Help! Really need some advice.

y0avz

Hello everyone.
I have a big problem and i need your advice.
Ive been playing with a band for about 3 weeks now... i practice each song every day with an mp3 player until i get it right, and i feel pretty good with it by now...
But when i come to a rehearsal with the band, I play bad, I mess up alot of times, I forget things i practiced at home, And i just cant play half as good as I play at home.
Can anyone help me on this one?

thnx.

yoav.

Sounds like nerves and not knowing the songs as well as you might think you do.

I've experienced this myself where I can play along with something thru headphones and seem to do just fine, but take off them training wheels, so to speak, and I fall over - right in front of the band.

Usually, it's just not remembering the arrangement right because I don't have to be as mindful of that when playing along to something. When I actually play with someone, suddenly it becomes clear how many changes I'm unsure of.

It is helpful, in addition to playing along with an mp3 player, to take the time to write out the road map. This forces you to get cerebral about what it is and where you're going and all that.

Do both of those, learn a few jokes, relax and have fun with it. With enough repetitions through the material, you'll be able to do it in your sleep.

Back