Joe Morello on Buddy Rich Part 3

I'm curious as to why he said that Roach wasn't "equipped for that". From what I've seen, Morello was a pretty blunt guy. Was that a dig at Roach or did he really lack the flashy Big Band era chops like Buddy and Louie? I really haven't listened to enough or Roach's stuff but from what I have seen he was really more of a contemplative Bop player.

I think he's just saying that Max Roach didn't have the flash that Buddy had, especially the Single Stroke Roll... that was Buddy's signature, and he could play it super fast. Max Roach was more of a musical drummer, so he probably didn't sit around getting his roll to be blisteringly fast. That's not to say that he wasn't fast, but he just probably wasn't a flashy as Buddy.

I think you guys really need to relax with the whole ..."music is not a competition " .... sermon

do you honestly think the guys making these records back then did not know this ?..... seriously

do you understand that these records were being made at a time when a drum solo would send an audience into an uproar ?

... a time when if Buddy was on Johnny Carson or any other TV program battling Jerry Lewis, Louie Bellson, Animal or anyone else for that matter ... everyone tuned in to be entertained

I know people personally who picked up the instrument because they saw one of those "drum battles"

it was entertainment .... and entertainment that was most of the time tongue in cheek

when in the world did people start taking this stuff so seriously

my goodness

YES! These weren't meant to be "musical"... these battles were just flash and showmanship.

Piano players had these as well, in fact most musicians were having "battles" around this time. It was just a bit of fun, and the audience would go crazy for it.

The battles weren't meant to determine who was a better drummer, they just took the top players and had them show off for an audience.

This was a huge part of how Jazz started (and Rock). People in Harlem would sit in thee basement bars and compete to see who could play the most complex lines, the fastest, on their instruments. It was fun for the players, and the audience. It's entertainment more than anything.

The drum set especially, since it was more of a gimmicky instrument early on. I think so many of the players on this forum have become disconnected from the history of our instruments and our music.

Back