definitely the way to go. People are increasingly using their computers/phones for accessing all media - video, audio AND text.

Moreover, this is worldwide distribution with extremely low overhead - the only cost is the website.

This is why my e-course is available only as a download. ;-)

I'm understanding what you're saying Pat is that you cannot download the video to a disk to watch the video on a television. Some program from Hudson is necessary to watch the video which would require the use of a computer. If that's true, I would not be interested.

Cool, donv, that's why this is so interesting, to see who would prefer a hard copy DVD, and who would download direct to their computer to view over and over if given the choice.

Now, mind you, you can not burn the downloaded material to a DVD, as it is encrypted, I believe..

Hey Pat & Merry Christmas,

Very interesting..full DVD downloads seem like a good thing.

First, I'm waiting for a response on how many megabytes a DVD will use
up on my hard drive.
but in the meantime.. I will still use DVD's.

re:# 1. It does have good perks like (instant availability & No shipping/handling charges.)
re:# 3. Yes, I would still like a hard copy/cover & backup.
re:# 5. Yeah, I will still use amazon for hard copies & books...lol

Best,
Chazz

Pat,

I notice there's no price incentive for getting the download and wonder if this is do to concerns of undercutting your retail distributors. I guess one of the strong points is that you can get a dvd like the new Tommy Igoe, previous to its release. But without a financial incentive to download, I think I would still prefer a hard copy.

Cool, Interesting point, Ken. For you, a discount would make you take the plunge..

I think some are discounted. HGF is NOT up there yet, but it may if we eBook it..which is in the plans..

Also, future projects of mine will start as digital downloads..just trying to get a feel for things in the market place

Keep 'em comin'!

I'm understanding what you're saying Pat is that you cannot download the video to a disk to watch the video on a television. Some program from Hudson is necessary to watch the video which would require the use of a computer. If that's true, I would not be interested.

This is my personal opinion of what i think about the downloads from Hudson:

1. If i have to install some sw from a third party in order to watch the video (even if its for free), i dont want it. I will pay for the content but i will always decide what i will use to watch it, no need to start a flame right now is just my personal opinion.

2. If i have to pay, the same, for an article, where i actually, dont have a hard copy, which i can not watch everywhere (as it will only play in places where i can install their sw), it just does not work for me. Even if they say a different thing on their marketing.
At this point i will say, why do i have to pay the same when theres actually a lot less money for them in terms of production, once the copy is in the server all the rest is automatically done. Why they dont seem to understand that?

3. Is it the way to go?, absolutely, CD is dead, whatever they say, and vinyl (hope that one is right) will stay for all of us romantics. BUT, the internet connections nowdays are not that good, so we are in the hands of the operators in order to make this really big, when that comes, CD will be obsolete. Meanwhile the industry will probably slowly keep moving to Blue Ray and keep strong on the basis that in one product (1 blue ray disk) you can supply a lot of contents, which is always good, and not that easy to download.
Plus, a lot of people have a DVD player at home and they would like to use it, but even if you have a DVD player where you can plug a USB stick, you could still not play it, as you obviously need to install the sw. (ONE SECOND, this is all based in the assumption that installing their media player is a must).
Who has a PC on its sitting room converted in media player?, i do, but 99% of the world population does not, still runnin Linux so it would not help me xD.

4. Does this mean that it does not work as a business model?, No, not at all, it will work and is the way to go, but right now if you think about it, i will prefer the hard copy as its much more versatile, plus downloading 5Gb of content with my connection might not be as trendy as it looks. I suppose you could have the option of less quality less size, but if you are paying for the product.., i dont think its worth. But here i can be wrong, look at the sucess in mp3 sales, and is not the best of qualities is it?, shame all that money spend in studios for making a great recording goes to bloody hell, more info on this off topic here http://www.turnmeup.org/

However most of the people will not care on the quality of their copies (talkin' about audio here) as they are not musicians or just not that interested on the subject as its already showing.

I believe the music industry have slept on their feet and people like apple has taken a big slice of the market on an early stage because they knew what was going on, the music industry from my point of view (again) does not look at the problem in the same way, and they're loosing money. They want to keep with the old model but with the arrival of the internet that is just not viable, and they all seem confused and speak of the devil, the worst part is that is the musician first who is actually gettin' f**** up with this situation.

regards,

I think it's a good idea, but I'd like to have them cheaper, not because I don't like to pay for good products but because I have had many broken hard drives. It's a much much greater risk than my house burning down and destroying all my DVD's and therefore I'd like to pay less for material that I might suddenly lose.

A good idea, but on the two free videos I downloaded, the video and audio was horribly out of sync. Not good. I won't be buying from this until I'm sure that this won't happen again.

Back