Met Ian Paice Today :)

Pimento

Man was that ever cool, first real "pro/legendary" drummer ive ever met. Were a small city so there were only about 15 people there, and he spent a lot of time fielding questions, taking pictures and all sorts of stuff :)

So i got an autograph, picture, and with the small amount of people there, a good chance at winning one of his custom snares lol!

Yeah, very cool. Ian's a very nice guy. Loves drums. You can tell, it's his passion. You definitely rubbed shoulders with a living legend today.​

That's sweet!! I saw him play with Deep Purple last tuesday. They were spectacular! Ian has so much control over the kit, its amazing!!! I would've loved to been able to meet him, you're very lucky!! Did you ask him any questions or say anything to him?

-Jonathan

We talked about the 2006 MD Festival and he raved about the kid who won the young drummer awards .etc. I was kind of shy haha so didnt take too much of his time, but it was definitely something i wont forget :) Too bad he wasnt playing today haha.

Funny thing, meeting stars. Personally, I'm not so keen on meeting them because

1) I want their music, not them as people. As we all know some musos play like angels and behave like devils

2) I'd feel like I was imposing and they'd have to endure some tedious conversation with me that they'd had with hundreds of fans before.

Having said that, Ian was my first drum crush. A rock great.

Very cool Pimento!

My friend was Ian's tech for 6 or 7 years (maybe longer).

Really nice, down to earth guy (so is rest of band). I asked him about that old Mule solo with that fast bass drum build up. He said he used a lot of the ankle muscles to do that. Kind of a stuttering thing (that was obviously the technical way of putting it!)
Couple other things too, he was very nice.

I sat at the drum riser and got some shots a couple years ago.

IanPaiceGrip.jpg

PaiceAction.jpg

PaicePurpleLight.jpg

IPdrumming.jpg

No zoom at all on these pics. I was that close. It was pretty dang cool. :)

Sweet Pimento you & KC are lucky men, Ian has always been probably in my top 3 fav drummers his style & feel and what about those crazy tom set ups..lol

Mr Paice is a living legend among us & would love too meet him, I always said there was something in water over there in Merry Ole England......Bonham,Paice,Ward..........just 3 of the many great drummers from England.

Awesome Pics Karl..\m/

Bonzolead

He is one of the few drummers that will waste you with just a snare drum..lmao

had too say it..lol

Bonzolead

I sat in with a friends band doing Highway Star.
Their drummer sang it, and he hit that high note at the beginning of the song. It was friggin' awesome.

Great link! Pretty sure that's the concert with the Mule solo I asked Ian about...
Copenhagen 1972

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muRytmYdHKI

He starts the bass drum build up at 4:44. I love the sound of that drum...... nice singles at 5:18 too.

I sat in with a friends band doing Highway Star.
Their drummer sang it, and he hit that high note at the beginning of the song. It was friggin' awesome.

Great link! Pretty sure that's the concert with the Mule solo I asked Ian about...
Copenhagen 1972

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muRytmYdHKI

He starts the bass drum build up at 4:44. I love the sound of that drum...... nice singles at 5:18 too.
The Machine head tour great stuff I mean come on' "Made in Japan" is one of my fav. live albums of all time.......Ian Paice..........YES

Bonzolead

Yeah great drummer no doubt.

GREAT guy.. great drummer ......Highway Star, Space Truckin, Fireball, Speed King..... I love watching his videos and just listen to him talk about drums and his philosophy. I also have his Signature Snare (he purportedly used on a tour), and its an awesome snare for the money.
Must have been one of life's great moments to meet him.

He and Bonham are my two favorite rock drummers. He was so fast on the snare drum and played such cool parts. The song "Burn" has alot going on and it's a bear to play if you've ever tried, but he makes it look and sound so easy. A true rock legend, no doubt.

Mr. Ian Paice...my favourite rock drummer and playing style.

In Rock - Fireball - Machine Head - Made In Japan - Made In Europe - Stormbringer - Who Do You Think We Are? - Concerto For Group & Orchestra...Excellent albums!

Can you show some pictures of that blaze of glory...you had with Paicey?

Man was that ever cool, first real "pro/legendary" drummer ive ever met. Were a small city so there were only about 15 people there, and he spent a lot of time fielding questions, taking pictures and all sorts of stuff :)

So i got an autograph, picture, and with the small amount of people there, a good chance at winning one of his custom snares lol!

Ian Paice - best rock drummer of the 70s. This is just one guy's opinion. Peace, goodwill, and blues.

Mr. Ian Paice...my favourite rock drummer and playing style.

In Rock - Fireball - Machine Head - Made In Japan - Made In Europe - Stormbringer - Who Do You Think We Are? - Concerto For Group & Orchestra...Excellent albums!

Can you show some pictures of that blaze of glory...you had with Paicey?

Lol i just got a pic standing with him, it was really bad as i had to grab some old dude to take it, not really worth putting up, it wasnt him behind a kit at all really

Ian Paice - best rock drummer of the 70s. This is just one guy's opinion. Peace, goodwill, and blues.

+1 Another guy here with the same opinion!!!

As a teenager when I first heard Deep Purple's Machine album I became a huge Ian Paice fan instantly. I was more into guitar gods and paid very little attention to drummers back then, but Ian Paice surely was not about to be ignored.

While we are hero-worshipping Mr Paice can I just ask if anyone else has his Pearl Signature snare?

I bought mine with the kit and I have grown to like and respect it. You can see in the photo above that he is playing one, distinguishable by the locking screws on the lugs. I believe this is the only snare with locking screws and for some reason they are missing from mine.

The snare is similar to a Sensitone as you can see and is very tunable. I have been playing around with it for quite a while and it will produce a very wide range of tones. It also has a lovely deep "pop" at the moment with an Evans coated head. It's a super drum.

Back